By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

US had over 1000 confirmed deaths yesterday.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

The Covid-19 situation has seriously gone to shit in Romania in the last month or so, went from almost under 100 cases in early June to possibly over 1000 in the following days. It really doesn't help that many here can't even be bothered to wear a mask in indoors places and in public transport, when it really shouldn't be that much of a problem.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

CaptainExplosion said:
JRPGfan said:

Or..... they arn't doing to well with their own efforts into a vaccine, and are hopeing they can copy the work of others if they manage to?

I seriously doubt they are trying to mess up, others research just for the hell of it, because their a "terror state".

If they're not a terror state, then why are they so chummy with Iran and North Korea, who are both terror states?

For diplomatic reasons,why would they want enemies so closeby ?

Same as why Europe exists after hundreds years of war against eachother,and trade ofcourse.

A study published today in Nature shows T-cell activation is present in all individuals even seventeen years after SARS-CoV infection.

It seems increasingly doubtful people will need more than one shot of the vaccine or one infection, even after sterilizing immunity is gone after a year or so (which some people naïvely confound with immunity as a whole as evidenced... here and there).

Then it'll just be another common cold if it's still symptomatic at all (which maybe it won't be, since cellular immune cross-reaction to other coronaviruses seem to be able to effectively purge SARS-CoV-2 with mild to no symptoms already).

Edit - as a side note, I'm convinced there must be some reaaally massive immune cross reaction with other or others, as of yet unidentified, betacoronavirus(es) in eastern and specially southeastern Asia. Cultural differences and mask wearing in no way can be responsible for the difference force of infection we're seeing between various places in the world, given the H1N1 experience.

jason1637 said:
A 71k day today in the US

And over 1000 deaths, first time since  June 9 that this bar has been passed.

Around the Network
haxxiy said:

A study published today in Nature shows T-cell activation is present in all individuals even seventeen years after SARS-CoV infection.

It seems increasingly doubtful people will need more than one shot of the vaccine or one infection, even after sterilizing immunity is gone after a year or so (which some people naïvely confound with immunity as a whole as evidenced... here and there).

Then it'll just be another common cold if it's still symptomatic at all (which maybe it won't be, since cellular immune cross-reaction to other coronaviruses seem to be able to effectively purge SARS-CoV-2 with mild to no symptoms already).

Edit - as a side note, I'm convinced there must be some reaaally massive immune cross reaction with other or others, as of yet unidentified, betacoronavirus(es) in eastern and specially southeastern Asia. Cultural differences and mask wearing in no way can be responsible for the difference force of infection we're seeing between various places in the world, given the H1N1 experience.

Not sure about any of the T-cell stuff.... but I've read that Antibody levels peak about 3weeks-1month after infection, and slowly drop off.
Usually within 3-4 months the anti body levels are so low, you arn't really protected anymore.

Also theres stories of people getting reinfected.
Not just the false positives, retested and found because of a faulty test picking up on dead virus cells in the blood stream.

Actual 2nd time infections (so far it appears rare) however its possible to get coronavirus a 2nd time.
Also the in one case, the person that got the 2nd time, had it worse than the first time they got sick.

This kinda goes against what your saying, about 17 years of immunity and whatnot.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
jason1637 said:
A 71k day today in the US

And over 1000 deaths, first time since  June 9 that this bar has been passed.

Dont worry, soon the reported data wont go to the CDC anymore, but though the whitehouse administration insteada to HHS? I think its called.
(outsides of public rearch)

After that, you ll see numbers reported drop and magically go away.... and everything will be fine, because Trump says so.
The US will be saved from that terrible virus, and Trump can have is "mission accomplished" moment.

Just keep your eyes off of those refrigerated trucks running to the hospitals, they arn't important.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 16 July 2020

The re-opening of schools is up to the local jurisdictions.

JRPGfan said:
CaptainExplosion said:

If this is true, then Russia can't be trusted, ESPECIALLY during a pandemic.

Bad enough they grab whatever countries they can and shoot down civilians over the Ukraine, now they're trying to fuck up whatever chances we have of getting out of the pandemic alive.

industrial espionage.  <----- real reason imo.

Russia is like "what have you guys discovered about the virus? hows the results of testing going? got anything promising?"

Basically russia isn't counting on others "shareing" their discoveries, but would reaaaaallly like to have a vaccine too.
So their "best option" is to go have a looksie at what others found out.

I wouldnt put it past America and China to do the same, with hackers targeting research labs, to see how far along they are, and what they found.
its just, no one comes out and shouts "bad america, bad china" stop trying to hack into our systems.

With russian? they got no friends, so everyone is quick to point a finger.

Honestly can you blame Russia?
Its in their intrests to get access to vaccine results, and developments, because they cant count on anyone being decent enough to help them.
The virus is a world wide problem, everyone should be shareing everything, and the vaccines should be free for everyone (when you find one that works).

Reality? how likely is that to happend?

Not sure where you get your information that nobody is sharing infos about vaccines. We are not even at a point where we could produce one so how in the world is it justified to spy on anyone? Also, hell yes, we can blame Russia. They have no friends because they've been complete assholes to everyone for the past decades.

Your support for a criminal country doing criminal things feels really weird and misplaced here.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Hiku said:
EricHiggin said:

Sorry. My bad. I didn't realize agreement was also essential..

