By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

SvennoJ said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
Here in Brazil we have 25 confirmed cases. Some of them from people that traveled to Italy.

No deaths so far, but one of the victims is in serious condition.

What's the weather there? There is some hope that hot humid weather will slow it down. So far it doesn't seem to spread as fast on the Southern hemisphere.

It's hot and humid for most of the year. We have the winter from the end of June to September, but it doesn't get that cold.

The only part of Brazil that gets really cold is the southern region (Next to Argentina and Uruguay). It's the only part of the country where you can see snow. The rest is pretty much tropical.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Today, already 4280 new cases and 200 more people died, but politics...

ALL OF ITALY NOW IN EMERGENCY LOCKDOWN
Strict quarantine measures extended to all regions
Public told to stay home
Schools closed until April 3rd
No travel unless with a valid work or family reason
All public gatherings and sports events suspended

There must be many more cases in the USA already, as well as Egypt and probably many more countries. Might as well close the airports now.

Holy shit!!...that´s unprecedented right?...no one does that for "just the flu"

drkohler said:
SvennoJ said:

But maybe outdoor sports have a lower infection rate.

Nice theories but in reality, it's the sun.... uv light destroys the virus much faster than anything else. So the chances of picking up the virus from something with the virus on it diminishes by the minutes, not by the days.

According to the WHO is the humidity that hinders the spread of the Flu, but they also said that there was no evidence to suggest it would do the same for covid-19. It's mostly human behavior though. Cold weather, people stay indoors closer together with circulated air.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/05/190513155635.htm

NightlyPoe said:
SvennoJ said:

That really needs to change, it's not going away anytime soon. We're stuck with it for at least the rest of the year, likely longer until a working vaccine can be mass produced.

With all due respect, we have no idea how long this will remain uniquely dangerous.

There are no indications this will be over soon either

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/high-risk-complications.html

Get Ready for COVID-19 Now
  • Have supplies on hand
    • Contact your healthcare provider to ask about obtaining extra necessary medications to have on hand in case there is an outbreak of COVID-19 in your community and you need to stay home for a prolonged period of time.
    • If you cannot get extra medications, consider using mail-order for medications.
    • Be sure you have over-the-counter medicines and medical supplies (tissues, etc.) to treat fever and other symptoms. Most people will be able to recover from COVID-19 at home.
    • Have enough household items and groceries on hand so that you will be prepared to stay at home for a period of time.
  • Take everyday precautions
    • Avoid close contact with people who are sick
    • Take everyday preventive actions
      • Clean your hands often
      • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing, or having been in a public place.
      • If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
      • To the extent possible, avoid touching high-touch surfaces in public places – elevator buttons, door handles, handrails, handshaking with people, etc. Use a tissue or your sleeve to cover your hand or finger if you must touch something.
      • Wash your hands after touching surfaces in public places.
      • Avoid touching your face, nose, eyes, etc.
      • Clean and disinfect your home to remove germs: practice routine cleaning of frequently touched surfaces (for example: tables, doorknobs, light switches, handles, desks, toilets, faucets, sinks & cell phones)
      • Avoid crowds, especially in poorly ventilated spaces. Your risk of exposure to respiratory viruses like COVID-19 may increase in crowded, closed-in settings with little air circulation if there are people in the crowd who are sick.
      • Avoid all non-essential travel including plane trips, and especially avoid embarking on cruise ships.
  • If COVID-19 is spreading in your community, take extra measures to put distance between yourself and other people to further reduce your risk of being exposed to this new virus.
    • Stay home as much as possible.
      • Consider ways of getting food brought to your house through family, social, or commercial networks
  • Have a plan for if you get sick:
    • Consult with your health care provider for more information about monitoring your health for symptoms suggestive of COVID-19.
    • Stay in touch with others by phone or email. You may need to ask for help from friends, family, neighbors, community health workers, etc. if you become sick.
    • Determine who can provide you with care if your caregiver gets sick

Watch for symptoms and emergency warning signs

• Pay attention for potential COVID-19 symptoms including, fever, cough, and shortness of breath. If you feel like you are developing symptoms, call your doctor.
  • If you develop emergency warning signs for COVID-19 get medical attention immediately. In adults, emergency warning signs*:
    • Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
    • Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
    • New confusion or inability to arouse
    • Bluish lips or face

*This list is not all inclusive. Please consult your medical provider for any other symptoms that are severe or concerning.

