By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

SvennoJ said:
EricHiggin said:

It doesn't make sense?

A driver can cause a massive pile up, especially in winter... Now even if it's say, the vehicles fault, not the drivers, through a broken poorly engineered part that causes the incident. That vehicle may also get recalled because of the weak part, but nobody has to bring their vehicle in. They can just keep driving anyway, potentially killing more people. We do nothing and it's totally accepted. One of infinite things we just turn a blind eye to each and every day.

Oh, and I like how the covid to driving analogy made no sense, but covid 'anti-vax' to MAGA somehow does? I mean Trump always has been against vaccines, especially this one, and is constantly telling people he didn't get vaxed, and that they shouldn't either, so. Wait a minute, did somebody just try to own the Cons?

As for the 'anti-vax' business, while I'd like to say they're being irresponsible, either opposition would simply say, in their favor, "they're a private business and can operate however they wish." It's a double edged sword in todays all encompassing political world, unfortunately.

If a concerned citizen who doesn't want the jab, is basically forced to take it (like say for their (specialized) job), then dies shortly after anyway, for whatever reason, driving or not, well. Even worse, what if the person who kills the now vaxed, 'anti-vaxer', is a double dosed 'vax addict'?

Apples and oranges? Death is death. Or is dying in a car accident no big deal when dying from a virus is? Or is it just because car accidents are normalized, so all we have to do is wait for covid to be normalized then nobody has to care anymore like the flu?

Since more analogies seem unlikely to help, I'll end with this. Not many are truly thinking long term, though a few here actually are.

Just think about what'll happen if covid strains continue and happen to get much worse. Or maybe it's not virus related but some other 'mainstream' problem causing some deaths. As more and more guidelines, rules, lockdowns, etc, are pushed, more and more people will resist and push back because of the flip flopping and overreach this time around. Think of covid as a first impression, and a considerable amount of people are not impressed in the least, so they won't be 'coming back for another meal', or 'won't be accepting a second date', and how can you really blame them with how things have been handled?

You could compare a massive pile-up with a super spreader event. However all the drivers involved in the massive pile-up won't automatically go on to create secondary incidents. All those infected at a super spreader event will infect more people. That's the difference.

There are plenty rules for car safety, problem is people ignore them. Massive pile-ups happen because people drive irresponsibly, too fast, not adjusting to the weather conditions. True, in that sense it's the same as people ignoring social distancing, vaccination and lock downs. However speed limits and seat belt use are enforced, if you cause an accident you get fined and or thrown in jail if you were speeding, driving dangerously, tailgating or driving under the influence. Even when you only hurt yourself you risk losing your license and your job. (Happened to a kid from a friend of ours. He lost control in bad weather, ended up flipped upside down in a ditch, police determined he was driving too fast for the weather conditions and was in deep shit)

However again, car accidents don't cause more car accidents. If anti vaxxers only troubled themselves without overloading the hospital system we wouldn't have any extra measures anymore for Covid either. All the measures are based on the current strain on healthcare. They always were. Hence all the flip flopping, conflicting messages, since politics need to sell you your safety, while all it is about is to keep society going.

It's the same with Flu. After a bad flu year putting more strain on the health care system, flu vaccines come back in the news next year, get your shot, do your part. After a low flu year, it goes into the background again.

So yes, car accidents, flu etc are all 'normalized' based on what we can handle. Covid will get there as well most likely, but for now it still poses too great a risk to our fragile healthcare system to 'let go'. And unfortunately it's not just anti vaxxers that can spread the disease. Monday numbers: 527 cases involved people who are either unvaccinated, partially vaccinated or their vaccination status is unknown. The remaining 167 infections involved people who are fully vaccinated. And the role of asymptomatic spreaders is pretty much unknown as well. There is no talk about that anymore while there was plenty in the beginning. Who knows how many spreaders there are under vaccinated people that don't show any symptoms thanks to the vaccines.

