By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

This will go on 2021, there wont be enough time for vaccines for everyone.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Pemalite said:

You have met Australians right?
We abused our leader, we ridiculed our leader, we dragged our leader through the mud, we refused to shake our leaders hand... And that was in January this year while the country was burning.
COVID hit and our leader introduces measures to curb it's spread, we listened and we complied for the benefit of the entire nation.

Amazing how one single corrupt, incompetent, selfish wanker can have an entire country against him, then support him a month later.... Why? Because his arguments were sound when they needed to be sound.

The reason why Trump just can't convince Americans of anything is simply because... He is an absolute idiot that has divided the nation and keeps it divided and hasn't provided any sound arguments or plans to stop COVID in it's track, it's simply a running joke at this point...

Absolutely destroyed economy, way to many lives lost... And all he cares is probably when he can play Golf next.

We had a similar thing with Ontario Premier Doug Ford. dude was a total trash fire of a leader, then COVID happened and...he handled it remarkably well for about 6 months, changing even this liberal SJW's mind on him. 

I beg to differ, Doug Ford can kiss my ass. The way he handles back to school is beyond redemption. School was supposed to start on the 8th, it's a shit show everywhere. We still don't even know who our kids teachers are going to be, when the online portion will start or how. For the kids going to school he made sure to fill classes up so now you have full (29 kids) classes with 3 grades per class and one teacher since he fired a bunch of teachers because a lot of parents don't trust the school situation and opted for online learning.

Plus he let lots of people die in elderly home by taking forever to stop people working at multiple homes. He's made the situation much worse than it needed to be. Cases are on the rise again as well, The province reported 170 new cases of COVID-19, marking the 15th day in a row in which the number of new infections has surpassed 100.

SvennoJ said:
Runa216 said:

We had a similar thing with Ontario Premier Doug Ford. dude was a total trash fire of a leader, then COVID happened and...he handled it remarkably well for about 6 months, changing even this liberal SJW's mind on him. 

I beg to differ, Doug Ford can kiss my ass. The way he handles back to school is beyond redemption. School was supposed to start on the 8th, it's a shit show everywhere. We still don't even know who our kids teachers are going to be, when the online portion will start or how. For the kids going to school he made sure to fill classes up so now you have full (29 kids) classes with 3 grades per class and one teacher since he fired a bunch of teachers because a lot of parents don't trust the school situation and opted for online learning.

Plus he let lots of people die in elderly home by taking forever to stop people working at multiple homes. He's made the situation much worse than it needed to be. Cases are on the rise again as well, The province reported 170 new cases of COVID-19, marking the 15th day in a row in which the number of new infections has surpassed 100.

Oh, to be clear I didn't say I STILL like him. He did good between March and about half of August; the back-to-school stuff has been ridiculous. I agree wholeheartedly. 

Conservatives gonna be regressive, I guess. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

PopFan said:

15% of vaccinated people + a high level of immunization in the population will be more than enough to make it stop almost.

In Sweden, they have made their largest number of test last week, conclusion, it is nearly over there, and they never stopped living normally and without mask.

Amnesia said:
PopFan said:

15% of vaccinated people + a high level of immunization in the population will be more than enough to make it stop almost.

In Sweden, they have made their largest number of test last week, conclusion, it is nearly over there, and they never stopped living normally and without mask.

"they never stopped living normally"

You mean aside from having a bigger economic decline and higher unemployment rate than the other Nordic countries?

"they have made their largest number of test last week, conclusion, it is nearly over there"

"Over the past week the country carried out more than 120,000 tests, of which only 1.3 per cent identified the disease."

Germany's been below 1.3% since the end of May (with one week in between slightly above it at 1.37%). That's hardly an impressive number and shows just how much worse the Swedes handled it. I didn't check the numbers but I think Denmark, Norway and Finland had a much much lower number than Germany even.

And let's not talk about the death rate which is 5 times higher than Denmark, 9 times higher than Finland and almost 12 times higher than Norway...

Around the Network
Barozi said:

Amnesia said:

You mean aside from having a bigger economic decline and higher unemployment rate than the other Nordic countries?

"they have made their largest number of test last week, conclusion, it is nearly over there"

"Over the past week the country carried out more than 120,000 tests, of which only 1.3 per cent identified the disease."

Germany's been below 1.3% since the end of May (with one week in between slightly above it at 1.37%). That's hardly an impressive number and shows just how much worse the Swedes handled it. I didn't check the numbers but I think Denmark, Norway and Finland had a much much lower number than Germany even.

And let's not talk about the death rate which is 5 times higher than Denmark, 9 times higher than Finland and almost 12 times higher than Norway...

Positivity rates around 1% are irrelevant and interchangeable considering noise from false positives or sample contamination.

Besides, both Norway and Denmark now have higher cases per capita, and even in absolute cases, if we are talking about Denmark. So, who knows what winter will bring. It's a sprint, not a race. Not that I'm rooting for disaster, of course, but the trend seems clear all over Europe and that will have to be reckoned and dealt with, with all the expected impacts.

There was also this:

The now completely laughable model from the Imperial College for Sweden, that evidently way, way overshot both the IFR and percentage of infected people until the outbreak ends.

Barozi said:
Amnesia said:

As a french, I am just seeing that Sweden had as much death approx. as Italy and France, and yet they had no full lock down, and they could and are still living without mask. Today the 2nd wave doesn't take off in Sweden and it does in France. I am spared now from all this hysteria because I live in a far area of Hungary, but I am seriously considering searching a job in Sweden now.

I guess we only have false positive here then with a positivity rate of average 0.5%... Test reliability must be getting worse as the positivity rate is slowly going up with the same number of tests. It was down to 0.25%, now up to 0.90%. All those people still in hiding for nothing, not allowed to visit hospitals and elderly homes for nothing, keeping the borders shut for nothing, keeping the kids home for nothing, sticking to their small social bubbles for nothing, keeping their distance for nothing, keeping people out / limiting customers inside for nothing, wearing masks for nothing.... It has been over for months!

Sorry, but only thanks to the ongoing measures we're staying below the predictions from the imperial college. It's still here, moving along the younger population that have far less severe symptoms and far less deaths. Life is far from back to normal.

302k cases today.

Amnesia said:
Barozi said:

As a french, I am just seeing that Sweden had as much death approx. as Italy and France, and yet they had no full lock down, and they could and are still living without mask. Today the 2nd wave doesn't take off in Sweden and it does in France. I am spared now from all this hysteria because I live in a far area of Hungary, but I am seriously considering searching a job in Sweden now.

You're not thinking...at all.

You're comparing two countries from different regions. Compare Sweden to Norway, Denmark and Finland. They are far more similar in climate, wealth and mentality. They also share borders and thus the people there have more working and loving relations.

France borders Spain and Italy and they have a direct connection to the UK. All of these regions were hit the hardest and you're surprised that France is worse off than many other European states and just slightly better than Sweden?

Also you're not even considering what would've happened in France if they didn't go into lockdown and forced mask wearing. I told you what happened in Sweden's neighboring states in my previous post - several times lower death rates. Using the same multiplier for France, it's not unlikely to assume that their death toll would be 100k-300k without these measures.

You can't have a 2nd wave if the first isn't over. France and many other countries were trending down much earlier than Sweden, while Sweden finally "ended" their first wave. That doesn't mean that there won't be a 2nd wave in Sweden. You'd be incredibly naive to assume that. Just as naive as to assume that there won't be a 3rd, a 4th or a 5th wave in any other country until a vaccine is ready.

Last edited by Barozi - on 11 September 2020