By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo 64 Lost to PlayStation Because Japanese Gamers Prefer “Depressing Games”

Darashiva said:
Azzanation said:

People also buy more Volkswagons than Bentleys.. not because there better cars..

What was your point again?

PS1 was sold on the market for twice aslong so dont forget that part.

In the same time space it wouldnt be 5 times the sales. And just look up the best criticality acclaimed games, majority are on the N64 which stands my point.

That isn't exactly true. The N64 has 17 games with a metacritic score of 90 or higher, while the PS1 has 28. You can make the argument that the best N64 games were better than the best PS1 games, although I would personally disagree with that, but you can't say that the N64 had more critically acclaimed games compared to the PS1. Also, as far as being on the market for longer, the PS1 was outselling the N64 by early late 1997, and passed it by in sales soon after, so it wouldn't have really mattered if the N64 had remained on the market for longer. It simply wasn't selling as much as the PS1 at any point after its first year on the market.

I am talking about the best were on N64 and it turns out I am not the only one to think so either. Having a 90s meta score doesn't tell us much about a game however being critically acclaimed and winning awards were common on the N64.  

Keep in mind the PS1's also had a major piracy issue which also would have hurt many developers and was a major selling point for the system as well. N64 was not or very little losing money on piracy, cannot say the same for the PS1. So being on the market for twice as long with an added benefit of pirating your games for free and being cheaper overall are not examples I would say a system is more successful. PS1 numbers are not as incident as they look. Besides the N64 was a solid successful console, there is no loser when being successful business wise. 

Its why I brought up the Volkwagon and Bentley comparison. Selling more does not mean something is better.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 06 February 2020

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Darashiva said:

That isn't exactly true. The N64 has 17 games with a metacritic score of 90 or higher, while the PS1 has 28. You can make the argument that the best N64 games were better than the best PS1 games, although I would personally disagree with that, but you can't say that the N64 had more critically acclaimed games compared to the PS1. Also, as far as being on the market for longer, the PS1 was outselling the N64 by early late 1997, and passed it by in sales soon after, so it wouldn't have really mattered if the N64 had remained on the market for longer. It simply wasn't selling as much as the PS1 at any point after its first year on the market.

I am talking about the best were on N64 and it turns out I am not the only one to think so either. Having a 90s meta score doesn't tell us much about a game however being critically acclaimed and winning awards were common on the N64.  

Keep in mind the PS1's also had a major piracy issue which also would have hurt many developers and was a major selling point for the system as well. N64 was not or very little losing money on piracy, cannot say the same for the PS1. So being on the market for twice as long with an added benefit of pirating your games for free and being cheaper overall are not examples I would say a system is more successful. PS1 numbers are not as incident as they look. Besides the N64 was a solid successful console, there is no loser when being successful business wise. 

Its why I brought up the Volkwagon and Bentley comparison. Selling more does not mean something is better.

Uh, what? You literally wrote that the majority of critically acclaimed games were on the N64, which I pointed out wasn't true. Having a metascore in the 90s tells us exactly that about a game, that it is critically acclaimed, a point you brought up. I also never said that the N64 wasn't successful, but there's no question that the PS1 was the more successful console by a wide margin. It sold three times the number of units compared to the N64, and overall there were around 962 million games sold on it to the N64's 224 million, so even with it being on the market for twice as long, as you pointed out, the PS1 was consistently outselling the N64 on both consoles and games.

And you're right, selling more does not necessarily mean something is better as a result. That is a matter of opinion. For me the PS1 had the overall better games, but I've always enjoyed both systems.

Azzanation said:
Darashiva said:

Your Volkswagen and Bentley comparison is flawed ,Bentley was never in competition with Volkswagen and I'm sure that many Volkswagen buyers would say that for them it was a better car based on,sale price fuel,repair and insurance costs and many other factors, now why things like the best are subjective the volkswagen owners at least can demonstrate reasoning better than PS1 was a pirate haven and scores from critics don't tell us much about a game.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Darashiva said:

Uh, what? You literally wrote that the majority of critically acclaimed games were on the N64, which I pointed out wasn't true. Having a metascore in the 90s tells us exactly that about a game, that it is critically acclaimed, a point you brought up. I also never said that the N64 wasn't successful, but there's no question that the PS1 was the more successful console by a wide margin. It sold three times the number of units compared to the N64, and overall there were around 962 million games sold on it to the N64's 224 million, so even with it being on the market for twice as long, as you pointed out, the PS1 was consistently outselling the N64 on both consoles and games.

And you're right, selling more does not necessarily mean something is better as a result. That is a matter of opinion. For me the PS1 had the overall better games, but I've always enjoyed both systems.

Being on the market for at least double the time should sell by default twice as much units. Being a cheaper console world wide also means you are intended to sell more by default. Quality has nothing to do with it. 

You are entitled to your game preference however many games that are considered some of the best games ever created came from the N64 and are still looked up to today. N64 was a success, it never lost, it did what it needed to do. Many games hit the 90s, doesn't mean there award winning, or genre defining etc.

mjk45 said:

Your Volkswagen and Bentley comparison is flawed ,Bentley was never in competition with Volkswagen and I'm sure that many Volkswagen buyers would say that for them it was a better car based on,sale price fuel,repair and insurance costs and many other factors, now why things like the best are subjective the volkswagen owners at least can demonstrate reasoning better than PS1 was a pirate haven and scores from critics don't tell us much about a game.

It makes perfect sense. A cheaper car should outsell a more expensive car. A cheaper console should outsell a more expensive console.