Anyway, it seems we're reaching the new normal. Many countries are now stabilizing their daily covid case counts. Flattening out the curve without going down or further up. We'll see how many measures are needed in Canada to reach 'stability'. Masks are likely to stay, more places will make vaccines mandatory, fines for sending kids to school sick etc. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/vaughn-parent-fined-covid-19-daycare-1.6142610

Btw Trump changed his stance, flip flop (why is he still doing rallies... during an ongoing pandemic...)
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-booed-alabama-rally-after-telling-supporters-get-vaccinated-n1277404

Time to move on I guess. The pandemic pretty much killed my wife's business and desire to continue with cultivating. She just took another $1200 loss. A shipment from the states was held back at the border (or rather inspection facility in Missisauga), sitting there for a month. When they finally inspected the shipment all the plants had gone moldy and were rejected, send back. She just got pictures of how the plants came back, unsalvageable. Out the shipping costs as well. The post office denies responsibility of course, can't do anything. Rare plants destroyed, can't get replacements for at least another 4 years (have to grow new ones first) Over a month of stress, calling after the various agencies involved over and over for nothing. The fallout continues.

Neither will all the people who contract covid. Having covid doesn't automatically mean you'll spread it to someone else and someone else getting it doesn't automatically mean they'll be harmed. If you want to get more specific like a 'super spreader' event, then, well, all drivers who are part of 'super crashes', cause some degree of harm to everyone else in the pile up, simply because they chose to drive. Like covid though, some will be impacted greatly, some to a minor degree, and some not at all.

A massive pile up can happen due to a faulty part. One that seemed just fine the day before at the garage, but unexpectedly failed the next day. All the rules and enforcement in the world aren't enough sometimes. Which isn't even necessary because as you said, we don't fully enforce many things when it comes to driving, and even the things we do try to, don't cut it. There are only so many mechanics and so many police officers, so much money, so much time, and so many f**ks for people to give unfortunately. Plenty of people tend to run out of them earlier than you'd expect/hope.

All it takes is one, maybe two cars to have an issue/accident and the entire highway get's shut down, sometimes for hours on end. That's a major backup that basically makes the trip and the highway useless, at least for a point in time, like the hospitals with too much covid. Everyone else has to just live with it. Should they though?

The news may bring up the flu shot the odd time in certain years, but to think that weighs heavily on most people's minds, if they even remember it the next day for that matter, seems overly optimistic. I'd say the flu is far back in the majorities minds at all times, other than while fighting it off themselves.

Plenty of people of all risks spreading the illness, yet we only hear about a few things like the horrible MAGA supporters spreading it... I wonder why some don't care and why more and more are caring less and less... Maybe politics shouldn't be brought into everything, as while it can be beneficial in some ways, it can also be greatly detrimental in others. At the very least, the politics have to stop flip flopping or things will just keep getting worse period.

I was being sarcastic bout MAGA. I've only ever seen DJT brag about how Op Warp Speed was all him and how he's saved everyone, including himself, with the vax, as the article states. Though he also inquired about alternatives as well. It was his opposition that suggested not getting the vax because it had the slightest of ties to DJT. Yet it's MAGA who's to blame for the spread, as the blame can't be, spread, among everyone involved, from a certain point of view anyway. If the current Admin can allow record numbers of immigrants entry during a worldwide pandemic, then no reason why DJT can't have rallies. Again, flip flopping on what's ok and what's not will just keep making things worse.

As I've mentioned in the past, the damage being done is the same amount if not worse than it would be otherwise overall. It's just people at the top are being allowed to decide who suffers how much and who doesn't. Death today is seen as the worst type, but things can and have been bad enough where people welcome death. The world is a crazy place.

Your situation is unfortunate and I can only hope things turn out reasonably well for you and your fam after all is said and done.

Around the Network

Remember to respect and pay daily homage to our institutions, they are filled with people of the highest character and integrity whose sole goal is to keep you healthy! Blind faith is a must and anything less means that you aren't properly following the science.

I had covid19, it was terrible, I got vaccinated. I don’t want to take any further measures to prevent the flu or the common cold or whatever illness that existed prior to COVID19. Give me the flu and common cold when I can fight it off, so I can fight off it off better when I inevitably get it again as an older human being.

