By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Bofferbrauer2 said:
LurkerJ said:
COVID situation is terrible in many European countries, population adjusted, they're pretty similar actually to the US.

Not sure why the states are being mocked when many countries in the west aren't doing much better?

It's less mocking the US and more Trumps reaction to Covid and the ludicrous things he's saying and spreading about it.

As for the number of cases, Europe got it's cases down to low numbers after their first peak while the US always stayed high, which is one of the main reason as to why Trump's response was getting mocked so much. The 7-day moving average hasn't dropped below 35k cases a day since June when Europe as a whole got less than 5K a day, and less than 2K without Russia. The US are at the beginning of another peak while Europe is starting to peak or even past it in some countries, so it's quite possible that in a couple weeks the US will look worse than Europe again, just like it was in March

Pretty much this.

Europe was hit early, Trump didn't do a thing except mocking those countries and a few weeks later the US was not only on par with those European countries, they surpassed almost every single one of them. Now that the European countries are around their peak of the 2nd wave they are only "similar" to the US? That's a very bad sign for the US then once they experience a real 2nd wave.

Around the Network
numberwang said:

It seems that overall mortality in the US has returned into the normal range (graph ends 26. September and last three weeks are estimations).

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

Just wanted to follow up on this since I was curious if how this would change with time. 

Basically that same graph now goes out to oct 17th and every week up until the last one (up until Oct 10th) is well above the threshold to have excess deaths. You cannot look at the last week and make any claims because these will be adjusted as the website itself says: 

Ontario released data on where the second wave is coming from to illustrate the differences between regions

So much for schools being safe... And closing restaurants won't do much.

For now they seem content cases are going to be in the 800s (934 today) for the next month since ICU capacity won't be reached according to the latest modelling. We have not peaked yet btw, just growing more slowly. However retirement homes are starting to get hit again, death toll will rise. Dead people are fine, the number of people in ICU beds is what determines the course of action :/

Two back to back days of over 500k cases.

LurkerJ said:
COVID situation is terrible in many European countries, population adjusted, they're pretty similar actually to the US.

Not sure why the states are being mocked when many countries in the west aren't doing much better?

European countries who fucked it up got mocked as well from Europeans especially if they didn't even try to do much but there are differences. The death rate as example doesn't really speak for USA especially if you consider that USA has a younger population. If you have 5.5x as many people as Italy but only like 3x as many above 70 and you still have a higher death rate and all of that while Italy was already horrible when USA could still prepare for it then it just doesn't look good.

Then there is also the fact that a country like Spain is much poorer. USA is considered to be such a rich country but their health system didn't show that at all. You would think a rich country can manage this better as a much poorer country. 

But we talk about deaths here and nobody should make fun of another country. It's just sad how Trump tried to act so long as if it's nothing and since a while he acts as if it will be gone soon. All of that just because of his thirst for power. 

Around the Network

Over 90k in a single day in the US... third wave is starting to build up there now, too.

With over 500 deaths in a day on France are people still pretending second wave is not dangerous and everything must stay open because... well reasons?  

If I'm not mistaken, the timeframe from infection to death is about 5 weeks, so this number will just go up this November, poor Europe

IcaroRibeiro said:

With over 500 deaths in a day on France are people still pretending second wave is not dangerous and everything must stay open because... well reasons?  

If I'm not mistaken, the timeframe from infection to death is about 5 weeks, so this number will just go up this November, poor Europe

France, open? That post is a day too late.

Parts of Paris are under complete lockdown, and the rest of the country is under a lockdown, too. In fact, thousands of people tried to get out of Paris before the lockdown, resulting in record traffic jam.

I do agree however that France should have gone into lockdown a good 2-4 weeks earlier

Bofferbrauer2 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

France, open? That post is a day too late.

Parts of Paris are under complete lockdown, and the rest of the country is under a lockdown, too. In fact, thousands of people tried to get out of Paris before the lockdown, resulting in record traffic jam.

I do agree however that France should have gone into lockdown a good 2-4 weeks earlier

I know, I was just shading some users here 

The numbers coming out of Europe atm are pretty scary, 282K new cases yesterday and averaging 2500 deaths daily.
Italy is getting hit hard again as well, did they not learn from the first wave :(
Now the USA is starting to build a second wave as well. At least India and Brazil are still declining but for how long.

The advice here atm is
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canadians-need-to-cut-contacts-by-25-per-cent-to-curb-second-covid-19-wave-modelling-1.5167784
Basically leaving it up to the people to 'fix' it. That hasn't worked so far :/