I'm sorry but we're in it for the long haul.

The [UK] government is working on the basis that it will take 2 - 3 months after the first sustained human to human transmission for the outbreak to peak. That potentially key point on time frames was spelled out by Britain’s chief scientific adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance. After that, it would take another 2 - 3 months for it to taper off.

Maybe we'll find a way to stop this from traveling around the world and starting new outbreaks. If not, it won't go away on its own until a vaccine is ready and/or enough people are immune to stop it spreading.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 09 March 2020

NightlyPoe said:
SvennoJ said:

There are no indications this will be over soon either

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/high-risk-complications.html

Get Ready for COVID-19 Now
  • Have supplies on hand
    • Contact your healthcare provider to ask about obtaining extra necessary medications to have on hand in case there is an outbreak of COVID-19 in your community and you need to stay home for a prolonged period of time.
    • If you cannot get extra medications, consider using mail-order for medications.
    • Be sure you have over-the-counter medicines and medical supplies (tissues, etc.) to treat fever and other symptoms. Most people will be able to recover from COVID-19 at home.
    • Have enough household items and groceries on hand so that you will be prepared to stay at home for a period of time.
  • Take everyday precautions
    • Avoid close contact with people who are sick
    • Take everyday preventive actions
      • Clean your hands often
      • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing, or having been in a public place.
      • If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
      • To the extent possible, avoid touching high-touch surfaces in public places – elevator buttons, door handles, handrails, handshaking with people, etc. Use a tissue or your sleeve to cover your hand or finger if you must touch something.
      • Wash your hands after touching surfaces in public places.
      • Avoid touching your face, nose, eyes, etc.
      • Clean and disinfect your home to remove germs: practice routine cleaning of frequently touched surfaces (for example: tables, doorknobs, light switches, handles, desks, toilets, faucets, sinks & cell phones)
      • Avoid crowds, especially in poorly ventilated spaces. Your risk of exposure to respiratory viruses like COVID-19 may increase in crowded, closed-in settings with little air circulation if there are people in the crowd who are sick.
      • Avoid all non-essential travel including plane trips, and especially avoid embarking on cruise ships.
  • If COVID-19 is spreading in your community, take extra measures to put distance between yourself and other people to further reduce your risk of being exposed to this new virus.
    • Stay home as much as possible.
      • Consider ways of getting food brought to your house through family, social, or commercial networks
  • Have a plan for if you get sick:
    • Consult with your health care provider for more information about monitoring your health for symptoms suggestive of COVID-19.
    • Stay in touch with others by phone or email. You may need to ask for help from friends, family, neighbors, community health workers, etc. if you become sick.
    • Determine who can provide you with care if your caregiver gets sick

Watch for symptoms and emergency warning signs

• Pay attention for potential COVID-19 symptoms including, fever, cough, and shortness of breath. If you feel like you are developing symptoms, call your doctor.
  • If you develop emergency warning signs for COVID-19 get medical attention immediately. In adults, emergency warning signs*:
    • Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
    • Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
    • New confusion or inability to arouse
    • Bluish lips or face

*This list is not all inclusive. Please consult your medical provider for any other symptoms that are severe or concerning.

I'm sorry but we're in it for the long haul.

Why in the world did you copy and paste all that?  It contains no information one way or the other as to the topic of how long this will last.

Why would the CDC be advising people to get ready now? They are expecting community outbreaks.

You forgot this bit

The [UK] government is working on the basis that it will take 2 - 3 months after the first sustained human to human transmission for the outbreak to peak. That potentially key point on time frames was spelled out by Britain’s chief scientific adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance. After that, it would take another 2 - 3 months for it to taper off.

It's been going on since December in China.