The assumption that children are better off with masks and hand hygiene is unfathomable to me, especially that it’s much better for everyone to get COVID19 now (if they’re vaccinated or young) than to get it a year later (let alone years later!). Let’s face it, cases will rise eventually as more and more people becoming less cautious everyday, restrictions are further lifted, and the obvious fact that even if you vaccinate everyone, you’re not preventing transmission nonetheless. We barely managed to fend ourselves off with harsh lockdowns, we are not goin to do better (spread wise) when things open up, we will fair better in terms case-to-hospitalisations ratio though, so take that win and move on.

Obviously, if you can prevent it all together that would great, but chances of this happening are ZERO. We failed to contain it with 1.5 years of restrictions when everyone took measures as seriously as they could. Compare it to now and how the majority aren’t taking it seriously anymore, regardless of what you think about them, this is as good as it’s going to get. You want a healthier world, address problems like rising costs of owning a house, better dietary options that don’t cost a premium, less working days per week, cleaner air and improve sleep quality by doing all that I mentioned, not by chasing mirage (and stunting children’s immune system development in the process).

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 01 September 2021

useruserB said:

Remember to respect and pay daily homage to our institutions, they are filled with people of the highest character and integrity whose sole goal is to keep you healthy! Blind faith is a must and anything less means that you aren't properly following the science.

Meanwhile, Merck, the company that fucking makes Ivermectin says it's not effective for treating Covid nor was it meant to. 

And your misinformation campaign has hospitalized and killed WAY more people than the proven-to-work Pfizer vaccine: 

Hell, the stats speak for themselves: over 98% of Delta cases are UNvaccinated. This is not a hill you want to die on, oh wait, who'm I kidding? You literally are.

Last edited by KManX89 - on 01 September 2021

Ivermectin made the news here as well

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/health-canada-warns-against-using-anti-parasitic-drug-ivermectin-to-treat-covid-19-1.5568934

In light of reports of people using ivermectin, an anti-parasitic drug for livestock, to prevent or treat COVID-19, Health Canada issued an alert Tuesday night telling Canadians not to consume animal health products at any time due to the serious dangers they pose to humans.

The agency has advised not to use either the human or veterinary versions of the drug to treat COVID-19, as there's no evidence that it is safe or effective for such purposes.

The human version of ivermectin is authorized for sale in Canada only for the treatment of parasitic worm infections in people. The veterinary ivermectin is used for treating parasites in animals and contains higher concentrations of the drug.

At high doses, this version is dangerous for humans and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, low-blood pressure, allergic reactions, dizziness, seizures, comas and even death.

If you have purchased ivermectin as a COVID-19 treatment, Health Canada advises discarding it. If you have consumed the drug and have health concerns, you are also advised to consult a health-care professional and report any side-effects.

The U.S. Food and Drug Association pleaded with Americans on Aug. 21 not to take ivermectin as a treatment for COVID-19 in a tweet, saying: "You are not a horse. You are not a cow."

Scientists at least as far back as January have warned against its use.

Around the Network

And for those "just get Covid and get it over with"

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/covid-19-could-serve-as-a-trojan-horse-for-dementia-and-alzheimer-s-experts-say-1.5568918

Experts are warning that the COVID-19 pandemic could usher in a wave of increased dementia and Alzheimer’s worldwide through the ‘Trojan horse’ of neurological symptoms associated with long COVID, also known as long-haul COVID-19.

In a press release, ADI explained that even before COVID-19, it was predicted that dementia cases would rise from 55 million to 78 million by 2030, and associated health-care costs could rise to $3.5 trillion annually.

Now, experts believe millions more than that could face an accelerated risk of dementia due to COVID-19’s impact on the brain.

This debate about the possible very rare side effects of the vaccines vs the (ignored) long term effects of Covid-19 which continue to add up as more gets known makes no sense to me.

KManX89 said:

useruserB said:

Meanwhile, Merck, the company that fucking makes Ivermectin says it's not effective for treating Covid nor was it meant to. 

