By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo 64 Lost to PlayStation Because Japanese Gamers Prefer “Depressing Games”

Azzanation said:

Being on the market for at least double the time should sell by default twice as much units. Being a cheaper console world wide also means you are intended to sell more by default. Quality has nothing to do with it.

I'm aware that you really dislike PlayStation for some reason but even still you gotta take a step back once in awhile and question your logic.

Why do you think PS1 had a longer life? Do you think N64's life would've been cut short if it sold as well as PS1 worldwide through its first 5 years?

Around the Network
BraLoD said:

Are you seriously asking if the N64 lost for the PS1?

Then you proceed to give the PS1 successful life cycle as an excuse because the 64 died a lot faster? lol

Never change.

Is this some kind of play school where we have to have a winner and loser? what if Nintendo's N64 sales target was 20m consoles sold? Do you know what there target was? Does something have to lose? How does two successful products win and lose?

Not sure how long you been around gaming however ill help you out and say Nintendo are well known for mid life spans. They move on quicker to there next platform compared to Sony who likes to keep platforms on the market for 10+ years. Thats by company choice, it can depend when they decide to shift focus for there next product.

N64 was far from a flop which means it'ssuccessful, its just Sony opened up the doors for more gamers and sold incredibly well. No one knew, probably not even Nintendo or Sony knew how big the audience was back than.

Gamecube to PS2 is a different story, Gamecube failed to meet expectations so thats where i will agree on.

Replicant said:

I'm aware that you really dislike PlayStation for some reason but even still you gotta take a step back once in awhile and question your logic.

Why do you think PS1 had a longer life? Do you think N64's life would've been cut short if it sold as well as PS1 worldwide through its first 5 years?

As mentioned above, Nintendo tends to aim to cut there consoles short or aim for a 5 year life span. Has nothing to do weather i like a brand or not. 

Someone mention before that the Sega Genesis lost.. im far from a Sega fan but comments like that make me facepalm. It's a buisness about profits and money not a 1st place and last place sport tournament.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 07 February 2020

BraLoD said:
Azzanation said:

N64 lost to the PS1? Guess you must mean sales. N64 was on the market for 6 years, PS1 was sold for 12 years.
N64 had the better games overall PS1 had more games but not better.
I own and still do both machines and i enjoyed both systems alot but the N64 was miles ahead when it came to quality.

Are you seriously asking if the N64 lost for the PS1?

Then you proceed to give the PS1 successful life cycle as an excuse because the 64 died a lot faster? lol

Never change.

Well we can say that Azz is :

Denial

Salty

Over 9000 !

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes, people bought 5x more PS1 than N64 because N64 was the best system and they thought it had the better games.

Gamers really are masochists.

People also buy more Volkswagons than Bentleys.. not because there better cars..

What was your point again?

PS1 was sold on the market for twice aslong so dont forget that part.

In the same time space it wouldnt be 5 times the sales. And just look up the best criticality acclaimed games, majority are on the N64 which stands my point.

That's Nintendo's mistake to release it like a year late and let it die before the PS1 died.

Nintendo loved to brag that the N64 sold out of it's 500K shipment in NA in one day while it took PS1 90 days to reach 500k sales in NA. It was a fact but consumers don't care.

critically acclaimed doesn't mean much for consumers.

Azzanation said:

N64 lost to the PS1? Guess you must mean sales. N64 was on the market for 6 years, PS1 was sold for 12 years.
N64 had the better games overall PS1 had more games but not better.
I own and still do both machines and i enjoyed both systems alot but the N64 was miles ahead when it came to quality.

PS1 had shipped 73m units by March 31st 2000, 5 years and 4 months after it's launch in Japan. 6 years till discontinued vs 12 years till discontinued is irrelevant at that point. The PS1 also shipped 630m software by March 31st 2000, compared to N64's lifetime software shipments of 225m.

