By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Chicho said:
Barozi said:

I've done a little more research on it and there is no definite answer to that question.

Pumpkins (and tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplants, peppers etc.) are pretty much fruit-vegetable hybrids.

Tomatoes, etc are fruits, some people think of them as vegetables and that's ok.

Yeah the general public will mostly agree that tomatoes, cucumbers, ect are vegatables.
I think most would call peppers a fruit though.

In danish we even call them pepper-fruits (when we say pepper, we generally refer to the peppercorns in the salt/pepper shakers, type pepper).

Around the Network

Anyone here in Africa? Cases look to be getting out of hand in that region of the world.

Same thing happened in NY in April but NY was on lockdown while Arizona isn't with a ~30% positivity rate.

trunkswd said:
With so many states seeing huge increases in confirmed cases, how many of them have gone back under lockdown?

Zero. 

Most states have just made masks mandatory or shut down indoor dining 

JRPGfan said:
Chicho said:

Tomatoes, etc are fruits, some people think of them as vegetables and that's ok.

Yeah the general public will mostly agree that tomatoes, cucumbers, ect are vegatables.
I think most would call peppers a fruit though.

In danish we even call them pepper-fruits (when we say pepper, we generally refer to the peppercorns in the salt/pepper shakers, type pepper).

There's an easy way to find out whether it's a fruit or vegetable. If kids won't eat it, it's a vegetable :)

Peppers are called Paprika in the Netherlands. That name is only used here for peppers in powder form. It's mainly Bell peppers in green, red, yellow and orange that get grown / sold here. There are many different kinds of peppers. And yup ground peppercorns is also called pepper here.

Hmm getting hungry again lol.

I'm not in Africa but have been tracking them as well. Africa (the continent) has been growing the fastest for over a month now. They were still low so only now becoming really visible between the giants. Their growth sits at around +30% per week (130% week over week difference)

Last week Africa passed Europe in daily reported cases, currently at some 17K per day (Europe down to 13K per day).
Africa passed the half million reported cases last Monday and sits at 12,500 total deaths (about 250 per day)

South Africa is far ahead with exponential growth, 141% week over week change, 1.051x daily growth factor, at avg 10K daily atm, big spike yesterday.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7156662/south-africa-coronavirus-cases-surge/
The coronavirus pandemic in Africa is reaching “full speed” and it’s good to prepare for the worst-case scenario, the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention chief said Thursday, after a South African official said a single province is preparing 1.5 million gravesites.

Egypt is in second but is arresting people that don't want to go along with the recent direction change in reported numbers.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/egypt-critics-coronavirus-1.5638627
So I have my question marks with their recent sudden recovery.

Reporting is pretty spotty in Africa in general, as well as testing I assume.

This just in
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/wires/afp/article-8510787/Iraqi-MP-dies-COVID-19-cases-jump-600.html

Iraq is currently in 5th in Asia with 2,300 daily cases (and increasing)

India 24K per day (Still increasing)
Saudi Arabia 3.6K per day (leveled off)
Pakistan 3.3K per day (decreasing)
Bangladesh 3.2K per day (decreasing)

Indonesia might pass Iraq soon, just had a huge spike while already steadily increasing.

Around the Network

Wrong thread title.

It's called Chinese Flu

:P

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

0D0 said:
Wrong thread title.

It's called Chinese Flu

:P

Should really be called the American flu at this point :p

Due to the large scale testing, there had been hundreds of asymptomatic cases that have been found now in Luxembourg. Right now, around 10000 tests are being made per day, so around 1.6% of the population is getting tested each (work-)day.

The problem: Since this means that cases are on the rise again, several countries consider Luxembourg now as a risky destination and block visitors from Luxembourg from entering their respective country. Those are: Denmark, Sweden, Finland, the 3 Baltic states Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia, and also Slovakia.

Sadly, normal cases were also on the rise the last couple weeks, mostly due to people celebrating the reopening with friends and family - and promptly transmitting the disease from asymptomatic carriers there. The R0 is dropping down again however, so the cases should go down soon, too.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 10 July 2020

US going full steam ahead to catch France in deaths per million. If they continue like that they'll have caught up by the end of July.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

jason1637 said:
Naum said:
One of the worst parts about this whole pandemic is that wearing a mask as become political.....I mean WTF is wrong with these people... all around the wold people are wearing them courtesy to fellow man while in an other( just 1 ) its the devils work?....

On the train today there was a huge fight today cause someone didmt like that someone wasn't wearing a mask. Then it turned into the person saying if you care about black lives you'd weat a mask and the other person was saying all live matter. 

How the F did BLM become part of the dispute?

Immersiveunreality said:
jason1637 said:

On the train today there was a huge fight today cause someone didmt like that someone wasn't wearing a mask. Then it turned into the person saying if you care about black lives you'd weat a mask and the other person was saying all live matter. 

In France a busdriver was beaten braindead because he refused to let someone on without a mask.

That's messed up. Just terrible. I hope the assailant was captured at least.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."