By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo 64 Lost to PlayStation Because Japanese Gamers Prefer “Depressing Games”

Wyrdness said:
Actually he never said anything about PS1's success at all this quote has been twisted he was asked about the rise of JRPGs and fans of the genre and his response was as follows.

"[People who play RPGs are] depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games,"

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2006/03/14/top-10-tuesday-wildest-statements-made-by-industry-veterans

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Hiroshi_Yamauchi

PS1 was never mentioned at all in the quote.

Yep, you're right.

This comment is about RPG's, specifically aimed at square, not the PS1. The old Gamers’ Republic magazine article that's spawned these recent articles is just wrong.

"[People who play RPGs are] depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games," he noted in a 1999 interview. Yamauchi - who incidentally has prided himself on the fact that he has never played a videogame - went on to call RPGs as a whole both "silly and boring.""

What a guy.

Around the Network

If that were true then why didn't Nintendo simply make depressing games? Go with what the market wants, seems pretty straightforward to me

I mean, in Japan...he's not necessarily wrong but I do think he was super salty. PS1 beat the ever loving crap out of the 64 in Japan because it had JRPGS. You know, what your predecessor the SNES was known for?

I guess that explains Majora's Mask. A last ditch effort to attract those depressed Playstation gamers...

This piece of information from the late Yamauchi ... is totally old, like 2 decades old. Yamauchi along with Ken Kutaragi say said some hilariously arrogant shit throughout their careers.

Around the Network

Lol I see, so it’s not that the dated cartridge format alienated 3rd party developers and thus brought their high profile games to PS1 only.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Why is this a story now?

Signature goes here!

In other recent and relevant and non-bait news, a Sony boss said this regarding the 3DS:
"No self-respecting twenty-something is going to be sitting on an airplane with one of those," he raged. "He's too old for that."

Time to make a thread on that!

..like others said why is this a story. And I'm pretty sure he was talking about Rpgs not the ps1.

Off-topic; It’s sad that both Yamauchi and Iwata passed away during the WiiU era when things were dire. Their last view of Nintendo was a company with failing hardware, losses in revenue and profit and mediocre reception of games.