What was I thinking?

You're missing the point as to why that was brought up though. I'm saying the power plant and the entire system isn't fully automated. Without those workers, some people will die. So what they may do is essential, but those people aren't robots. They aren't slaves to that job. The reasons they do that job matters greatly, and suggesting that a person in that position has no morals, or a lack of them, in comparison to someone else who is or isn't deemed an essential worker of another sort is nonsense. Someone else having the "moral high ground" because they automatically deem their job more virtuous, is, well, to be expected in today's world unfortunately. Not that there couldn't be any merit in that thought process, but it's not like my job is selling t-shirts. I can see why some may be confused though since they 'know how much I love my t's..'

What I'm missing is who claimed that power plant workers are not essential?
Pemalite said "You do know what an essential worker is right? Going into lockdown does not mean and has not ever meant any of that halts... Meaning your entire argument is non-sequitur."

Meaning power plants are still operational during a lockdown because power plant workers are deemed essential workers.

vivster said:
EricHiggin said:

Sorry. My bad. I didn't realize agreement was also essential..

What was I thinking?

You're missing the point as to why that was brought up though. I'm saying the power plant and the entire system isn't fully automated. Without those workers, some people will die. So what they may do is essential, but those people aren't robots. They aren't slaves to that job. The reasons they do that job matters greatly, and suggesting that a person in that position has no morals, or a lack of them, in comparison to someone else who is or isn't deemed an essential worker of another sort is nonsense. Someone else having the "moral high ground" because they automatically deem their job more virtuous, is, well, to be expected in today's world unfortunately. Not that there couldn't be any merit in that thought process, but it's not like my job is selling t-shirts. I can see why some may be confused though since they 'know how much I love my t's..'

What even is it that you're arguing against right now? Is it still against lockdowns that were executed well in so many other countries without them dissolving into chaos? Or have you given up on that hopeless position and are just trying to side track with meaningless philosophy?

Please enlighten me because I genuinely cannot see any coherent point in your last few posts.

Pemalite said:
EricHiggin said:

I'll save you the time, by pointing out that it's about what's essential to the individual first, and the community second. The question you aren't asking is, is the job essential to me? If the answer to that happens to be no, as in I don't so much require the money, then you can't help but ask why am I doing it then, or more importantly, why have I gone back to that sector of work again? Maybe it potentially has to do with my morals? Considering trades aren't exactly a dime a dozen, the more specialized one's even beyond that, and what they provide tends to be deemed as necessity in today's world.

Ignoring all the other pointless irrelevant rubbish (I.E. Memes/Gifs/Videos) you posted...

An essential worker is someone who provides an essential service in order for a standard of living to be maintained and necessities provided to an entire society.
Thus any personal "opinions" on whether something is essential or not as you may not use a particular service or product is thus moot, personal situation and opinion has nothing to do with it.

Those who work in the food industry preparing, packaging and delivering food is such an essential worker, you might grow your own food, doesn't stop them being an essential worker for society.

Those who work to deliver and support water and electricity being delivered to our homes are an essential worker, you might use rain water and solar power, doesn't stop those services being essential to support society.

A firefighter is an essential worker, because life, property and the environment still needs to be protected.

That. Is an essential worker... And those are the workers that need to keep working during a pandemic... And those are the workers we need to protect during a pandemic in order to provide essential goods and services to keep society functioning.

The key words "society functioning". Not "Eric functioning".

Ok, so you want people to do things a certain way because of covid, that will benefit you so you can keep doing what you're doing, and that's what gives you the moral high ground?

All people are not the same. For all you know, I may be asymptomatic, or may have antibodies, so others 'doing their part', may be a complete waste of their time. In fact, the poorer communication with other employees or customers could very well create problems, because at times, it does. Do you risk removing masks to make sure vital information is crystal clear, potentially spreading or contracting the illness, or do you waste precious time, or hope for the best and potentially get someone inured or killed because something wasn't comprehensible?

If I said all drivers of the general public should pull off to the side of the road for me when on my way to a potentially life threatening emergency call, would that be a reasonable and justifiable request? By doing so, would that now give me higher moral standards, because I'm willing to inconvenience all those drivers for someone else's good, potentially helping to save lives? Would it really be much of an inconvenience at all? Why isn't that a thing then if what I do is so essential? If shutting power down to others in the area is a justified inconvenience to complete the work, why not drivers on the way to the outage?

If I don't personally choose to function at that essential work for whatever reason, then the work doesn't get done, and people don't receive those services, so personal opinions and choices do matter. If I'm willing to do the job regardless of whether or not others are masked up etc, does this put me higher or lower on the morality scale?

If a qualified leader were to tell the public not to bother wearing masks, because unknowingly to the public, there was a shortage and some health care workers were more at risk at work, would that leader have the moral high ground? What if just one citizen died, because they thought it made sense to wear a mask, but took that professional leaders advice/opinion not to instead, contracting the illness by inhaling it? In this situation, which happened in the US, an all lives matter equally approach could not be taken, unless the leadership wanted to leave life and death up to chance. The lock down itself led to other non covid related death. Once you've made the choice to choose what's best for everyone, you've already lost, because you will always be favoring some lives over others. That's why people need to be free to choose as much as reasonably possible.