By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

konnichiwa said:
Italy jumped to +9.000 cases and 463 deaths. That's almost 1800 new cases and almost 100 new deadly cases in 24 hours.

Italy has overtaken South Korea as most cases outside of China.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
SvennoJ said:

What's the weather there? There is some hope that hot humid weather will slow it down. So far it doesn't seem to spread as fast on the Southern hemisphere.

The director general of the WHO said there is liekly to be no effect on the virus itself in the heat but an effect on human behaviour which will alter transmission rates. 

I heard drinking water helps since you then swallow any virus down which gets killed by stomach acid before it can infect you. So that way hot weather could help. Here it seems the opposite, first nice day, everyone comes out, very busy at the park. Soon baseball and soccer practice will start again. But maybe outdoor sports have a lower infection rate.

Seems like Spain will be the next Italy. 555 new cases today alone. Probably 700-1000 tomorrow.

And I hope Turkey will start to realize that hiding it doesn't help anyone. Also not their economy so dependent of tourism. 

Italy goes in full lockdown...

Barozi said:
Time to buy some shares

I'd say it's too early to do so just yet. Wait until the US get fully hit by the virus...

Around the Network

It looks like Israel is the first to get the message

All people entering Israel now must be quarantined. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said: "After a day of complex discussions, we have made a decision: Whoever arrives in Israel from abroad will enter quarantine for 14 days. This is a difficult decision but it is essential to maintaining public health, which takes precedence over everything. This decision will be in effect for two weeks. At the same time, we will make decisions to safeguard the Israeli economy"

https://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/Israeli-diagnosis-two-more-people-with-coronavirus-patients-40-and-41-620347

John2290 said:
I'd be so fucking worried right now if I was an American. Trump is on the "It's only the flu" shit. Here's his tweet from a half hour ago...

So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!

Trump vs Merkel

Trump's early travel restrictions vs. EU open borders

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Last edited by numberwang - on 09 March 2020

numberwang said:
John2290 said:
I'd be so fucking worried right now if I was an American. Trump is on the "It's only the flu" shit. Here's his tweet from a half hour ago...

So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!

Trump vs Merkel

Trump's early travel restrictions vs. EU open borders

Just because it hit the USA later than especially Italy doesn't mean USA won't get the same problems nor do the numbers from USA mean that they are real numbers. 

Test as many people as Italy or other countries do and we will see how many infected USA really has.

But I guess some people will never learn until they are infected and even then they will say everything is fine because...Trump

Just look back some weeks ago. China had 10000x as many cases as the EU even with open borders!

BTW there are many countries without "open borders" which have a much higher infection rate per 1m population than most countries in the EU have. But I'm sure you won't care about that.  

I hope you also realize that a big chunk of that comes only from Italy and that has nothing to do with open borders in the first EU country where it all really began, Ohh and it's also not true that there are around 23,000 infected in the EU. It's more like 14,000 right now if I look at the full list of countries. Or where do you get the other 9k from? South Korea, Japan and Diamond Princess or what? 

You can't be that illogical not to see that there is only one country in the EU right now (Italy) which looks much worse as the already confirmed 650+ cases in the USA and countries like Germany test many more to also find more.  

Last edited by crissindahouse - on 09 March 2020

Today, already 4280 new cases and 200 more people died, but politics...

ALL OF ITALY NOW IN EMERGENCY LOCKDOWN
Strict quarantine measures extended to all regions
Public told to stay home
Schools closed until April 3rd
No travel unless with a valid work or family reason
All public gatherings and sports events suspended

There must be many more cases in the USA already, as well as Egypt and probably many more countries. Might as well close the airports now.

SvennoJ said:
John2290 said:

The director general of the WHO said there is liekly to be no effect on the virus itself in the heat but an effect on human behaviour which will alter transmission rates. 

But maybe outdoor sports have a lower infection rate.

Nice theories but in reality, it's the sun.... uv light destroys the virus much faster than anything else. So the chances of picking up the virus from something with the virus on it diminishes by the minutes, not by the days.