By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is going to mess up this Gen

My only concern is the damm Chinese Flu. PS5 being delayed to 2021 would be a huge disappointment for me.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network
Harkins1721 said:
Some people are getting real impatient about no news on PS5. Its okay people. Take a breath. Sony will release the info when they're ready.

Well I’m sure it’s not helping that the competition has put out a steady stream of news. You are part of a dominant fan group ...it’s not becoming to get the silent treatment while the losers get showered with information. I think they said they deliberately won’t reveal the price until Xbox does first. 

But once they do talk I’m sure they will do more then fine. Sony always more or less is very traditional with their business. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

taus90 said:

1. Sony is not ready to reveal PS5 and waiting game to see what MS does regarding the price? 

If they are not ready why even do a wired interview? and if they are playing the waiting game to see what MS is going to price their console, than it just doesn't make any sense.. coz MS is not going to announce the price before e3 2020 and i doubt sony will wait till JUNE to give new details about PS5.

The Wired article is a good point. It seemed that Sony was ready to talk about the new console and then goes silent. If anything, I think this may be indicative that Sony is scared right now. Microsoft definitely seems to have more confidence. 

DraconianAC said:

Since this thread is based on speculation, I'm going to throw in my 2 cents. I may be wrong, which I've been before; however, I have a feeling the looming recession/depression has a lot to do with Sony's belt tightening. From an economic point of view, it just seems like the right play since they can't splash the cash like Microsoft can.

If you guys are not aware of it, just look up on how the FED has been keeping up the repo-market/stock market in life support by just printing money for the past few months. Interesting times are a coming.

They were pretty quite before the bear market so that's likely not it. You are right about the Repo market (think that started mid-2019), but I don't think that was the issue. I'd say it has more to do with the pricing. Reports have come out they are struggling with the price and it may be $500. That may be why they have been so quite and why they want Microsoft to talk price first. 

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

I think Sony's gonna be just fine. PS3 was a fluke in their console dominance. And let's not forget it was a huge comeback kid. It went from a distant third all the way to slightly beating Microsoft for second place.
Pricing is a huge issue to figure out for the PS5. Charge $400, and you're drowning in lost profits. Charge anything more than $600, and not many people will buy the console. I say $450-$500 is the sweet spot.
Ever since I got a PS4 Pro last summer, I'm a passionate PlayStation gamer. I haven't jumped ship from Nintendo, but rather expanded my experience. I will get a PS5 at some point, but I might wait all the way for the Slim revision. A reduced price and a better form factor than the launch model are appealing. However if it takes until 2024 or 2025 for the PS5 Slim, I doubt I can wait that long.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Kyuu said:
Some of the same people who are doom and glooming PS5 (so to speak) right now will, in 2021, be talking about how Microsoft shot themselves in the foot and handed the generation on a silver platter to Sony. But more hilarious is the paranoia from PS fans even though Sony has never been in a better position. I predicted PS5 to crush Xbox Series X in terms of hardware sales, and that "it won't matter coz it isn't the direct competition". Only a couple of months after I made that prediction and things are seemingly going as expected with Phil Spencer saying their real competition is Amazon and Google, not Sony and Nintendo.

But hey... I've been wrong before so we'll see how this pans out.

Who said doom and gloom for PS5? I know PS5 will sell more consoles next gen, no question. That said Sony was in a better position with PS2, GameCube and Xbox barely cracked 20 million+, that isn’t the case this gen so its gonna be closer then you think. 

Of course they are direct competitors, Phil just said that in the future if cloud gaming takes off and becomes mainstream, that Google and Amazon are the only companies with Cloud infrastructure. Nintendo won’t follow, they seem to be happy being hardware makers. Sony literally eating from MSs hands with Azure...MS can in theory control what Sony can do with it. All for a low low price that Amazon and Google would surely charge more for :)

That said it comes down to two fan factions having separate definitions of “winning”. Sony fans say that tradition dictates that most consoles is the victory condition. MS taking a different approach in that more active players means victory. Between console, PC users invested in Game Pass and buying their 1st party games, and depending on how much adoption XCloud has, their win condition is possible. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 15 March 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
Kyuu said:
Some of the same people who are doom and glooming PS5 (so to speak) right now will, in 2021, be talking about how Microsoft shot themselves in the foot and handed the generation on a silver platter to Sony. But more hilarious is the paranoia from PS fans even though Sony has never been in a better position. I predicted PS5 to crush Xbox Series X in terms of hardware sales, and that "it won't matter coz it isn't the direct competition". Only a couple of months after I made that prediction and things are seemingly going as expected with Phil Spencer saying their real competition is Amazon and Google, not Sony and Nintendo.

Sony "has never been in a better position" is irrelevant as console generations are big resets. Nintendo was doing poorly with the Gamecube and Wii U but the following systems were/are huge successes.Same could be said with the PS2 to PS3. So you really can't judge how well a console will do based on the old one. If fact, you'd be more often right than wrong to predict the top dog would be the loser next generation.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

One of the last things you want during a launch year, is something else much more important getting in the way of you and your product, taking all the spotlight, and slowing down if not stopping the hype train. Just think about what the Coronavirus alone is doing to XB next gen hype. When the news about the illness eventually dies down and things get back to normal, or more so, that's when PS will finally start rolling and it will be full steam ahead after that. All that new and exiting PS5 information, if it's positive, will create one large dark cloud of smoke over MS as SNY passes by with plenty of momentum. Phil's "bold" decision to start the train early, just may bite them in the a$$.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 15 March 2020

sales2099 said:
Harkins1721 said:
Some people are getting real impatient about no news on PS5. Its okay people. Take a breath. Sony will release the info when they're ready.

Well I’m sure it’s not helping that the competition has put out a steady stream of news. You are part of a dominant fan group ...it’s not becoming to get the silent treatment while the losers get showered with information. I think they said they deliberately won’t reveal the price until Xbox does first. 

But once they do talk I’m sure they will do more then fine. Sony always more or less is very traditional with their business. 

They never said it "we aren't going to show the price before Xbox".

What one higher up said is that the price isn't finished yet and that they have to think about the competitive environment.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

sales2099 said:
Kyuu said:

Who said doom and gloom for PS5? I know PS5 will sell more consoles next gen, no question. That said Sony was in a better position with PS2, GameCube and Xbox barely cracked 20 million+, that isn’t the case this gen so its gonna be closer then you think. 

Of course they are direct competitors, Phil just said that in the future if cloud gaming takes off and becomes mainstream, that Google and Amazon are the only companies with Cloud infrastructure. Nintendo won’t follow, they seem to be happy being hardware makers. Sony literally eating from MSs hands with Azure...MS can in theory control what Sony can do with it. All for a low low price that Amazon and Google would surely charge more for :)

That said it comes down to two fan factions having separate definitions of “winning”. Sony fans say that tradition dictates that most consoles is the victory condition. MS taking a different approach in that more active players means victory. Between console, PC users invested in Game Pass and buying their 1st party games, and depending on how much adoption XCloud has, their win condition is possible. 

Yes Sony signed a contract that will make them slaves of MS.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

Yes Sony signed a contract that will make them slaves of MS.

Now this is purely speculation. But I feel MS wants phones to themselves. PS Now is available on console and PC, and I think you can play on your phone but it has to be coming from your console.

But to use PSNow purely from a phone without needing to own a console, that’s what MS is trying to do with Xcloud, and as the cloud provider I would think they wouldn’t let Sony walk in on their turf using their infrastructure.