And your misinformation campaign has hospitalized and killed WAY more people than the proven-to-work Pfizer vaccine: 

Hell, the stats speak for themselves: over 98% of Delta cases are UNvaccinated. This is not a hill you want to die on, oh wait, who'm I kidding? You literally are.

cool

I swear I already posted all the evidence one would need, I guess some people are just too trusting of venal corporations/institutions/personalities, suffering from mental blocks and blinded by hate, politics and ideological rigidity to such an extent that it renders them unable to fathom the choices that others make and see/accept the truth. BTW, gimme delta, I need a natural booster, my superior naturally acquired immunity(for the first 8 months these assholes have been telling people jab > natty) from December is waning, needa top off for the next variant. I actually am quite thankful that I got it back in Dec, wouldn't be fun to deal with delta while still immunologically naive.

https://www.science.org/news/2021/08/having-sars-cov-2-once-confers-much-greater-immunity-vaccine-vaccination-remains-vital

And I don't recall ever saying that the vaxx offers 0 protection, pretty sure the data shows around a 16-80% protection against symptomatic disease depending on when jabbed and the gap between jabs and a 90%ish reduction in severe disease. I just don't wanna be a guinea pig and I am of the belief that it is probably wise for young/healthy people to avoid it, esp. considering that there are other options. Hell, who am I kidding, even if I was fat n' old, I'd avoid the jjab and work on losing weight and having things on hand to be fully-prepped for it. Several of my 70-year-old relatives fared just fine. In fact, one is in a nursing home that has constant outbreaks and 2 months ago was mistakenly placed in the same room as an infected patient for a couple days and never came down with symptomatic disease. She caught it once in April of 2020 over there and never had symptomatic disease since despite the numerous probable re-exposures.

Have you ever hear of drug repurposing? And how is it that you trust the deeply deceptive words of a mega-pharmaceutical company that has an incestuous revolving door relationship with government health agencies and has been drowning in a bottomless ocean of conflicts of interest since time immemorial?? Look at these giant whoppers they are putting out.

• No scientific basis for a potential therapeutic effect against COVID-19 from pre-clinical studies;
  • No meaningful evidence for clinical activity or clinical efficacy in patients with COVID-19 disease, and;
  • A concerning lack of safety data in the majority of studies.

This is some next level concern trolling. Oh yeah, it's been used over 3 billion times and has a better safety profile than aspirin yet they try to drum up fear about its safety... Could it be that the drug is smeared because it is off-patent and could be seen as an alternative to vaxxing? Once you tell a such a lie you gotta keep doubling down or your reputation, legitimacy, power and control could be at stake.

Look how safe this "very dangerous horse drug" is:

"Ivermectin was generally well tolerated, with no indication of associated CNS toxicity for doses up to 10 times the highest FDA-approved dose of 200 microg/kg. All dose regimens had a mydriatic effect similar to placebo. Adverse experiences were similar between ivermectin and placebo and did not increase with dose. Following single doses of 30 to 120 mg, AUC and Cmax were generally dose proportional, with t(max) approximately 4 hours and t1/2 approximately 18 hours. The geometric mean AUC of 30 mg ivermectin was 2.6 times higher when administered with food. Geometric mean AUC ratios (day 7/day 1) were 1.24 and 1.40 for the 30 and 60 mg doses, respectively, indicating that the accumulation of ivermectin given every fourth day is minimal. This study demonstrated that ivermectin is generally well tolerated at these higher doses and more frequent regimens."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12362927/

This is only an anti-parasite drug, it has no business being used against viruses or in reducing inflammation, STOP USING IT NOW!!:

"Ivermectin diminishes viral load and protects against organ damage in animal models of SARS-CoV-2 infection. Ivermectin reduces in vivo coronavirus infection in a mouse experimental model. The objective of this study was to test the effectiveness of ivermectin for the treatment of mouse hepatitis virus (MHV), a type 2 family RNA coronavirus similar to SARS-CoV-2. Female BALB/cJ mice were infected with 6,000 PFU of MHV-A59 (group infected, n = 20) or infected and then immediately treated with a single dose of 500 µg/kg ivermectin (group infected + IVM, n = 20) or were not infected and treated with PBS (control group, n = 16). Five days after infection/treatment, the mice were euthanized and the tissues were sampled to assess their general health status and infection levels. Overall, the results demonstrated that viral infection induced typical MHV-caused disease, with the livers showing severe hepatocellular necrosis surrounded by a severe lymphoplasmacytic inflammatory infiltration associated with a high hepatic viral load (52,158 AU), while mice treated with ivermectin showed a better health status with a lower viral load (23,192 AU; p < 0.05), with only a few having histopathological liver damage (p < 0.05). No significant differences were found between the group infected + IVM and control group mice (P = NS). Furthermore, serum transaminase levels (aspartate aminotransferase and alanine aminotransferase) were significantly lower in the treated mice than in the infected animals. In conclusion, ivermectin diminished the MHV viral load and disease in the mice, being a useful model for further understanding this therapy against coronavirus diseases."