PS1 N64
Lifetime Sales 102.49m 32.93m
Aligned Sales >73m 32.93m
Games over 90 Meta 28 16
Software Sales 962m 225m
Aligned Software Sales >630m 225m
Total Number of Games 3066 388

Better lifetime sales, over double sales in the same time frame, more critically acclaimed games, over quadruple the software sales and a vastly higher number of games released. Preferring the N64 is fine, claiming the N64 didn't lose is a joke.

Last edited by Barkley - on 07 February 2020

Around the Network
Barkley said:
PS1 N64
Games over 90 Meta 28 16
Software Sales >962m 225m

Better lifetime sales, over double sales in the same time frame, more critically acclaimed games, over quadruple the software sales and a vastly higher number of games released. Preferring the N64 is fine, claiming the N64 didn't lose is a joke.

PS1 : 102.49M

N64 : 32.93M

I think the debate is close.

Barkley said: 

PS1 had shipped 73m units by March 31st 2000, 5 years and 4 months after it's launch in Japan. 6 years till discontinued vs 12 years till discontinued is irrelevant at that point. The PS1 also shipped 630m software by March 31st 2000, compared to N64's lifetime software shipments of 225m.

PS1 N64
Games over 90 Meta 28 16
Software Sales >962m 225m

Not doubting the PS1's success, that seems to be an issue with many on here. The view is the N64 was still very successful for Nintendo. But I guess people need to say something is a loser because.. well console industry, guess its why gaming is for kids. Moral of the story is, lets compare two successful consoles and just say one is a loser and one is a winner. The beetle is the best selling car in the world, every car aside from the Beetle is a loser. < Gaming Industry in a nutshell.

As for the software, N64 was clearly quality over quantity here. I cant think of any PS1 game scoring over a 97 meta yet I can think of a couple N64 titles doing so off the top of my head. If you know any PS1 title achieving a 97 ill be happy for you to tell me.

Never see so much denial in one humain being lol.

Azzanation said:
Barkley said:

Not doubting the PS1's success, that seems to be an issue with many on here. The view is the N64 was still very successful for Nintendo. 

As for the software, N64 was clearly quality over quantity here. I cant think of any PS1 game scoring over a 97 meta yet I can think of a couple N64 titles doing so off the top of my head. If you know any PS1 title achieving a 97 and up happy for you to tell me.

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 got 98 on PS1.

Regardless "Quality over Quantity" is only the case if the score is arbitrarily set at one of the few specific points where N64 comes out ontop.

MetaScore N64 PS1
100 0 0
99+ 1 0
98+ 1 1
97+ 2 1
96+ 3 2
95+ 4 2
94+ 5 6
93+ 6 10
92+ 9 15
91+ 11 21
90+ 16 28

If you decide that 99,97,96 or 95 should be the metric used then N64 wins, if you use 98 or 100 it's a draw, if you choose any of the other 95 values PS1 wins.

Barkley said:

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 got 98 on PS1.

Regardless "Quality over Quantity" is only the case if the score is arbitrarily set at one of the few specific points where N64 comes out ontop.

MetaScore N64 PS1
100 0 0
99+ 1 0
98+ 1 1
97+ 2 1
96+ 3 2
95+ 4 2
94+ 5 6
93+ 6 10
92+ 9 15
91+ 11 21
90+ 16 28

If you decide that 99,97,96 or 95 should be the metric used then N64 wins, if you use 98 or 100 it's a draw, if you choose any of the other 95 values PS1 wins.

That's right and by that chart, N64 is a clear winner in the 95+ meta range. Hence my point before, quality over quantity. Sony has more but Nintendo has the highest. 11 N64 games scored above a 95+ while only 6 on the PS1 scored 95+ and above.

Normally if we are talking about the best games ever made in that gen than we have to go by the highest output. Either way we look at that graph for a console to only be on the market for 6 years, it had the better overall highest game score output to a system that's been on the market for 12 and couldn't overtake it. 

And thanks, I had no idea Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 was rated so high.