By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

EricHiggin said:

A logistics thing? A treatment thing? An income thing? An economy thing? What about the people's health and lives?

Yes it's a logistics thing. - If you are unaware of what logistics is, I am more than happy to educate you on the topic.

We don't test the entire country for COVID-19 all at once do we?

EricHiggin said:

Ok, but why aren't the driving public forced to refrain from driving other than for 'essential' transportation during large/widespread recalls? We all know why, so why isn't that why covid 19 was handled? We're still talking about every last individual's health and potential death vs their freedom, so..

They are forced to refrain from driving unless it's "essential".
And the same thing exists in countries that have actually handled COVID-19 well, essential workers only.

EricHiggin said:

If you have a competent parent/guardian, they shouldn't always get involved and shouldn't coddle you until their death. When they do, you typically end up with wet noodles instead of sharp swords.

People are stupid. The United States lack of appropriate action in curbing the spread of COVID-19 is absolutely evident of that.

Allowing people "free reign" has done fuck all... Clearly it doesn't work... And clearly the Government needs to employ some direction and actual leadership and stop being an absolute joke on the world stage.

EricHiggin said:

Now for those who are unhealthy and need to 'coddle' themselves or be 'coddled' in a situation like this, by all means, do so however you need to, just don't force everyone else to have to do the same.

And that is selfish free-for-all mentality that gets people killed. Good job. You are part of the problem, you lack empathy for other people.

EricHiggin said:

Did you need to give up that freedom? Did it have to be for that long? Did you potentially contract it and infect someone else anyway? Would you have infected someone else or contracted it if you had kept those freedoms? If that choice was yours and you happily made it, then that's on you. If you were forced to do it, then you didn't choose it and weren't free to either.

I protect life, property and the environment.

I run into burning buildings with 300'C/600'F temperatures while other people run out.
I scale down cliffs on a couple of pieces of rope to pluck someone who has fallen down.
I head out to sea with 8-10 meter/26-32 feet swirl to pluck someone from a sinking boat.

I am not adverse to making myself uncomfortable to protect another individual.
I am not against giving up a little of my time to ensure that someone is safe and healthy.

And by giving up some of my "freedom" and staying in lockdown for a few weeks, I have ensured that other people are safe and healthy and can continue their much enjoyed freedoms at a later date when lockdown is lifted.

Everyone is in this together. Don't be selfish, I literally got the moral high ground on this one Eric.

EricHiggin said:

So why weren't people informed about covid 19 and then allowed to make their own decisions based on that information? If people can still choose to drive and potentially get killed anyway, or kill others, why didn't the same apply for the illness?

Why weren't people informed? Incompetent leadership. Elect better leaders.
People were informed and educated constantly during the entire COVID phases here, we defeated the virus.

EricHiggin said:

Even worse, if you drive your recalled vehicle and unintentionally kill someone you're almost certainly going to pay for it dearly, and yet if you broke the lock down rules and unintentionally infected someone with covid 19, eventually killing them, you're likely to get off scot free. 

Correct. You drive a vehicle which is "at risk" then you will have additional consequences if you kill someone.
If you have COVID 19 and go around ignoring social distancing, lock-downs and so forth... Then you are obviously a selfish individual with no care about the health and safety of your country and it's people.

EricHiggin said:

So being a first responder, I'd think you'd agree that when there are potential deadly vehicle recalls, that only 'essential' transportation should be allowed, correct? So people who's work wasn't deemed essential wouldn't be able to drive to their job for the good of everyone.

You are only looking at it from a binary perspective.

Basically there are alternatives which ensures safety can be retained... Such as a loan vehicle, look at the other options, weigh the risks and hazards which is generally outlined in all hazards approach to incident management.

EricHiggin said:

Fauci wasn't chosen by the people. Is that representational democracy?

Fauci told the public they shouldn't and didn't need to wear masks at first. Was that up to date info backed by science?

I'll be honest. I had to google who the hell that was. - But he isn't an elected official, he is a source of "information" for your elected government.

If your government is only sourcing information directly from one person, then it's not from the scientific community and chances are, not backed by the scientific method... And thus a potential bad source.

We didn't wear masks in Australia and New Zealand for the most part, those who were more at risk or actually had COVID-19 did wear them, however... People weren't ignoring basic hygiene, we went into lock down, people conformed to social distancing... And that is why it was unnecessary.

The USA having pretty much thrown all that out the window... Needs them if it wants to "operate as normal" whilst minimizing the risk to the general populace.

EricHiggin said:

How many people are said to have beaten cancer, only for it to recur? Could covid 19 end up like the Spanish Flu? That was said to be quite possible by the MSM and their reputable sources who 'advertised' it everywhere.

Cancer isn't COVID-19.
Spanish Flu isn't COVID-19.