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-86679-0

"The FDA-approved drug ivermectin inhibits the replication of SARS-CoV-2 in vitro: Ivermectin is an inhibitor of the COVID-19 causative virus (SARS-CoV-2) in vitro. A single treatment able to effect ~5000-fold reduction in virus at 48 h in cell culture. Ivermectin is FDA-approved for parasitic infections, and therefore has a potential for repurposing. Ivermectin is widely available, due to its inclusion on the WHO model list of essential medicines."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0166354220302011

"The FDA-approved broad spectrum antiviral small molecule ivermectin targets host importin α/β1 heterodimer. Infection by RNA viruses such as human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-1, influenza, and dengue virus (DENV) represent a major burden for human health worldwide. Although RNA viruses replicate in the infected host cell cytoplasm, the nucleus is central to key stages of the infectious cycle of HIV-1 and influenza, and an important target of DENV nonstructural protein 5 (NS5) in limiting the host antiviral response. We previously identified the small molecule ivermectin as an inhibitor of HIV-1 integrase nuclear entry, subsequently showing ivermectin could inhibit DENV NS5 nuclear import, as well as limit infection by viruses such as HIV-1 and DENV. We show here that ivermectin's broad spectrum antiviral activity relates to its ability to target the host importin (IMP) α/β1 nuclear transport proteins responsible for nuclear entry of cargoes such as integrase and NS5. We establish for the first time that ivermectin can dissociate the preformed IMPα/β1 heterodimer, as well as prevent its formation, through binding to the IMPα armadillo (ARM) repeat domain to impact IMPα thermal stability and α-helicity. We show that ivermectin inhibits NS5-IMPα interaction in a cell context using quantitative bimolecular fluorescence complementation. Finally, we show for the first time that ivermectin can limit infection by the DENV-related West Nile virus at low (μM) concentrations. Since it is FDA approved for parasitic indications, ivermectin merits closer consideration as a broad spectrum antiviral of interest."

https://oce.ovid.com/article/00078401-202005000-00007

"Given that little viral replication occurs in the later phases of COVID-19, nor can virus be cultured, and only in a minority of autopsies can viral cytopathic changes be found, the most likely pathophysiologic mechanism is that identified by Li et al where they showed that the nonviable RNA fragments of SARS-CoV-2 lead to a high mortality and morbidity in COVID-19 through the provocation of an overwhelming and injurious inflammatory response. Based on these insights and the clinical benefits of ivermectin in the late phase of disease to be reviewed below, it seems that the increasingly well-described in vitro properties of ivermectin as an inhibitor of inflammation are far more clinically potent than previously recognized. The growing list of studies demonstrating the anti-inflammatory properties of ivermectin include its ability to inhibit cytokine production after lipopolysaccharide exposure, downregulate transcription of NF-kB, and limit the production of both nitric oxide and prostaglandin E2."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8088823/

You guys can complain about the size and quality of the studies sure, but sizeable high-quality studies cost $$$. Should be asking why it fell onto the shoulders of the little guys and why the govt. has been remiss and has no appetite for anything besides expensive drugs.

"Elimination of COVID-19 is a race against viral evolution. No treatment, vaccine, or intervention is 100% available and effective for all current and future variants. All practical, effective, and safe means should be used. Those denying the efficacy of treatments share responsibility for the increased risk of COVID-19 becoming endemic; and the increased mortality, morbidity, and collateral damage. The evidence base is much larger and has much lower conflict of interest than typically used to approve drugs."

https://covid19criticalcare.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/SUMMARY-OF-THE-EVIDENCE-BASE-FINAL.pdf

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41429-021-00430-5

And you know what, Ivermectin may be a "wonder drug" after all

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1043661820315152

Another question to ask is why is the steroid dexamethasone still the standard of care? Months prior to the WHO recommending low dexamethasone, Dr. Paul Marik and others following the MATH+ protocol were already using and advocating for the mainstream use of Methylprednisolone upon O2 saturation dropping.

"Methylprednisolone is the most effective steroid to use to treat Covid-19 in the inflammatory phase of the virus. Methylprednisolone has both genomic and non-genomic effects on SARS-COV2 and it penetrates the lung tissues more effectively than Dexamethasone. Areas of the world that do not have Methylprednisolone can use Prednisolone as an alternative. Dexamethasone has fewer genomic effects on SARS-COV2 than both Methylprednisolone and Prednisolone. If providers choose to use Dexamethasone, then they should prescribe the dose in mg/kg and not give a fixed dose of 6 mg to all patients for 7-10 days (equivalent to 30 mg Methylprednisolone). This dexamethasone protocol is modeled after the dexamethasone RECOVERY trial."

Compare this treatment plan-

-to the one put out by corrupt soulless big-pharma $hills.

Hmm, I wonder which one works better and which group is actually in the business of helping people.

Remember, it's coming for you all regardless of vaxx status.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9805411/Anthony-Hess-spreads-Delta-Covid-strain-sixty-people-single-weekend-Los-Angeles.html

And the 2 most damning, devastating and revealing videos to watch if you haven't already.

I'm not sure where you want to go with the "natural immunity is better than vaccines" ? What point are you trying to make, what is the relevancy?

It says many times in that link that getting Covid to gain immunity is a huge risk and it's defeating the whole purpose of prevention!

Still, Thålin and other researchers stress that deliberate infection among unvaccinated people would put them at significant risk of severe disease and death, or the lingering, significant symptoms of what has been dubbed Long Covid. The study shows the benefits of natural immunity, but “doesn’t take into account what this virus does to the body to get to that point,” says Marion Pepper, an immunologist at the University of Washington, Seattle. COVID-19 has already killed more than 4 million people worldwide and there are concerns that Delta and other SARS-CoV-2 variants are deadlier than the original virus.

Plus the actual effective data sample is far too small for these wild ranging conclusions

“The differences are huge,” says Thålin, although she cautions that the numbers for infections and other events analyzed for the comparisons were “small.” For instance, the higher hospitalization rate in the 32,000-person analysis was based on just eight hospitalizations in a vaccinated group and one in a previously infected group. And the 13-fold increased risk of infection in the same analysis was based on just 238 infections in the vaccinated population, less than 1.5% of the more than 16,000 people, versus 19 reinfections among a similar number of people who once had SARS-CoV-2.

Plus the article goes on

In another analysis, the researchers compared more than 14,000 people who had a confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection and were still unvaccinated with an equivalent number of previously infected people who received one dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. The team found that the unvaccinated group was twice as likely to be reinfected as the singly vaccinated.

Vaccination still helps if already infected!

As for Ivermectin being a wonder drug, look at all the things smoking weed can cure! It was actually proposed for use against Covid-19 as well. No clue what happened to that study. Must be the anti natural drug lobby. Ahh here it is https://www.openaccessgovernment.org/cannabis-as-a-treatment-for-covid-19/106833/

In France studies showed just smoking helps! https://www.rfi.fr/en/science-and-technology/20210520-could-covid-be-treated-with-nicotine-french-researchers-are-trying-to-find-out-paris-hospital-trial-health-science-medicine

What will be the next wonder drug. Anyway get your nicotine patches, vape some cannabis daily, get your Vitamin D and Ivermectin on hand.

It is well known that you can still get and spread Covid-19 while vaccinated. I don't know how there are still people that don't know this. At least here the government has never said that vaccination makes you 'safe'. In the school guidelines everyone in a cohort and household has to isolate when a positive case is detected, regardless of vaccination status. (Vaccination status does make it easier to return if no symptoms) The daily numbers reports also split out cases between vaccinated and unvaccinated people. 25% to 30% of new cases are in fully vaccinated people.

And this is what happens if you bank on natural immunity to get it over with

About 204,000 children in the U.S. tested positive for COVID-19 in the week ending Aug. 26, the American Academy of Pediatrics reported. The number of cases in children has risen five-fold since the week ending July 22, when 38,000 cases were diagnosed.

“Look what’s happening in the southern U.S., it’s an absolute disaster,” Smart said. “Their ICUs are full of dying children with COVID-19 because they let COVID run completely out of control.

“I really do hope that’s not our situation because we do have much higher vaccination rates,” Smart said. “But if Delta starts running through our pediatric population we will start to see issues - because if a lot of kids get infected there will be children who are incredibly ill. That’s just a numbers game.

Here about 1/3rd of 12-18 have not been vaccinated yet and none under 12. Thanks to relaxed measures and a 2 to 3x more contagious Delta variant, schools are now at high risk while vaccinated people can still spread the disease to schools. Unfortunately schools are now the perfect hot spots for Covid-19 to thrive.

Our 12 year old has decided he wants the jab. Just trying to book an appointment yet despite the government pleading for more people to get vaccinated, most of the options to get the jab have dried up... September 8th is the soonest in the next town over. Locally no longer available. Vaccination rates have stalled here. 66.91% fully vaccinated (up 0.17%) and single dose 73.33% (up 0.08%) while doctors currently say over 90% fully vaccinated is needed for herd immunity (which is only possible with children under 12 also getting the jab).

School starts next week here. Guidelines are still fluid, "Getting ready for September 2021" welcome back to school page is still under construction. In the FAQ there are still things like this NOTE: some processes are still being worked out. Follow the direction of your local public health unit in all cases. 5 days to go, still don't even know what extra supplies they need... Confidence level is zero.

SvennoJ said:

In another analysis, the researchers compared more than 14,000 people who had a confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection and were still unvaccinated with an equivalent number of previously infected people who received one dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. The team found that the unvaccinated group was twice as likely to be reinfected as the singly vaccinated.

Vaccination still helps if already infected!

And this is what happens if you bank on natural immunity to get it over with

About 204,000 children in the U.S. tested positive for COVID-19 in the week ending Aug. 26, the American Academy of Pediatrics reported. The number of cases in children has risen five-fold since the week ending July 22, when 38,000 cases were diagnosed.

“Look what’s happening in the southern U.S., it’s an absolute disaster,” Smart said. “Their ICUs are full of dying children with COVID-19 because they let COVID run completely out of control.

“I really do hope that’s not our situation because we do have much higher vaccination rates,” Smart said. “But if Delta starts running through our pediatric population we will start to see issues - because if a lot of kids get infected there will be children who are incredibly ill. That’s just a numbers game.

To be fair, "twice as likely to be reinfected" can be the difference between 90% and 95% risk reduction.

On the other hand, that 95% is incredibly powerful. It's literally off the ELISA charts when you try to measure it, neutralizing not only any SARS-CoV-2 variant but also other Sarbecoviruses. Hopefully the same goes when the opposite happens and someone has a symptomatic breakthrough infection.

The whole kid Covid debate is also rather strange. There have been ~ 360 deaths in the under 18 age group in the US since the beginning of the pandemic - that's less than the deaths from influenza in most years in the past decade, and less than a third of those who died in the 2009 pandemic in that age group. 

"ICUs full of children dying from Covid-19" seems rather alarmistic and inaccurate in face of that data, unless they use the same expression to describe influenza in... well, just about every winter in a pediatric ward, really.

My law school did classes last year remote. This year, they decided to do classes in person but require that everyone is vaccinated and we all wear masks. But.. that doesn't really do much good for those of us who have to ride the subway to class, cause while there are mask mandates that *most* people follow, there's no vaccine requirement there, and not all people are wearing masks that would actually be effective.

Anyway, we had a class that had like 8 people, and we were in a massive classroom which was perfect. But they felt a small room would be better so we could all really share our experiences