Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony saving the best for last again?

Most likely best game on ps4

God Of War 15 24.19%
 
Spider Man 3 4.84%
 
Horizon Zero Dawn 6 9.68%
 
Sekiro 0 0.00%
 
Bloodbourne 3 4.84%
 
The last of Us Part 2 21 33.87%
 
Ghost Of Tsushima 2 3.23%
 
Cyberpunk 2077 1 1.61%
 
Red Dead Redemption 2 2 3.23%
 
FFVII Remake 9 14.52%
 
Total:62

All of the above.



Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
DonFerrari said:
The best game is God of War without a doubt, although my preferred (had most fun) was Spider Man and my most antecipated at the moment is Ghost of Tsushijima.

I get the strange feeling that GoT just may blow people away. Not sure if it's going to end up the best game of the gen, but I do get the feeling people aren't going to see it coming like HZD. While PS has been quiet in general, they almost seem to be ignoring GoT in comparison to the others this year, and I don't think it's because it's likely to crash and burn. PS seems to push the marketing division much harder when they don't think the game is going to sell as well on it's own merits.

Game does look pretty good. But I dont think its that people are dismissing it, its that most think of Naughty Dog as sony's golden child. Something tells me top guys at sony probably believe that as well and may even throw more marketing behind it. Also with TLOU2, FFVII R and GoT, sony has 3 big games coming this year and maybe gamers and executives are planing of putting competition against Cyberpunk wich seems to be the only other game that might get high praises this last year. Like th fans are choosing a representative. 

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 03 February 2020

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Horizon, then God Of War, are my favorites from Sony this gen.



sales2099 said:
It’s a weird strategy releasing their gems at the end of the gen. Like GOW 2 on PS2 after PS3 released or GT 6 on PS3 during the PS4 launch. Even launching in May is a weird month for what is imo their best game of the gen, because Naughty Dog is the jewel in the Sony developer crown.

I would have made it a November launch, followed with a PS5 version next spring to keep momentum going.

Considering Sony 1st party are all breaking records with some crossing 10+ and 15+ Million sales and keep a steady release of great games during the year by not competing for dates with big 3rd party games.

And they releasing great games at the end of the gen have more likely generated great goodwill and sales than lose sales. The only game that could be argued to have lost sales due to late release would be GT6. But God of War on PS2 sold great and got a remaster on PS3 that also sold good and prompted GoW3 on PS3 that sold well and made a remaster for PS4 that also sold good. TLOU broke the record when the 2 releases are sum.

EricHiggin said:
DonFerrari said:
The best game is God of War without a doubt, although my preferred (had most fun) was Spider Man and my most antecipated at the moment is Ghost of Tsushijima.

I get the strange feeling that GoT just may blow people away. Not sure if it's going to end up the best game of the gen, but I do get the feeling people aren't going to see it coming like HZD. While PS has been quiet in general, they almost seem to be ignoring GoT in comparison to the others this year, and I don't think it's because it's likely to crash and burn. PS seems to push the marketing division much harder when they don't think the game is going to sell as well on it's own merits.

Sucker Punch have made one of the best looking PS4 game and that was at release. The particles effect, the lightnining and even models on Second Son are just gorgeous, I even liked the story and gameplay as well.

Put that at a setting I love that is feudal Japan with Samurais and they have everything to make me very happy.

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 03 February 2020

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Death stranding , the most unique game, (real life). Also shadow of colossus remake (platinum, hard mode and timed,)  is an amazing achievement, propably even more epic than when it first launched on ps2. Both these games are 2 of the most immersives games i've played, along side the original demon's souls. Also days gone should be on there. It's probably the most under rated game. It launched with alof of bugs and glitches, and got hammered by critics, but i jsut played it recently ,  post patch, and the game is amazing in it's own ways. It is the love child of uncharted and the last of us. Borrowed and improved upon game mechanics, influenced sound effects and music, and probably the most satisying zombie shooter adventure survival open world out there. Also dragon quest needs to be on the list, one of the best games ever made. 

Last edited by KratosLives - on 31 January 2020

Around the Network
KratosLives said:

Death stranding , the most unique game, (real life). Also shadow of colossus remake (platinum, hard mode and timed,)  is an amazing achievement, propably even more epic than when it first launched on ps2. Both these games are 2 of the most immersives games i've played, along side the original demon's souls. Also days gone should be on there. It's probably the most under rated game. It launched with alof of bugs and glitches, and got hammered by critics, but i jsut played it recently ,  post patch, and the game is amazing in it's own ways. It is the love child of uncharted and the last of us. Borrowed and improved upon game mechanics, influenced sound effects and music, and probably the most satisying zombie shooter adventure survival open world out there. Also dragon quest needs to be on the list, one of the best games ever made. 

There have been a lot great ones, Sadly I cannot put more than 10 on the list. Thinking of changing up the list and keeping the top 3 after a while. 