Being on the market for 12 years should by default outsell a product that's on the market for 6 years. 

Bentley makes cars, Volkwagon makes cars.

Nintendo make game consoles, Sony make game consoles.

I just use Bentley as an example, I can use another brand, the concept remains the same.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 06 February 2020

Azzanation said:
Darashiva said:

Being on the market for at least double the time should sell by default twice as much units. Being a cheaper console world wide also means you are intended to sell more by default. Quality has nothing to do with it. 

You are entitled to your game preference however many games that are considered some of the best games ever created came from the N64 and are still looked up to today. N64 was a success, it never lost, it did what it needed to do. Many games hit the 90s, doesn't mean there award winning, or genre defining etc.

And it sold three times as many units, so what's your point? That the N64 underperformed? Many of the best games ever created came from the PS1 as well, which are still looked up to today, so that's no different from the N64. Again, I never said the N64 wasn't a success, but arguing that it didn't lose against the PS1 is kinda pointless when the numbers tell the opposite story. It lost to the PS1 on every metric, from sold consoles, to number of sold games, to number of critically acclaimed games. That doesn't mean it's not a great console, but you're arguing against obvious facts here.

Nintendo lost the home console war that generation, just as it won the previous two with the NES and SNES. Or if the N64 didn't lose are you saying that the Sega Genesis, the original Xbox, or the PS3 didn't lose their respective generations either because they did what they needed to do as well?

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
I imagine what he considered 'depressing' differs greatly from what most consumers consider depressing. That, or he has no idea what he's talking about, I can't imagine him not having any idea, so it's probably his idea of depressing that differs.

Probably, he was implying that Japanese RPG fans who migrated to PS1 en masse were a bunch of hikikomori.

Nintendo's PR was notoriously salty during 5th gen. Nintendo of America wasn't much better, they were just quieter about it. I remember them trying to pass off games like MACE or Fighter's Destiny as being just as good as Virtua Fighter, Tekken, and Soul Blade.

But that was nothing compared to their salt over Final Fantasy VII, which pushed the PS1 into the lead in the US as it had in Japan (up until then the N64 was actually catching up in install base in the US). Quest 64, a thoroughly mediocre, bare-bones game in every way, was proudly touted as, "hey, we've got RPGs too!" Mother 3/Earthbound 64 was the great RPG hope of the N64, until it went deep into development hell and never escaped from it. They took a few swipes at FFVII itself as well in Nintendo Power, though they didn't have quite the same audience reach as the big boss in Japan did.

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 06 February 2020

US Saturn owners were pretty lonely and depressed. :(

Us American Saturn owners were the bee girl until we found one another.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Darashiva said:

And it sold three times as many units, so what's your point? That the N64 underperformed? Many of the best games ever created came from the PS1 as well, which are still looked up to today, so that's no different from the N64. Again, I never said the N64 wasn't a success, but arguing that it didn't lose against the PS1 is kinda pointless when the numbers tell the opposite story. It lost to the PS1 on every metric, from sold consoles, to number of sold games, to number of critically acclaimed games. That doesn't mean it's not a great console, but you're arguing against obvious facts here.

Nintendo lost the home console war that generation, just as it won the previous two with the NES and SNES. Or if the N64 didn't lose are you saying that the Sega Genesis, the original Xbox, or the PS3 didn't lose their respective generations either because they did what they needed to do as well?

Ill never understand this metric you people use to justify a products success with what wins and losers. This is a business not a sport, there is nothing set in place for coming last in this so called sales race, in fact the sales race doesn't even exist. First to 100m, who sells more at the end of the generation etc, its all made up.

Sorry to bust your bubble here, companies make products with estimate sales goals etc not based on there competitors. If its that important about beating the other in sales than these consoles wouldn't stop being manufactured and will continue to sell way beyond there life spans just to win or to hit that 100m mark or whatever metric you use to justify winners and losers.

The Sega Genesis was a success, it definitely was no loser, it just didn't sell as good as the SNES. The N64 fits that same bill. It didn't outsell the PS1 but it was still a successful console and is not a loser. Consoles don't need to win a imaginary race to be justified as not losing. Honestly when I was 10 I use to say these things about Nintendo beating Sega.. today I look back and see the industry for what it is and not what we think its about. 

There is no gold trophy at the end of these races, there isn't even a finish line, hence some consoles stay on the market longer than others etc. They are products with sales expectations and targets, like anything else in the world. Look at Car brands, Lets say BMW sold less cars than Mercedes in the past 5 years, does that make them losers? No.

The terminology of these winners and losers need to change. 

Last edited by Azzanation - on 07 February 2020

I want to say yes, he's right, but I haven't played most of the acclaimed RPGs of the 90s. At the very least, I'll give him that one of the bigger successes of the decade, Final Fantasy VII, has an emo template written all over it. The other Final Fantasy entries also have passages that deal with depression, especially IX... And Xenogears is just pure sadness.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Good 'ol Yamauchi. He was always something of a cold and blunt, give no shits type of dude who loved to bust out controversial statements. He was like the Trump of the games industry haha.

I wouldn't quite call them "depressing" as much as dark. And there's nothing wrong with that. Dark is rad. I'm a big metal fan after all ha. 

Also that comes across as an excuse.

N64 lost because of:
- Carts vs the more versatile and flashy CDs
- Lack of software
- Weird controller
- Strict adherence to full 3D games rather than the more diverse PS lineup.

I was never a Sony fan and obviously prefered the N64 but even I can see its immense flaws and weaknesses compared to the PlayStation.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden