By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

SvennoJ said:
Immersiveunreality said:

I do not know how insensitive it sounds but out of compassion i can find more peace with a person passing away after beaten ''braindead''(it is kinda a srange term) instead of those that go years and years of possible feeling trapped in their own bodies before eventually dying.

Colleague of mine had a horrible accident and had about the same,not able to move anything and no chance to recover so trapped in his own prison with possible much pain and i pray not.

I feel the same way and was relieved for my mom and dad when she finally passed. She was stuck in a home for 5 years with advanced Alzheimers, didn't know who she was anymore, didn't recognize me anymore for at least a year before she had to go in a home (violent outbursts, walking away, not being able to take care of herself nor letting my dad care for her) and could only sit in a wheelchair for the last 3 years having to be fed.

The only consolation was that hopefully her consciousness had actually gone long ago and just the body kept going. Her ability to speak was also gone yet before that the moments of coherent sentences were already far in between. (Random bits of early / mixed up memories was the last comprehensible speech)

I also pray to be spared that kind of ending for anyone. So no, that does not sound insensitive at all. The stories about Covid19 patients trapped on Ventilators for weeks on end bring up a lot of emotions. At least they put most in a medical coma and don't remember the worst.

I can relate a bit with having to deal with alzheimer in the family but not to that extend,my grandgrandmother who learned me to play carts and used to tell stories about the war got it and now her son who is my granddad got it too so i'm worried that my mother will suffer the same and that is always in the back of my mind but if it happens when the time comes i will do anything to provide her the most comfort(how little that is) she can get in that state.

Bolded: Yes,and before that when she forgot who you were you can also keep in mind that she does not neccesarilly forgot the whole of you but just the current form of you at that time.In her mind she could have had memories of a younger you or even a baby or from when she was pregnant of you and because of that there is a good possibility you kept being in her heart till the end.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Chicho said:

This quote from your post explains it "Okinawa is home to more than half of about 50,000 American troops based in Japan under a bilateral security pact"

Yes, but why is that still in effect.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

You're familiar with politics, so you already know why.
As a Japanese, I want them to leave.

And Trump wants you to pay for them being there
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/06/22/national/us-donald-trump-japan-troops-john-bolton/

U.S. President Donald Trump has demanded that Japan pay $8 billion per year for costs associated with hosting American troops — or risk their withdrawal — former national security adviser John Bolton has alleged in his new memoir.

The demand, the hawkish former top security official wrote, was part of a negotiating strategy he said Trump had termed “cost plus 50 percent” — the amount that the U.S. would seek from allies where it had troops stationed.

Trump, Bolton wrote, said the best way to get allies like Japan and South Korea to pay the substantial increases, “was to threaten to withdraw all U.S. forces.”

Why not say, pack up and leave!

Is the Japanese government that worried about North Korea and China that they need 50K American troops in their backyard?

I would rather invest these $8 billion more in my own military if I would be Japan. Trump basically wants all costs for these soldiers and maintenance for the equipment to be paid even though a lot of these costs would incur without having these soldiers in Japan. 

This guy and his blackmailing strategy around the world whatever it is about...ugly human being 

crissindahouse said:
SvennoJ said:

Yes, but why is that still in effect.

And Trump wants you to pay for them being there
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/06/22/national/us-donald-trump-japan-troops-john-bolton/

U.S. President Donald Trump has demanded that Japan pay $8 billion per year for costs associated with hosting American troops — or risk their withdrawal — former national security adviser John Bolton has alleged in his new memoir.

The demand, the hawkish former top security official wrote, was part of a negotiating strategy he said Trump had termed “cost plus 50 percent” — the amount that the U.S. would seek from allies where it had troops stationed.

Trump, Bolton wrote, said the best way to get allies like Japan and South Korea to pay the substantial increases, “was to threaten to withdraw all U.S. forces.”

Why not say, pack up and leave!

Is the Japanese government that worried about North Korea and China that they need 50K American troops in their backyard?

I would rather invest these $8 billion more in my own military if I would be Japan. Trump basically wants all costs for these soldiers and maintenance for the equipment to be paid even though a lot of these costs would incur without having these soldiers in Japan. 

This guy and his blackmailing strategy around the world whatever it is about...ugly human being 

$8bn would be almost 20% of the Japanese military budget. Not insignificant.

Ka-pi96 said:
crissindahouse said:

That probably wouldn't go well.

