By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

JRPGfan said:
SvennoJ said:

Lung damage has also been observed in asymptomatic patients :/

https://www.zmescience.com/medicine/covid-19-asymptomatic-lung-damage-0523532/

One of the biggest conundrums surrounding COVID-19 is its astonishing variability of disease prognosis. Take two people of identical demographics and one of them might end up in the ICU while the other might not even have any symptoms to show. This unpredictability is what partly makes this virus extremely challenging to contain. Yet, even though COVID-19 positive cases may be asymptomatic, that doesn’t mean that organs are spared from damage ‘under the hood’.

Fact is, we simply don't know what long term effects this new disease can cause. What I'm worried about atm is the ongoing symptoms my wife has with her intestinal tract. She still has trouble keeping food in, guts cramping half the day, yet doesn't think going to see a doctor will be of any use nor safe.

Yes somewhere around 50% of asymptomatic patients also have lung scarring, and some degree is likely permanent.
These are the people that arn't even hospitalised, and have little to no symptoms, and soon recover, but even they (not all) have lunge damage.

Basically if you get covid19, theres high chances of you haveing some form of lasting damage from it.
Most of it probably minor, but its there.

That means if theres 3,000,000 confirmed cases theres likely to be 1,5million americans that are walking around with some form of scarring on their lunges now.
Now remember the CDC saying there may be 5-10 times as many actual cases, as the confirmed ones?

Potentially 15 million americans with lunge damage of some form, from covid19.

But its "just the flu, bro".
I imagine this isn't great for athletes, and sports stars... some of these people have contracts for millions, and even minor damage could hurt their performance.
They probably really dont wanna get covid19 and chance things.

You act like the lung doesn't repair itself or is very limited in doing so.  Even smokers can improve their lungs after quitting and pretty much get back to normal within a few years.  Sure there will be permanent damage but the lung can heal itself almost completely.  Maybe disease prone or people with diabetes might not be able to do as well.  Heck even alcoholics can get their liver back after just few months not drinking.

Around the Network

"So my sister has tested positive for covid. Again.

"She caught it the first time in the middle of March, fought it for weeks, and finally in the beginning of May had three successive negative tests. She works for Disneyland and has gone back to work. And on the latest round of employee tests, her swab, along with three or four of her coworkers’, came back positive. She’s getting a blood test to confirm.

I’m terrified. If the blood test comes back positive.. What does this mean? How could this happen?" - TwntyOneTwlv (resetera)

His sister got it March, and now in July (4-5 months lateron) she got it again (atleast tested positive).
Either its a new strain, or she just lost all her immunity within 5 months (or dead cells in her blood, tests picking up on).

Still of the opinion every damn country in the world, needs to get the Rt under 1, and keep it there.
Why gamble on something we arnt sure can even work?

*edit:
They asked if she was actually getting sick, and it was not just a overly sensitive test that picked up on dead cells in her blood.

His reply:  "She’s experiencing chest pain and she might have fluid in her lungs." - TwntyOneTwlv (resetera)

edit2:

"is she exhibiting symptoms?"

new reply: "100.3 fever, chest pain, fluid in her lungs, and no taste." - TwntyOneTwlv

Herd immunity is not the way.
You need to keep this virus undercontroll at all times.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 07 July 2020

melbye said:

Sure it wasn't just a mix-up with the phone number?

melbye said:

W T F? I hope this is just incompetence by the people running it, and they rang the wrong people up, because they cant keep track of people on a list, and when they show up in que to get tested.

However even if thats true, thats scarry as fack, they could be telling the wrong people who are sick and who are not, based on wrong listings of people, if they dont factor in when people leave ques ect.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
melbye said:

I call absolute bullshit on this. 

1. How the hell do they have their number?

2. Do people that make up this stuff not realize there are a lot of us out there that know how the numbers get reported?

3. Look at who is saying this.  It's a right wing news pendant who retweets hundreds of conspiracy theory posts all day long. She also has a known history of making up conversations with people that never happened.

It's pretty obvious the US is lying about their numbers. You can't trust what the US says about anything. It's all political games with them.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 07 July 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

melbye said:

If she wants to fool her followers she shouldn't make up such a nonsense. If they would fake positive cases why would they call someone to tell they are positive without test? That doesn't make any sense. They would just fake the numbers without calling people.

Or they accidentally called them because someone else got tested positive but that doesn't increase the number of positive reported tests.

Too bad her followers are probably so stupid to believe everything she says regardless of how illogical it is. 

If at all I would rather question how USA managed to reduce deaths by so much with so many new cases if you compare the numbers with early-mid April.

Last edited by crissindahouse - on 07 July 2020

New update about denmark and covid19:
17 people total hospitalised with covid.
5 people in the ICU (4 on respirators).
609 deaths in total.

