By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony saving the best for last again?

Most likely best game on ps4

God Of War 15 24.19%

Spider Man 3 4.84%

Horizon Zero Dawn 6 9.68%

Sekiro 0 0%

Bloodbourne 3 4.84%

The last of Us Part 2 21 33.87%

Ghost Of Tsushima 2 3.23%

Cyberpunk 2077 1 1.61%

Red Dead Redemption 2 2 3.23%

FFVII Remake 9 14.52%

Total:62

So final year of the 8th gen is upon us. So that got me wondering, wich game is gona define the PS4. 

So not to long ago, the last of us was named the game of the decade by some. So that got me asking, if we are putting a lot of expectations on naughty dog again. I mean, there is no doubt the ps3 ended with a bang with the last of us and they can have the same finale with the ps4 with part 2. 

Naughty dog is considered by many as the #1 studio that is under sony and TLOU was in no small part a big reason for that. But this gen sony has brought forth quite a lot of games that can challenge naughty dog for that top spot. Games like Horizon Zero Dawn and the Last Guardian and Spider man really put some pressure, but I think most of us can agree that the current Top dog that holds the crown is Santa Monica's God of War. That game set the bar pretty high not just for sony studios but pretty much for all. Who would have thought that it could even beat in praises, reviews and game of the year against Rockstars Read Dead Redemption 2 wich was one of the most anticipated games of all time from one of the biggest developers of all. Its been often joked about that when it comes to quality sony's only real competitors are themselves. 

We can all assume that they always save the best for last But TLOU2 is not the only big contender coming out this year. Ghost Of Tsushima wich also looks incredible is set to be the last big sony game for the gen.  Not to mention That this year there is strong third party competition with Cyberpunk and We have FFVII Remake wich is another greatly anticipated game that will be exclusive to ps4 for a while. Lets not kid ourselves, Cyberpunk is most likely the biggest game of the year and biggest mass appeal from a beloved dev. I would not be surprised if the gen ended up defined by Cyberpunk, But just like in 2018 how God Of war just stole the show against all odds against Read Dead Redemption 2, If someone is up to the task of going head to head with CD project Read and Cyberpunk it is undoubtedly Naughty Dog with The last of Us part 2.

Let me know what you guys think.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

To me, Nier Automata and Persona 5 are better than all the games on that list.

I'd like to consider Cyberpunk but I feel like I don't have enough info on it yet.

Ending on a high seems to work in getting folks excited for the future.
Has not failed them yet. Its basically a guarantee on your PS investment.

Last edited by loy310 - on 29 January 2020

I expect this could be my favorite year over all with the combination of Dreams, TLOU2, Ghost, and whatever else Sony might surprise us with for the PS5's launch, but the PS4 game that will define the console looking back will probably be God of War, honestly. I don't think anyone expected it to be such a standout given Santa Monica's recent struggles but it showed everyone that it's still possible for a AAA production to deliver AAA quality without any of the BS business practices that have been normalized over the past couple generations; not even a shred of paid dlc, just a complete SP experience that can stand on its own with no strings attached. I hope it'll be a good influence and not the last time we'll see such a project.

FragileSurface said:
To me, Nier Automata and Persona 5 are better than all the games on that list.

I'd like to consider Cyberpunk but I feel like I don't have enough info on it yet.

I did love Nier. But to much of a niche though. If up to a vote it would not crack the top. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
loy310 said:

Ending on a high seems to work in getting folks excited for the future.
Has not failed them yet. Its basically a guarantee on your PS investment.

Considering also that this time backwards compatibility will be day one, we can enjoy them right away without the worry of a remaster coming soon after the next gen launch. Even better, after you get impressed by the game you then want to see it even more enhanced on the new console. Another reason to buy a new console. 

TallSilhouette said:

I expect this could be my favorite year over all with the combination of Dreams, TLOU2, Ghost, and whatever else Sony might surprise us with for the PS5's launch, but the PS4 game that will define the console looking back will probably be God of War, honestly. I don't think anyone expected it to be such a standout given Santa Monica's recent struggles but it showed everyone that it's still possible for a AAA production to deliver AAA quality without any of the BS business practices that have been normalized over the past couple generations; not even a shred of paid dlc, just a complete SP experience that can stand on its own with no strings attached. I hope it'll be a good influence and not the last time we'll see such a project.

You said it. But not all DLC are bad. Expansions like for Horizon zero Dawn added some pretty good content. Story, equipment, enhancements and new mechanics and environments. Reminded me of the witcher 3 expansions. They where really worth it. But yea, some publishers really like to squeeze every penny out of us. 

Sony does this every gen essentially. I remember picking up God of War 2 on the PS2 day one in 2007. That said, I will likely being playing most of these on the PS5.

Of the exclusive games that have come out I find Nier: Automata (missed in the poll) and Bloodborne to be the best by a significant margin - not to take away from Horizon, God of War or Uncharted 4 (also missed in the poll and more deserving than most), which are also fantastic. So for me at least, at this point the best came early. Whatever happens later when FFVII or TLOU2 hit the shelves is yet to be seen.

God of War is my favourite, and probably will remain it. I'm sure TLOU 2 will be great, but I doubt I'll like it as much as GoW or Horizon. Those two are probably my favourite games developed by Sony ever.