There were protests last time the government tried to change the constitution regarding the military. Plus I'm sure China & both Koreas wouldn't be happy either. So you'd just piss off your neighbours and your own people all at once.

Agreed with the point about the own population but the other countries could fuck off. Japan is spending far less on military (in relation to GDP) than those countries, even with $8bn more.

Wanted to say something here today. There was this lady in front of me in the check-out line not long ago and another lady asked her why she didn't wear a mask. The first lady answered "Because the president doesn't want me to and I'd look like a Democrat." I thought about telling her to go jump off a bridge if she had a death wish rather than taking other people with her, but I narrowly resisted. Selfish selfish selfish selfish selfish selfish selfish selfish STUPID fucking people like that!

Just pointing out that our level of political partisanship in this country comes with a death toll. We have GOT to stop thinking of every...single...goddamn thing in terms of ideologies and party alignments or it will literally kill us! And I don't just mean the irresponsible people.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
crissindahouse said:

That probably wouldn't go well.

There were protests last time the government tried to change the constitution regarding the military. Plus I'm sure China & both Koreas wouldn't be happy either. So you'd just piss off your neighbours and your own people all at once.

i'm not saying they have to invest that money but I would rather do that instead of giving it the USA. Not sure why China or the own population should be more ok with American soldiers in Japan paid with $8 billion a year instead of some more and better equipped Japanese soldiers. 

15,300+ cases in Flordia today (in the weekend, on a sunday).
NYC had 11k cases when it was at its peak.

What happends 2-3 weeks from now? This is gonna cost so many lives.

Florida is still going about its reopening right?
Disney World opened like a day or two ago?... still no mandate to wear masks, nothings being shut down? schools are still soon opening?

Herd immunity here we (florida) come!

*edit: cases are usually lower on weekends.
oh yes, 4 weeks from now theres GOP convention in florida right? thats gonna go down well.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 12 July 2020

Lousiana is right behind NY anf NJ when it comes to the number of cases per capital and their cases keep increasing at higher ratrd than in March and April.

Immersiveunreality said:

I can relate a bit with having to deal with alzheimer in the family but not to that extend,my grandgrandmother who learned me to play carts and used to tell stories about the war got it and now her son who is my granddad got it too so i'm worried that my mother will suffer the same and that is always in the back of my mind but if it happens when the time comes i will do anything to provide her the most comfort(how little that is) she can get in that state.

Bolded: Yes,and before that when she forgot who you were you can also keep in mind that she does not neccesarilly forgot the whole of you but just the current form of you at that time.In her mind she could have had memories of a younger you or even a baby or from when she was pregnant of you and because of that there is a good possibility you kept being in her heart till the end.

It all happens gradually as if someone with Alzheimers regresses in age (mentally) until self awareness is lost. First she wouldn't believe the current versions of me and my sister were real and was adamant that we were playing tricks on her. She firmly believed we were still kids. Then later she forgot about having kids at all, then forgot about being married, then meeting my dad and all that was left was an persistent urge to go back to her birth home and asking for her (long ago deceased) mother. It doesn't happen as linearly as that, jumps back and forth in time with moments of clarity, yet in general memories disappear backwards.

Having kids myself it was interesting to see how consciousness develops. Not until 4 to 6 months after being born do babies actually recognize you. That's when they start to 'make strange'. Self awareness comes much later. Then memory still evolves to a point where early memories become incompatible with your adult brain and your earliest memories won't go further back than age 4 or later. So would there be any consciousness left without memory?

The only 'positive' (if you can call it that) of this disease is that you have plenty time to adjust and make peace. It's not sudden, the signs were there 10 years before it became a real debilitating issue. The last time my dad took my mom over to visit she still recognized me, yet no longer recognized my kids, and she didn't know she was in a different country the whole time they stayed here. Then later over the phone she assumed I was her brother talking on the phone, not really knowing who I was anymore.

I felt more sorry for my dad in the end. He actually bought a house next to the car home, moved to a different town to visit and help every day. Caring for my mother became his life even though she didn't really recognize him. However there was still some familiarity from seeing him every day.

Good luck with your mother, hopefully she gets spared this painful fate.

jason1637 said:
Lousiana is right behind NY anf NJ when it comes to the number of cases per capital and their cases keep increasing at higher ratrd than in March and April.

It's not looking good anywhere in the states

Daily reported cases are rising in 46 places, only declining in the top right.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/16/816707182/map-tracking-the-spread-of-the-coronavirus-in-the-u-s

Without going into lock down like NY did, who knows where this will end up.