By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

JRPGfan said:

Your right Barozi, I didn't factor in, changes in testing.
Is the US testing twice as much now, as it was say a month ago? how big a increase in testing was there?
What were positivity rates then and now, vs testing cases then and now?
maybe its not quite as bad as I imagined... and slightly milder. 

Still seems like its gonna get alot worse than currently.... so its faulty to look at todays deaths, vs daily new cases, and think "this is fine".
Its just the lag time, between infections and deaths.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/07102020/public-health-lab.html

Scroll dowm and you can see tjat testing amd positive rates jave both been increasing. 

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
JRPGfan said:

I was just saying that some people (mainly trump) like to act like the 40 million test equals 40 million people when in actuality some people have been tested numerous times.

You see that news that they no longer sending hospital data to CDC but now to HHS.
 Looks like someone might be busting out their sharpies soon on the data.

Remember if we did half as many testing then there would be even less cases and if half of that even less.  If we did no testing then it would be gone.  -stable genius

This is actually something to worry about imo.

Trust isnt super high with Trump, and its a "odd look" to change things for no apparent reason. Supposedly lied over 20,000 times publically since he became President (someone actually keeps track of lies/untruths told to the public).

Did they ever give a reason for it? because it does come off as something you could question, if their just doing so to be able to manipuate data.

This was funny at the time.
If their solution to corona virus is to just make up numbers, thats alot less funny.
Best would be if they tried harder to stop spread.

Theres increaseing data that shows immunity only lasts ~3-4 months, and you "can" infact actually get reinfected with corona virus.
Herd immunity doesnt look like its gonna work, it could be a endless cycle with reinfections.

Banking hard on the vaccine, shouldn't be your "only hope", but instead a last resort kinda deal.

JRPGfan said:
sethnintendo said:

I was just saying that some people (mainly trump) like to act like the 40 million test equals 40 million people when in actuality some people have been tested numerous times.

You see that news that they no longer sending hospital data to CDC but now to HHS.
 Looks like someone might be busting out their sharpies soon on the data.

Remember if we did half as many testing then there would be even less cases and if half of that even less.  If we did no testing then it would be gone.  -stable genius

This is actually something to worry about imo.

Trust isnt super high with Trump, and its a "odd look" to change things for no apparent reason. Supposedly lied over 20,000 times publically since he became President (someone actually keeps track of lies/untruths told to the public).

Did they ever give a reason for it? because it does come off as something you could question, if their just doing so to be able to manipuate data.

This was funny at the time.
If their solution to corona virus is to just make up numbers, thats alot less funny.
Best would be if they tried harder to stop spread.

Theres increaseing data that shows immunity only lasts ~3-4 months, and you "can" infact actually get reinfected with corona virus.
Herd immunity doesnt look like its gonna work, it could be a endless cycle with reinfections.

Banking hard on the vaccine, shouldn't be your "only hope", but instead a last resort kinda deal.

Well reason for reinfection might because virus is mutating.  I believe there are a few strains already.  I know the one that mutated in Europe is what caused explosion in places like NY.  We all know they mutate but even with mutation you would hope the bodies second encounter would go better then the first.  Only time will tell. 

I'm doing my part by wearing mask (mandatory in TX with counties over threshold which I'm definitely in one) and mainly just staying home or outside.  I didn't wear mask at first but hardly went anywhere besides gas station.  Have been wearing one for past month or so since order came in from Gov Abbott.  

What screwed us here in TX is opening of bars.   Bars are pretty much the main cause of spike because everyone crowds in and no one wears masks.  Alcohol makes people care less also. Maybe bars should all go out of business for a year or two.  I don't care myself except for pool halls (which are pretty much bars but have tons of pool tables).   Playing pool is about only thing I miss from bar scene and I can live without that.   Restaurants probably contributed too but not as much as bars.

The number of Corona cases in the US are going to plummet soon..

Coronavirus hospital data will now be sent to Trump administration instead of CDC.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Naum said:
The number of Corona cases in the US are going to plummet soon..

Coronavirus hospital data will now be sent to Trump administration instead of CDC.

The sad part about this would be that Trump supports would say "we knew the numbers are much lower, it was a hoax" instead of questioning the lower numbers and asking how the Trump administration can "play" with the life of people.

Around the Network

Some British and German party people ignored the mask requirement on Mallorca.
Now the party strips are closed again. Sucks for everyone who is currently on the island.

https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2020/07/15/magaluf-and-palma-party-strips-to-be-shut-down-on-spains-mallorca-over-covid-19-fears-as-100-police-officers-drafted-in/

Notice how the countries that have the worst leaders such as USA, Brazil and Russia have the worst outbreaks. Must be some kind of correlation or karma.

Barozi said:
Some British and German party people ignored the mask requirement on Mallorca.
Now the party strips are closed again. Sucks for everyone who is currently on the island.

https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2020/07/15/magaluf-and-palma-party-strips-to-be-shut-down-on-spains-mallorca-over-covid-19-fears-as-100-police-officers-drafted-in/

Totally didn't see that coming. I thought the "Ballermann crowd" would be very responsible.

sethnintendo said:
Notice how the countries that have the worst leaders such as USA, Brazil and Russia have the worst outbreaks. Must be some kind of correlation or karma.

Don't forget UK, they're all headed by some right wing nutjobs. Turns out you can't impress a virus with ignoring facts and lying all the time.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Barozi said:

2,339 positive cases (-15.7%) with 494k tests (+8.3%).

On average there were 334 positive cases a day (or 390 if you discard Sunday).

292 in ICU (-11.2%)

Best week yet! Finally managed to get a decent increase in testing capacity. Previous weeks averaged between 320k and 400k.
Positivity rate dropped to 0.6%.
10 out of 16 states reported less than 10 cases a day.
Things are looking pretty good at the moment.

2,237 positive cases (-4.4%) with 503k tests (+1.8%).

On average there were 320 positive cases a day (or 373 if you discard Sunday).

248 in ICU (-15.1%)

Doing baby steps at the moment but at least it's not getting worse. Best news is the 15% decrease of people in ICU.
One state seems to be completely free of corona cases. They didn't have a single case for over a week already.