By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Canada is not even in the top 20

Around the Network

John2290 said:
Angelus said:

It's over 7000 cases, actually.

That esculated quickly. Hard to keep up with these numbers. 

Additionally, most of them are concentrated in a small part of the country, so while there may be free space in other regions, the region around Milan is full to the brink.

Last edited by Phoenix20 - on 09 March 2020

Things are escalating. The markets are crashing. Anxiety is increasing. People are starting to panic. I hope this is all over soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

Time to buy some shares

Barozi said:
Time to buy some shares

Yeah I am usually all over buying opportunities like this. Unfortunately I am broke, have next to no capital to invest, and very illiquid ATM. Going through grad school is tough financially.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar said:
Things are escalating. The markets are crashing. Anxiety is increasing. People are starting to panic. I hope this is all over soon.

I don´t think this will all be over anytime soon.

Signalstar said:

That really needs to change, it's not going away anytime soon. We're stuck with it for at least the rest of the year, likely longer until a working vaccine can be mass produced.

It started in December in China, they took drastic measures to turn it around, so drastic I doubt the West will ever go that far, but we'll see what happens in Italy. Currently it's on decline in China, but they still have near 19K active cases, and still detect (44) new cases daily 3 months after the outbreak was certain.

People need to prepare for this, don't make holiday plans this year. It will be going around and around since I don't see the world coming together to halt airline traffic, check people crossing the borders and find and isolate all active cases to get this to go away. It's out, seeded all over the world, we have to live with it now.

Panic is not the answer. Avoid travel, avoid gatherings if possible, if you have a fever, stay home until you can be certain it's not Covid-19. Cough into something if you have to cough, make sure it can't get into the air. Most people will be fine but not without help. The goal is now to slow it down so it can be managed and people don't end up dying for lack of hospital beds.

Wise words from Germany
Coronavirus has been in Germany since Wednesday last week. Our priority now is to slow its spread. The slower the virus spreads, the better the healthcare system can cope.” Health Minister Jens Spahn said on Sunday adding “Consider also what in your daily life is so important that you can’t do without it for the next three months, whether that’s an evening clubbing, a family birthday or a club meeting

Social distancing works and needs to start now
Belgium: Community spread has started, with people who have returned from Italy living almost everywhere in Belgium, local circulation is ongoing in different places of the territory

UK: Boris Johnson holds emergency Cobra meeting. Pubs, church halls and schools could be closed and football matches called off as the UK Government prepares to ramp up efforts to stop the coronavirus spreading as UK cases soars to 280 with 51 in London.

It's coming back from the USA as well now, yesterday one in Canada from Colorado, 4 in Czech Republic from Boston, 2 in Australia. It's basically community spread on a  global scale now.

Summer might slow it down in the Northern hemisphere for the virus to keep going in South America and Australia. Come fall it will come back North (if we can even reverse it to a trickle before that) unless we have figured out a way by then to detect it early. (It requires a lab test now to confirm covid-19)

Hopefully a treatment can be found but maybe that simply isn't possible since it's like the flu, nor can I find any info on that. For now it seems the only strategy left is to slow it down until either a working vaccine is available or enough people have caught the disease to become immune on their own to stop further spread in the future.
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/3/6/21161234/coronavirus-covid-19-science-outbreak-ends-endemic-vaccine

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 09 March 2020

Barozi said:
haxxiy said:

First German death, yes, but not the first death in Germany, so the streak goes on.

oh you're right. I skimmed through the news story and thought he caught the virus in Egypt and died back home in Germany.

Silly you. Gemany is an export country. We always export death.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.