It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

KratosLives said:

Death stranding , the most unique game, (real life). Also shadow of colossus remake (platinum, hard mode and timed,)  is an amazing achievement, propably even more epic than when it first launched on ps2. Both these games are 2 of the most immersives games i've played, along side the original demon's souls. Also days gone should be on there. It's probably the most under rated game. It launched with alof of bugs and glitches, and got hammered by critics, but i jsut played it recently ,  post patch, and the game is amazing in it's own ways. It is the love child of uncharted and the last of us. Borrowed and improved upon game mechanics, influenced sound effects and music, and probably the most satisying zombie shooter adventure survival open world out there. Also dragon quest needs to be on the list, one of the best games ever made. 

Death Stranding I liked it although many hated and Days Gone I really liked and didn't had bugs or glitches.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Or the best for first depending on your perspective. Everyone and their mothers will want to replicate that GTA5/TLoU etc cross gen extravaganza and bend all they've got for it. Even with cross gen I can see them putting massive ammounts of money and work into remasters cause having the two or three (or four with PC) didn't stop qnyone from just outright throwing money at games they already owned, even multiple times or skipped on in the 7th gen when things got all packed up. It's basically like releasing the game all over again for many studios from mid tier to big studios to indie. I think it will be even more productive this gen because of BC but because so many will be throwing their stuff out there there is going to be a lot of winners and losers and the likely winners will be those who have already won in the 8th gen. I wonder how swith will effect the overall cross gen, re-release thing though and how groubd up remakes are going to factor into what we are playing 9th gen. There's gotta be a lot in pre production already adter RE 2 and the early Sony Activision owned games.



 

China Numba wan!!

eva01beserk said:
EricHiggin said:

I get the strange feeling that GoT just may blow people away. Not sure if it's going to end up the best game of the gen, but I do get the feeling people aren't going to see it coming like HZD. While PS has been quiet in general, they almost seem to be ignoring GoT in comparison to the others this year, and I don't think it's because it's likely to crash and burn. PS seems to push the marketing division much harder when they don't think the game is going to sell as well on it's own merits.

Game does look pretty good. But I dont think its that people are dismissing it, its that most think of Naughty Dog as sony's golden child. Something tells me top guys at sony probably believe that as well and may even throw more marketing behind it. Also with TLOU2, FFVII R and GoT, sony has 3 big games coming this year and maybe gamers and executives are planing of putting competition against Cyberpunk wich seems to be the only other game that might get high praises this last year. Like th fans are choosing a representative. 

I don't think it's being dismissed either. I think it's more like the HZD effect. Nobody really knows what's coming exactly, and it's hard to tell how good it could be based on what we've seen. Visually it looks amazing, but that's only a portion of what makes a game worthy or worth praise. TLOU2 also has sky high expectations because of the first game, where as GoT is a whole new ball game. I also believe that SNY knows that gamers love a big surprise every now and then, and games like HZD blow up because of this. When a game isn't marketed all that much, and ends up a blockbuster hit, people can't believe it and the game tends to get mega massive praise after the fact. Which SNY also wants, especially with new IP.

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:
It’s a weird strategy releasing their gems at the end of the gen. Like GOW 2 on PS2 after PS3 released or GT 6 on PS3 during the PS4 launch. Even launching in May is a weird month for what is imo their best game of the gen, because Naughty Dog is the jewel in the Sony developer crown.

I would have made it a November launch, followed with a PS5 version next spring to keep momentum going.

Considering Sony 1st party are all breaking records with some crossing 10+ and 15+ Million sales and keep a steady release of great games during the year by not competing for dates with big 3rd party games.

And they releasing great games at the end of the gen have more likely generated great goodwill and sales than lose sales. The only game that could be argued to have lost sales due to late release would be GT6. But God of War on PS2 sold great and got a remaster on PS3 that also sold good and prompted GoW3 on PS3 that sold well and made a remaster for PS4 that also sold good. TLOU broke the record when the 2 releases are sum.

EricHiggin said:

I get the strange feeling that GoT just may blow people away. Not sure if it's going to end up the best game of the gen, but I do get the feeling people aren't going to see it coming like HZD. While PS has been quiet in general, they almost seem to be ignoring GoT in comparison to the others this year, and I don't think it's because it's likely to crash and burn. PS seems to push the marketing division much harder when they don't think the game is going to sell as well on it's own merits.

Sucker Punch have made one of the best looking PS4 game and that was at release. The particles effect, the lightnining and even models on Second Son are just gorgeous, I even liked the story and gameplay as well.

Put that at a setting I love that is feudal Japan with Samurais and they have everything to make me very happy.

Ending the gen with knockout punches just helps to strengthen next gen sales for PS, as long as there are a few new titles on the way for the new hardware. After that, people will turn a blind eye a little bit, if first party games dry up somewhat. Too much drought and then they have a bigger problem though, if that ever comes to pass, but PS seems to be pretty good at laying out a solid game plan for steady enough output.

Second Son was nice to look at no doubt and was a decent title for the initial year launch period. Having the rest of the gen to focus on GoT for PS4 could certainly lead to some amazing results. I'm inclined to think that's more likely to be the case.



They always do.
The Legend of Dragoon, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last of Us.
Their best games always come very late in the gen.
God of War 4 is the best right now, but both TLoU2 and GoW might have a chance on topping it and keeping the tradition alive, lol.
(Well, 2018 is already late in PS4 life anyway xD)