~296 (confirmed) active cases of covid19 in denmark

Its still going in the right direction.
Still less than 300 active cases, in a small country of ~5.8m ppl.
The day may come were we dont have anyone hospitalised anymore, hopefully.

Testing pr million, is almost twice as high as america's.
So its not because we re under testing.

JRPGfan said:

"So my sister has tested positive for covid. Again.

"She caught it the first time in the middle of March, fought it for weeks, and finally in the beginning of May had three successive negative tests. She works for Disneyland and has gone back to work. And on the latest round of employee tests, her swab, along with three or four of her coworkers’, came back positive. She’s getting a blood test to confirm.

I’m terrified. If the blood test comes back positive.. What does this mean? How could this happen?" - TwntyOneTwlv (resetera)

His sister got it March, and now in July (4-5 months lateron) she got it again (atleast tested positive).
Either its a new strain, or she just lost all her immunity within 5 months (or dead cells in her blood, tests picking up on).

Still of the opinion every damn country in the world, needs to get the Rt under 1, and keep it there.
Why gamble on something we arnt sure can even work?

*edit:
They asked if she was actually getting sick, and it was not just a overly sensitive test that picked up on dead cells in her blood.

His reply:  "She’s experiencing chest pain and she might have fluid in her lungs." - TwntyOneTwlv (resetera)

edit2:

"is she exhibiting symptoms?"

new reply: "100.3 fever, chest pain, fluid in her lungs, and no taste." - TwntyOneTwlv

Herd immunity is not the way.
You need to keep this virus undercontroll at all times.

This is based on some random person on Twitter whose story can't be verified.  Yep seems like time to panic.  I'll wait for some more studies than listening to random people on social media.

Friction with Americans continues

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/n-s-premier-frustrated-by-travellers-who-fail-to-self-isolate-province-to-ramp-up-surveillance-1.5012482

“This case, along with a number of reports of people from outside of the Atlantic bubble coming in and not self-isolating, has sparked a lot of questions and concerns about the Canada-U.S. border and about our own border and I am as frustrated as all of you,” said McNeil during a news conference in Halifax on Monday.

“We have worked hard together and sacrificed so much in this province to help flatten the curve only to have some people come into our province who think they’re above it all, who think that the rules don’t apply to them. Guess what? They do.”

The provincial government says the man who tested positive for COVID-19 does not live in Nova Scotia. He flew in from the United States to Toronto and was cleared to board a flight to Halifax. He arrived in Nova Scotia on June 26 with the intention of travelling to Prince Edward Island.

Strang confirmed that the latest case in Nova Scotia is connected to some of the new cases reported in P.E.I. over the weekend. “Following contact tracing by Prince Edward Island, related to their new COVID-19 cases, we were notified on Saturday that one of those individuals in P.E.I. had been in close contact with someone who had recently travelled into Nova Scotia from the United States and was still here in Nova Scotia,” said Strang. “We contacted that individual on Saturday and arranged testing.” The man is now being quarantined under federal authority at a Halifax-area hotel.

Quarantine hotels seem like a good idea, however that's how Melbourne got Australia back in trouble :/

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/australia-s-second-largest-city-foils-nation-s-pandemic-success-1.5013577

Most if not all the blame is being directed at lax controls at quarantine centres set up in two Melbourne hotels. Australian citizens and permanent residents returning from overseas are required to spend 14 days in strict hotel quarantine. Genomic sequencing that identities which virus strains are circulating in specific clusters indicates the city's expanding outbreak is emerging from hotel quarantine guards and guests.

Australia's response, dunno whether that would work here:

About 3,000 residents of nine public housing high-rise buildings were given just an hour's notice at the weekend before being prohibited from leaving their apartments for at least five days. "The amount of police officers makes us feel like we're criminals," said a resident of one of the buildings, Nada Osman. "It's overwhelming. It's scary. It's like we're caged in."

Forty suburbs that are virus hot spots have been locked down by postal code since last week, with the result that businesses and households in some areas face restrictions while ones across the street from them do not.

In Nova Scotia they'll start checking daily to see if people quarantine

“Clearly some people who say that they will be self-isolating, but aren’t, and they are putting all of us at risk, and this is not acceptable,” said the premier. As a result, the province is now ramping up its surveillance of visitors who come from outside the Atlantic region.

Travellers who do not live in the Atlantic provinces will now be required to provide the address of where they will be self-isolating and a phone number where they can be reached. Starting Tuesday, a form will be available online that travellers from outside the Atlantic region must fill out and present at the border.

“There will be follow-up calls every day for 14 days. If we can’t locate them after three tries, police will be called in to do an in-person check to make sure that that person is self-isolating where they said they would be,” said McNeil. “We know we have work to do and we’re in the process of ensuring that all of those who come in outside of the Atlantic bubble will be self-isolating within our province.”

Will that be enough...