By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

John2290 said:
I'd be so fucking worried right now if I was an American. Trump is on the "It's only the flu" shit. Here's his tweet from a half hour ago...

So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!

Just curious, how concerned would you be if the death toll that is currently attributed to the virus was a 10th of what it is? Would you demand the same panic and measures?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

2 deaths in Germany now. This time I read the news story...

No more handshaking and cheek kissing in Italy. Roman salutes save lives. Mandatory of course.

https://www.archyde.com/the-vice-president-of-the-italian-senate-recommends-using-the-fascist-salute-to-avoid-getting-the-coronavirus/

Trump is basically director Dyatlov from Chernobyl at this point. If there's a silver lining to him, his Iranian buddies are looking even worse in comparison.

Italy jumped to +9.000 cases and 463 deaths. That's almost 1800 new cases and almost 100 new deadly cases in 24 hours.

Around the Network
vivster said:
John2290 said:
I'd be so fucking worried right now if I was an American. Trump is on the "It's only the flu" shit. Here's his tweet from a half hour ago...

So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!

Just curious, how concerned would you be if the death toll that is currently attributed to the virus was a 10th of what it is? Would you demand the same panic and measures?

Who is demanding panic?

If the death toll was less, it would actually be worse on the healthcare system, if the need for critical care stayed the same...
If the death toll was less, response would be even slower, virus spreads faster and the healthcare system would collapse even worse...

We're in this mess currently since the death rate was not high/fast enough to either stop the disease or for other countries to take it serious enough to halt it before it was too late. (To stop it that is, never to late to get through the crisis)

It can take a long time to recover from this disease, 13% of active cases need to be hospitalized to survive. The death rate is not what's going to collapse the system, yet when the healthcare system can't keep up anymore, it will go up.

SvennoJ said:

UK: Boris Johnson holds emergency Cobra meeting. Pubs, church halls and schools could be closed and football matches called off as the UK Government prepares to ramp up efforts to stop the coronavirus spreading as UK cases soars to 280 with 51 in London.

Seems like our Government has taken notice.

[Edit]

+51 in a popluated place like London could be very serious...

Last edited by Quartz - on 09 March 2020

Good to see this site is still going 

Here in Brazil we have 25 confirmed cases. Some of them from people that traveled to Italy.

No deaths so far, but one of the victims is in serious condition.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
Here in Brazil we have 25 confirmed cases. Some of them from people that traveled to Italy.

No deaths so far, but one of the victims is in serious condition.

What's the weather there? There is some hope that hot humid weather will slow it down. So far it doesn't seem to spread as fast on the Southern hemisphere.

Barozi said:
2 deaths in Germany now. This time I read the news story...

They did declare 18 cases recovered before those deaths. Compare that to Iran where the first two cases were the first 2 deaths.