You are delving into logical fallacies now by attempting to draw false comparisons, which means you don't have an argument.

The media in the USA is also not the media here, so I cannot speak to the accuracy of the media in the United States, for or against, it's irrelevant anyway, the President has his own conferences and can inform the public and set appropriate policy.

EricHiggin said:

One selfish driver could injure/kill 100 people in a pile up, yet we let drivers decide themselves without forcing them.

And that one driver would likely face some serious punishment for doing so.

If you drive a car and you do not maintain it appropriately or use it's appropriate safety features such as a seatbelt in an appropriate manner, you are liable for prosecution.

So by your logic, those who do not wear masks and try to curb the spread of COVID-19 should probably be prosecuted, which I am fully supportive of if it saves lives. - Maybe then people will learn to think about their neighbor instead of being selfish.

EricHiggin said:

Start winning? Very nice jab. Very nice.

That is because I am a winner in life.

EricHiggin said:

How do we know wild fires, hurricanes, etc, could, or are going to happen, and where they may happen or spread? Prediction? How do citizens choose their leaders who will make the decisions? Prediction?

You don't know they are going to happen. But you PLAN in the event they do happen.

It's part of PPRR and emergency management and all hazards approach, it's absolutely basic stuff.

EricHiggin said:

Again, to say the illness has been beaten is at the very least being unreasonably optimistic. How long before borders are opened and the spread continues?

Borders are opened to all states and countries that have defeated the virus.

Restrictions were lifted here 2 months ago. Still no cases.

How much time do you think we should give it? Again. We are winners.

EricHiggin said:

The numbers as they are may show that, questionable or not, and that's only looking at the here and now, but could places like the US be doing better at saving more lives in other non covid related ways? Every last life matters no matter how it's being saved I'd think.

You have definitely had more lives lost, that's for sure. It's a running world-wide joke at this point if it wasn't so blatantly disgusting and sad to see and hear.

EricHiggin said:

The world isn't black and white. That should be extremely clear as of recent events. Depends on what you deem successful. When the MSM narrative is USA bad, period, is it even possible that they've done anything good at all?

The American Mainstream Media doesn't exist here... And we still know your response to COVID 19 was the incorrect one, you can't really use that excuse with me I am afraid.
The Mainstream Media isn't your elected officials, they made the shit decisions.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Barozi said:
Chicho said:

Chayote is used through out all of Latin America thought it may be called different names in some places. It is eaten raw on salads or cooked. They always have it in supermarkets here in Florida too. It is a fruit but there might be a few people who think of it as a veggie.

Never seen them in Europe.

According to Wikipedia it's indeed a vegetable and related to pumpkins.

You don't have those in Germany? We had these in little Luxembourg for a while now. Not quite my taste, though.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Barozi said:

You don't have those in Germany? We had these in little Luxembourg for a while now. Not quite my taste, though.

Never seen them in Luxembourg because petrol stations usually aren't that well stocked with these kind of items ;)

But no I've never seen them in Germany either though to be fair I'm not spending much time in these sections (other than quickly grabbing some onions). I'm very sure though that our discounters like Aldi, Lidl, Netto, Penny etc. don't have them.

Pemalite said:

One person with the virus being selfish and ignorant could infect 100 other people in a day by not conforming to social distancing, hygiene and sanitation and staying home... And those people go on to infect more people.

EricHiggin said:

One selfish driver could injure/kill 100 people in a pile up, yet we let drivers decide themselves without forcing them.

Are those 100 injured/killed people also driving cars into other people directly after that?

Woke up to stimulus money. Dunno why it took sonlong but at least i got it.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Barozi said:

Seasoning/right cooking time is key,well yeah as long as you can mildly taste the different flavours of all the ingredients.

Also depends on the diet you're on,from my own experience the more healthier i eat the more i begin to dislike the taste of unhealthy fatty snacks and like the taste of plain vegetables as it looks like their flavour strenghtens depending on eatingstyle.

Probably has to do with combination of brain longing for different nutrients/endorfine release and also a bit with the tastebuds themselves.

JRPGfan said:

Most of europe has this system.
In denmark its a 10/20 dkkr coin, you put it into the cart, and the locking mechanism unlocks it from the rest of the carts.
Then when you leave the shop, you yourself, take the cart back to the line, push it into the line, and lock it again (with the chain) and the coin drops back out.

Its a small incentive, to have people do the right thing, and its highly effective.
Its like this is the rest of europe too (just with say a euro coin).

You'll probably be shocked to hear that we dont have someone to pack our bought foods either, or carry them for us, to the cars.
Its expected you do that yourself. To me, it would be odd, if I suddenly found someone packing my bought items into a bag and offering to carry them out for me.