I copy pasted that, because you should get prepared. A local outbreak can last months to half a year, and we have no way yet to stop it from spreading and creating new outbreaks. Actually we do, but giving up mobility is still too much to ask, at least until it's too late.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/home/get-your-household-ready-for-COVID-19.html

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 09 March 2020

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
SvennoJ said:

Why would the CDC be advising people to get ready now? They are expecting community outbreaks.

It's called responsible preparation.  You don't base your response on wishcasting.

You forgot this bit

I didn't forget that.  You didn't post it.*

And "working on the basis" is again, just responsible preparation.

*Edit:  Looks like you edited it into your post after I'd already responded.

Sorry, I did add that later. I'm not sure what we're arguing about btw. From what I've read, heard the experts say and see in the data, I expect the threat to last for the rest of the year if not beyond that. I don't think this will go away or suddenly change into something less harmful. Not every area will be hit, but any area can be hit with an outbreak. It all depends on our own actions and those from the ones around us.

If you know something why this would go away, please share :)

NightlyPoe said:
SvennoJ said:

Sorry, I did add that later. I'm not sure what we're arguing about btw. From what I've read, heard the experts say and see in the data, I expect the threat to last for the rest of the year if not beyond that. I don't think this will go away or suddenly change into something less harmful. Not every area will be hit, but any area can be hit with an outbreak. It all depends on our own actions and those from the ones around us.

If you know something why this would go away, please share :)

It's an evolving disease.  It would hardly be unprecedented if less deadly strains became more prevalent as the deadlier strains die out due to either killing its host or being so conspicuous that the host is put into quarantine early.  Will that happen?  I don't know.

Let me point out my own view on the subject.  I live in a hurricane zone.  I've probably put up my shutters a dozen times in the past 20 years.  I've only been hit directly by a hurricane 1.5 times.  But that's doesn't mean I don't prepare.  That I don't get my hurricane supplies, gas up my car, make sure the windows are protected, and leave work with all the electronics unplugged and covered.  It's possible to have a healthy respect for the worst-case scenario while acknowledging that it might not happen.  I treat every hurricane that has a chance to hit as a certainty* because, in the end, it only takes one to completely wreck you.

And that's how the CDC operates.  They treat the worst-case scenario as a certainty*, making sure the public is ready and prepped to mitigate the spread of the disease.  Not because they're absolutely sure that the worst will happen.  But because they're absolutely sure that the worst CAN happen.  And if it does, they need to be proactive to keep it from getting completely out of control.

*Huh, went a bit Batfleck there didn't I?

Understood. What I was getting at is that the threat won't go a way for a long time, just like Hurricanes won't stop happening.

Anyway, I'm keeping my eyes open for any local cases turning up.

Snip

Forget it, not even getting into it.

Sporting events have already been cancelled everywhere in Europe. Interested in following where this goes in NA.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

John2290 said:
vivster said:

Just curious, how concerned would you be if the death toll that is currently attributed to the virus was a 10th of what it is? Would you demand the same panic and measures?

Wow. I never thought I'd see you in line with Trump on something. My respect. 

I'm worried gor two people in my life who will be warrented a death sentence from this virus so nothing would change. It also doesn't matter about the death rate, if it was much lower the problem doesn't just go away as it's still exponential and critical patients are still going to over load the system at some point as they pile up through the year even if it's half of the expected 10% or a quarter or an eight. We've seen now in Italy how little stress a well managed medical system can take and it is very little. You cut the numbers down tenfold and they still pile up over time with the rate and breath of infection. 

Why do you ask?

I don't align with Trump. It's just a coincident that thinking properly about the issue and not thinking at all lead to the same conclusion.

The health care system is overwhelmed not because of the severity of the virus but because of the forced and unproportional reaction to it. It would be overwhelmed 10 times as much if you treated the common cold exactly like it. I'm pretty sure that if this virus is threatening to kill the people you care for, so will many other common ailments. So how come you've not been a complete nervous wreck long before corona came around? Could it be the hysteria created around it by the media and the constant direct stimulation of fears with scary looking numbers that actually aren't that scary?

I mean I'm not thrilled that we have another virus additionally to flu and cold viruses, but I'll be damned if I waste precious resources on this one when there are already way more serious health issues out there.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.