By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Record Temperatures

It's currently -18c here in Ontario, but it has been extremely mild before the sudden change last night. It went from +1 to -23 after a month of hovering around 0. It won't last, Sunday it will be above 0 again. The warmer average comes with wild swings in temperature and record snowfall in places, plus more flooding in spring. This was 2 years ago in the town 10 km from where I live.

A couple weeks of freezing then a quick melt and you get the 1 in a 100 years event which already happened twice now in a few years... This year there was no big ice jam yet a lot of snow then turning into rain and +10 degrees to cause the river to flood.

It seems a new record is set every few weeks... Newfoundland had to declare a state of emergency and the army was sent in to help dig them out less than a month ago after record snowfall for the area.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

It's currently -18c here in Ontario, but it has been extremely mild before the sudden change last night. It went from +1 to -23 after a month of hovering around 0. It won't last, Sunday it will be above 0 again. The warmer average comes with wild swings in temperature and record snowfall in places, plus more flooding in spring. This was 2 years ago in the town 10 km from where I live.

A couple weeks of freezing then a quick melt and you get the 1 in a 100 years event which already happened twice now in a few years... This year there was no big ice jam yet a lot of snow then turning into rain and +10 degrees to cause the river to flood.

It seems a new record is set every few weeks... Newfoundland had to declare a state of emergency and the army was sent in to help dig them out less than a month ago after record snowfall for the area.

14,000 years ago, all of Canada was under mountains of snow.
Whos to say, if we throw the balance of the world out of order, something like that doesnt happend again?

Water covers around 2/3rds of the earths surface.
Large amounts of Heat distribution around the world, are impacted by ocean currents.

If our climate change effects things like the ocean currents (even to small degrees), it could effect such things as how hot or cold certain area's are.
So while europe is getting "hotter" it might be because less heat, is being moved to area's such as canada, which would then get colder.

Which might be a good thing, instead of all the snow/ice of say greenland just melting and riseing sea levels.
Maybe some of it can "build up" in canada, that way we dont just all drown, due to sea level rises :p

JRPGfan said:

14,000 years ago, all of Canada was under mountains of snow.
Whos to say, if we throw the balance of the world out of order, something like that doesnt happend again?

Water covers around 2/3rds of the earths surface.
Large amounts of Heat distribution around the world, are impacted by ocean currents.

If our climate change effects things like the ocean currents (even to small degrees), it could effect such things as how hot or cold certain area's are.
So while europe is getting "hotter" it might be because less heat, is being moved to area's such as canada, which would then get colder.

Which might be a good thing, instead of all the snow/ice of say greenland just melting and riseing sea levels.
Maybe some of it can "build up" in canada, that way we dont just all drown, due to sea level rises :p

For that the snow needs to stay though. However the great lakes have been at record high water levels the last few years. More rain / snow, higher water levels, so yep we're doing our part to slow down sea levels rising :)

JRPGfan said:
Mummelmann said:
No records, but here in Stockholm we've basically had a five-month autumn.
I've had to wash my car thoroughly two times a month due to all the shit and grime on the roads.

How was it there? did you guys get any snow?
It feels like its been a few years since we last so any "real" snow.
This year I dont even recall 1 single day with snow.

I remember when I was a kid, there was enough snow outsides on a nearby field were I lived,
that I could take a shovel and dig tunnels and crawl around out there on the field.

In recent times,we just dont get those amounts of snow.

Jan-feb are usually the coldest months of the year, here.
Meanwhile we havnt even had sub-zero temps most nights.

While global temps have risen like 1,5 degree or whatever, apparently in scandinavia its effects are higher.
Here its like 3-4 degree's, which make a big differnce if your "just" around where its cold enough to freeze or not.

So no snow, lots of rain... very mild winter.

on the upside, you save money on heating.

Some snow-like dust that never settled has been seen, but it has been largely like autumn. Further north is a different story, they had snow records in one mountain region. Back home where my family lives, it's unstable, they get one foot of snow in a day, then heavy rains and several degrees on the red side. I spent about three weeks there over the holidays, there were all kinds of weather, but no real cold (-25 degrees celsius is not uncommon in January).

To me, it seems like regional differences within the countries (Norway and Sweden) have increased, more so than an actual average domestic overall change.

As for heating; it's free here in Stockholm since they use water-based heat! Woefully inefficient when the real cold sets in though.

I used to believe in global warming. It was clear that the temperature was rising all the way to early August. But then something happened and it has clearly been falling every single month since then, thus disproving science bitches. Sometimes science is a liar!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

I used to believe in global warming. It was clear that the temperature was rising all the way to early August. But then something happened and it has clearly been falling every single month since then, thus disproving science bitches. Sometimes science is a liar!

House Stark, one of the Great Houses of Westeros has this really fitting Motto.

JRPGfan said:
Jumpin said:

House Stark, one of the Great Houses of Westeros has this really fitting Motto.

Besides, the leftist media is more bonkers than a cowboy hip-ya-doodlin a sheep on Friday with a bottle of moonshine! They on the left all support gender change, but climate change is out of the question? Hypocrisy!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

NASA 1999 vs 2019. Cooling past temperatures (in particular the 1930s) to create a "warming trend"

The 1999 graph in detail: 1930s were much warmer then the year 2000 and we can see the "New Ice Age" decline from ca. 1940 to 1980. The modern hockey stick figures just add a linear trend to the data to create near continuous warming.

https://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/briefs/hansen_07/

The unaltered data. We have a recovery from the "New Ice Age" but are still way below the extremes of the 1930s.

Last edited by numberwang - on 14 February 2020

Jumpin said:

I bet people in the Southern Hemisphere would disagree.

@numberwang 

busted

https://tamino.wordpress.com/2018/08/08/usa-temperature-can-i-sucker-you/

this site shows all the number massaging they had to do to get the graph looking like that.

ha ha ha how embarrassing, If that’s the best they can do then I guess this global warming must be true