We have the same thing with bottles of vine, and soda cans.
"pant" is like this small extra cost put on these items, to encurage people to do the right thing. 
Instead of throwing them around, or into crash bins, you can return them at supermarkets, and get money back from returning them.

Why does this matter? well they can then recyle them, and as a upside we pollute abit less with such items.
(seriously broken bottles and soda cans, dont need to be laying around anywhere. Return them and recycle them.)

Its also becomeing more and more common, that you dont use a plastic bag when you go shopping.
You bring your own bag, thats a reuseable and durable type.

Im not sure if its like that in the USA is it? I have this idea from TV shows that tons and tons of plastic bags are used.

*edit:

About the fruit, I honestly dont reconise it.
However Im not surprised its from Aldi. 
Aldi sometimes do these things like "mexico week" and you ll find a section of the store dedicated to say "mexican food items" and fruits ect.
You might even find some recipes nearby that encurage you to try eating something mexican.

I think it's only a US thing to have a separate bagger / carry out to car service. I live in Canada and while stores like Walmart will put it into plastic bags for you at the register, it's not a separate person. The supermarket I go to only offers to sell you plastic bags if you don't bring your own bags and will only assist the elderly when needed. I rather pack it myself anyway, might as well pre sort it for faster putting away at home.

Only beer, wine and liquor bottles are recycled here at the stores (which are government licensed separate stores, only sold with ID) The rest goes in the blue bin and gets sorted out at the recycling center. Milk comes in sets of 3 x 1L plastic bags here that you put in a plastic container.

Still bad for the environment, the plastic goes in the regular garbage. When I lived in the Netherlands they had a barter system with durable clear plastic milk bottles that you brought back to the store for re-use. It looks like they went back to milk cartons and non re-use plastic bottles, can't find a picture.

I do prefer the recycling rules here. It was always a question what went where in the Netherlands. Here it's simply, everything with the recycling logo on the package goes in the blue bin, gets sorted out at the recycling center. But most still ends up in the landfill bleh. FACT: About 86 per cent of Canada's plastic waste ends up in landfill, while a meager nine per cent is recycled. The rest is burned to create energy, which causes emission problems, or the plastic enters the environment as litter.

Anyway plastic bags were on the outs before the pandemic hit. Then everyone panicked that bringing your own bags would spread the virus so stores started providing tons of plastic bags again. Luckily your own bags are allowed again currently, however the cupboard we had with plastic bags (to re-use as garbage bags in the bathroom) which was almost empty, now hardly closes again ugh. Set for another 10+ years of garbage liners lol.

Not only supermarkets started using tons of plastic again
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/28/coronavirus-plastic-waste-surges-as-restaurants-use-more-disposable-packaging.html

https://www.thestar.com/business/2020/06/22/the-other-pandemic-a-resurgence-in-single-use-plastic-and-plastic-waste-during-covid-19.html

The coronavirus has produced another sort of outbreak: a global resurgence in single-use plastic and a torrent of mostly unrecyclable personal protective equipment littering city streets, clogging sewage pipes, even turning up deep below the waves.

“This is only the beginning,” said a spokesperson for Opération Mer Propre (Operation Clean Sea), a French environmental NGO that collected nine surgical face masks and 14 latex gloves during a recent dive to the Mediterranean seabed around the resort town of Antibes. “If nothing changes, it will become a real ecological disaster if not a sanitary one,” the group said on Facebook where images of the debris were posted last month.

The plans to completely ban plastic bags at supermarkets in parts of the country have been abandoned for now.

JRPGfan said:

SvennoJ move to europe, and you can still use the "old ways" without getting funny looks.
Like why wouldn't you use the cart to take things to your own car? obviously if you buy alot, its sensible to do so (or if your older or weaker).

Why would you just leave the cart there next to the car? its selfish and bound to annouy the next person that goes shopping, and wants to park around there? Or do the expect someone at the shop to go around rounding up carts constantly? and makeing sure they arn't a danger? Honestly its not like people cant take 1 minuet to bring back a cart, every other day or so when they go shopping. The stealing of carts.... is that common? what the hell does the avg person want with a shopping cart? Like.... I dont see the point.

Seriously move to denmark :) We are like one of the biggest cycling nations in the world.
Its quite common in bigger cities, you dont even own a car, you just cycle where you need, or walk if not to far (or use public transportation).
Simply because parking is such a issue, its often faster on a bike. If you live outsides the cities, almost everyone cycles (atleast the kids to school and such).

I came from Europe, hence the funny looks and getting cursed out on the road for cycling like I'm going through traffic in Amsterdam :) Compared to The Netherlands it's still the wild west here when it comes to 'rules' for cycling on the road. It's a huge grey area and bicycle lanes are very inconsistent to nonexistent. (Plus traffic lights for cyclist, never seen them here. Construction, no detours posted for bicycles)

Everyone does use the carts to bring the stuff (in bags) to the car. Some people are just lazy and leave the cart on the parking lot. Then probably get just as mad when they run into an abandoned shopping cart with their car...

