By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is going to mess up this Gen

SvennoJ said:
method114 said:

I don't think they'd go $599 either. I think $549 would be the max and anything more they would be willing to just take a loss on it.

DF did a piece on Lockhart maybe having a 4tf GPU while keeping everything else the same (except maybe 12GB ram instead of 16GG)
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-in-theory-does-a-4tf-next-gen-console-make-sense

How much would this save and will it be possible to convince consumers to go for this (appearing weaker than the xbox one x although it won't be)

Lockhart 399 4tf ?
PS5 499 9.2tf ?
Series X 549 12tf

Would that be possible? With 1/3rd the power compared to its big brother, the price difference will have to be big to convince early adopters to even consider the lower option. The One X is currently on sale for 299, great deal, but might also undermine Lockhart pricing. PS4 pro is still 399.

Perhaps ps5 will start at 399 again, that would leave very little margins for Lockhart to look good.

It's hard to know because it doesn't seem like people care much about power as you would think. I'm genuinely not sure how MS's launch will go with having two different systems like this. Sony on the other hand I expect to do well no matter what. I think each company will have a hard time getting users to switch brands because of backwards compatibility. No one is going to want to leave all the games they've collected over this gen behind without a very good reason to do so.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
method114 said:

I don't think they'd go $599 either. I think $549 would be the max and anything more they would be willing to just take a loss on it.

DF did a piece on Lockhart maybe having a 4tf GPU while keeping everything else the same (except maybe 12GB ram instead of 16GG)
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-in-theory-does-a-4tf-next-gen-console-make-sense

How much would this save and will it be possible to convince consumers to go for this (appearing weaker than the xbox one x although it won't be)

Lockhart 399 4tf ?
PS5 499 13.xtf ?
Series X 549 12tf

Would that be possible? With 1/3rd the power compared to its big brother, the price difference will have to be big to convince early adopters to even consider the lower option. The One X is currently on sale for 299, great deal, but might also undermine Lockhart pricing. PS4 pro is still 399.

Perhaps ps5 will start at 399 again, that would leave very little margins for Lockhart to look good.

@bolded: there, fixed it for you

Mess up how? I expect them to put out something with slightly more teraflops and probably same price or slightly more expensive. How could they mess anything up too badly?

method114 said:

It's hard to know because it doesn't seem like people care much about power as you would think. I'm genuinely not sure how MS's launch will go with having two different systems like this. Sony on the other hand I expect to do well no matter what. I think each company will have a hard time getting users to switch brands because of backwards compatibility. No one is going to want to leave all the games they've collected over this gen behind without a very good reason to do so.

True, digital has made huge strides last gen. I would be leaving close to a hundred VR games behind. Even though I would probably never touch most of them again, some I'm very curious to see how they look with ps5 boost.

XBox One didn't fall behind on resolution, in practice the difference was minimal, especially to the average consumer. Kinect and lack of exciting new exclusives is more to blame. Price isn't even the biggest factor as in the US the XBox still kept decent pace with the ps4 at the start. PS3 did lack great games at the start, yet when Sony started pumping out more exciting new games the tides turned. Exclusives are still more important than people want to acknowledge. Word of mouth, can only play it on x system, then friends have x system and the ball keeps rolling.

MS has an uphill battle again, Sony is closing out the gen with big hitters while on the MS side its pretty quiet except for the most powerful place to play.

I think we will see a $399 ps5 that will be less powerful than the Series X. So people who care about having the most powerful console and bought a X1X over a ps4 pro, will likely pick up a Series X. However, in the end the masses will just go with the most affordable console that has the best exclusives. I see MS dropping the ball because they're too focused on cross-gen and putting all their eggs in the GP basket. Having the most powerful console is pretty pointless if they don't have any exclusives to showcase it.

Last edited by goopy20 - on 02 March 2020

Around the Network

More reputable sources have PS5 at 10.7+ and stronger than the XSX: 13.3 TF.
We've already got confirmation of RDNA2.

If Sony is able to release a more powerful console, with their brand power advantage, better 1st party track record and regional advantage then it's game over for Xbox on the hardware front.

Some people are getting real impatient about no news on PS5. Its okay people. Take a breath. Sony will release the info when they're ready.

It's only March, I see no reason to panic about Sony remaining silent.

My only problem with the lack of information is that we were expecting Playstation Experience to reveal on mid February and that got pushed to first half of March and so far nothing =[
I'm eager for news.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
My only problem with the lack of information is that we were expecting Playstation Experience to reveal on mid February and that got pushed to first half of March and so far nothing =[
I'm eager for news.

yea, I'm very excited to see what games Sony has slated for launch/launch window.