By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - How many movies do you see in theaters each year?

See thread title

I never go to the movie theater 18 23.68%

1-3 26 34.21%

4-6 11 14.47%

7-9 1 1.32%

10-12 6 7.89%

12+ 14 18.42%

Total:76

I used to go twice a year, but lately it is 0.

Around the Network

Varies wildly. Can be zero, can be 10, though MCU movies normally get watched in a movie theater, as they really look better there than on my TV

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 22 February 2020

I got to see a lot of movies in 2019, probably twice as many as usual.

Ad Astra

Alita: Battle Angel

Anna

Avengers: Endgame

Captain Marvel

Creed 2

Downton Abbey

Hellboy

Ip Man 4: The Finale

It: Chapter 2

John Wick: Parabellum

Knives Out

Little Women

Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood

Parasite

Rocketman

Spider-man: Far From Home

The Wandering Earth

Us

X-Men: Dark Phoenix

Yesterday

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Varies wildly. Can be zero, can be 10, though MCU movies normally get watched in a movie theater, as they really look better there than on my TV

The money you spend on tickets and fuel to drive there, you could save and invest in a nice projector, you can probably get a good second hand one for like 300 dollars.

That is, a nice projector would cost you the same as 25 tickets + fuel, so someone who goes twice a month would have paid for a projector in 1 year instead. Continue not going to the cinema a second year and you can invest in a good sound system.

That's what I did, and as a bonus, playing videogames on 100inch screen is amazing. The way you compare a movie on cinema to a movie on your tv, is the same difference with videogames, even more so, because size of screen increases immersion in the game.

Not only that, but unlike TVs, the projector wall doesn't reflect light sources for example from windows or doors, I hated that when I used TVs, sometimes I could even see myself reflected, even worse was the ps4 controller led light would reflect on my TV, doesn't happen with a projector. You don't even need a screen anymore, nowadays projectors are bright, mine is kept at lowest brightness mode and its great on my plain white wall.

Another bonus, a projector wont tire your eyes as much as a TV, because the image you see is reflected back to you, instead of TV which the image is shot directly into your eyes. I can play games for hours now on projector without ever getting sleepiness in my eyes.

SvennoJ said:
The last two movies I saw in the theater were Interstellar and The Lion King (with my kids). Hardly ever. I rather watch movies at home.

Your kids would have been happier with the original Lion king on TV, the recent one was maybe one of the worst movies, if not the worst, to come out these past 10 years.

Around the Network
derpysquirtle64 said:

It depends. I've used to watch around 10 movies per year earlier but It's just that I rarely find something that interests me nowadays. Last year was a bit better than 2018 I think. I watched:
- John Wick 3
- Once Upon a Time In Hollywood
- Promare

- Joker
- Star Wars 9 (kinda regret it, but considering that I watched all the previous films, I've decided to watch this one as well)

I also watched some 2019 films during the long flight I had for my business trip:

- Avengers: Endgame

- Spiderman: Far From Home

- Alita: Battle Angel

Only liked the last one out of these three

I still cant believe that someone actually paid to watch John wick 3 and once upon a time in Hollywood, I watched them for free and I feel robbed. Actually I only watched half the once upon a time in hollywood, it was so bad This is one of the reasons why I watch movies for free at home, BEFORE INVESTING money to buy the bluray, I need to know what I'm spending my money on. I saved thousands and thousands, I have nightmares of paying for something like those movies which are not even worth it for free.

Its tricky, because john wick 1 was brilliant, the second one was OK too. I also loved the first Iron man and batman trilogy, but other than that I hated all super hero movies since then. Batman V Superman was just OK, but as I grow older I seem to like less and less all these way over the top ridiculous fantasies.

With that said, I watch around 300 movies per year, and I buy around 20-30 Blurays per year. I have now around 600 in my collection. The money I'd spend on a ticket I buy a bluray, and increase my home cinema collection.

victor83fernandes said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

The money you spend on tickets and fuel to drive there, you could save and invest in a nice projector, you can probably get a good second hand one for like 300 dollars.

That is, a nice projector would cost you the same as 25 tickets + fuel, so someone who goes twice a month would have paid for a projector in 1 year instead. Continue not going to the cinema a second year and you can invest in a good sound system.

That's what I did, and as a bonus, playing videogames on 100inch screen is amazing. The way you compare a movie on cinema to a movie on your tv, is the same difference with videogames, even more so, because size of screen increases immersion in the game.

Not only that, but unlike TVs, the projector wall doesn't reflect light sources for example from windows or doors, I hated that when I used TVs, sometimes I could even see myself reflected, even worse was the ps4 controller led light would reflect on my TV, doesn't happen with a projector. You don't even need a screen anymore, nowadays projectors are bright, mine is kept at lowest brightness mode and its great on my plain white wall.

Another bonus, a projector wont tire your eyes as much as a TV, because the image you see is reflected back to you, instead of TV which the image is shot directly into your eyes. I can play games for hours now on projector without ever getting sleepiness in my eyes.

Problem is, living space is at a premium here in Luxembourg. So there's simply no space for a big screen, let alone for a projector. I already have problems to get something bigger than a 47 inch TV into my living room. My apartment is approximately 600 square feet large (56m2) with one bedroom yet cost about $375000 (340000€, and that's rather cheap here!), so there's not much possibility to get something larger inside

victor83fernandes said:
SvennoJ said:
The last two movies I saw in the theater were Interstellar and The Lion King (with my kids). Hardly ever. I rather watch movies at home.

Your kids would have been happier with the original Lion king on TV, the recent one was maybe one of the worst movies, if not the worst, to come out these past 10 years.

True, but they still like the 3D effect and the other choice was teen titans movie or something equally bad. I have the original on blu-ray, they've seen it. I saw the original in theaters when it came out, it was great.

When I was still living on my own I went about twice a week to the cinema, sometimes more often. I was living in Amsterdam at the time which has lots of great theaters. Now I have to drive over half an hour for a decent theater and had to drive over an hour to see Interstellar in 70mm.

Anyway comfy couch, no limit to snacks and drinks, no annoying 3D, pause and clean bathroom nearby, better sound, always a center seat, can drink or get high, why go to the cinema...

I don't go out to see movies anymore. I prefer to watch them at home on my TV, through Netflix mostly.

I love seeing movies in theaters, as long as the audience is respectful (which they almost always are). I have the AMC A-List, so I can see up to three movies a week in any format, and the theater I go to is less than a 5 minute drive. Looking at my app, I saw over 40 movies last year (36 through the membership, which I got in April, and I know I saw at least a few others before I got it). I have seen 8 movies so far this year, and looking ahead there looks to be about 40 more that I would be interested in seeing, so I will probably see more than 50 movies in theaters this year.