Stealing carts is not common here. Nearly everyone uses a car to do groceries after all. It was common in Amsterdam. Students and others taking the carts home, and you often saw carts that had ended up in ponds and canals.

Seems it's still a problem

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=https://www.abax.com/nl/blog/is-het-oke-om-winkelwagentjes-mee-naar-huis-te-nemen&prev=search&pto=aue
Supermarkets / hardware stores still lose five million euros annually because approximately 20 thousand shopping carts disappear each year. An average shopping cart costs around Euro 250, -

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=https://nos.nl/l/2298347&prev=search&pto=aue
It is a persistent phenomenon: shopping carts and baskets that disappear from the supermarket. Every year thousands of copies are 'borrowed' or actually just stolen. Much to the chagrin of supermarkets. It leads to millions of euros in extra expenses.

I do prefer living here, much more room, never any trouble parking and once you get away from the busy streets, perfect cycling. I can cycle for 80 to 120km here and hardly see anyone along the way. In the Netherlands it was constant stop and go, weave through tons of cyclist and pedestrians while dodging mopeds. Any slightly nice day and it was slow going, bicycle traffic jams... Here you can also leave your bike unlocked to pop in a store and never any trouble to find a spot to place it. I have a trailer which I used to take the kids cycling (they're too big now) but it's still fine to get pool supplies for example. 40kg of salt and 20L of chlorine, chemical load coming down hill lol.

No more of this!

This is my downtown nowadays :)

We actually didn't own a car until 2006. We lived in Brantford until then, across the street from a 24h supermarket. Then we got an electric hybrid and quickly found out that sucks in the cold winters here. Takes forever to warm up and is hardly more efficient in the cold. We drove it for 4 years and didn't really break even for the extra cost vs lower fuel consumption. The small trunk space (due to battery) was a pita as well. So when we got kids we switched to a SUV, 9 liters per 100 km. Much worse than the hybrid (which could do 4.5/100 in summer, but up to 7 or 8 in winter). Happy wife, lots of room to put plants in (gardener) We don't drive much, we'll stick to gas for now.

Having a garage helps the environment as well. A lot of people around here have remote starters and have their car idle for 10 minutes in winter to thaw out the car before they leave... Then you have lawnmower pollution. The EPA estimates that hour-for-hour, gasoline powered lawn mowers produce 11 times as much pollution as a new car. According to the EPA, each gas-powered lawn mower produces as much air pollution as 43 new automobiles driven 12,000 per year – lawn care produces 13 billion pounds of toxic pollutants per year.
The world needs better battery tech. The heavy batteries for edge trimmers hardly last 10 minutes, then 12 hours to charge again. Electric lawnmowers aren't popular either. Properties are so big you would need very long extension cords which you can run over or decapitate plants with :/ I used a push mower at our previous place, it sucked. Canadian weeds are too tough lol. Anyway no need to mow now due to the long heat and no rain. Grass is all yellow.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 10 July 2020

Back to the numbers. Europe is still declining, however slightly less each week. The current 3-day average week over week change is 96.2%, a week ago that was 94.8%. Not much of a change, pretty steady overall.

3-day average reported cases

Norway, Denmark and Ireland are pretty much off the chart. Very low numbers each day.
Switzerland and Austria are still heading up a bit and have swapped places with Belgium and the Netherlands.
Poland still on the same level while Germany is recovering from their latest outbreak.
Italy, Spain and France seem to have lost their downward momentum.
The Ukraine might have peaked now, heading downwards.
The UK is still going well despite a little uptick at the end.
Sweden's reporting is getting worse and worse, last update was July 2nd.
Russia ever so slowly declining.

3 day average reported deaths

It looks like Belgium and The Netherlands will soon hit the bottom.
Spain went up a little last week, still tracking lower than expected after all the changes made to their reporting/counting.
The Ukraine hasn't peaked yet in reported deaths, probably seeing the effects of their recent resurgence in cases.
Russia, despite under counting, is firmly leading the pack.

It's now been more than 19 weeks since Italy started charting...

Barozi said:
Chicho said:

A chayote is a fruit, Pumpkins are also fruits not vegetables.

I've done a little more research on it and there is no definite answer to that question.

Pumpkins (and tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplants, peppers etc.) are pretty much fruit-vegetable hybrids.

Tomatoes, etc are fruits, some people think of them as vegetables and that's ok.

Flordia had more than +11,433 cases today so far....

a month ago florida had, had 50,000 cases total.
now barely a month lateron, and its over 240,000 cases.

They wont even mandate you have to wear masks.... its still optional in florida right?