Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

You concerned yet?

Yes 88 48.62%

No, but I will be followi... 50 27.62%

No, its being overblown 43 23.76%

Total:181
Nighthawk117 said:
Eagerly awaiting Spoke's daily update. I can definitely see spikes in the numbers from Brazil, Russia, and India.

Final numbers usually come around 9 PM EST but I often check a few times hours before just to get an idea what to expect and those 3 got hit hard today. There are a few others that have spiked too.

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

Around the Network

The US can always make me laugh

https://nypost.com/2020/04/29/what-a-socially-distanced-disney-world-will-look-like-when-it-reopens/

A regional task force has laid out guidelines for the world-famous, family-friendly Orlando resort to eventually open for business after shutting down last month due to COVID-19, announcing the park would only run at 50 percent capacity with strict social distancing rules, ABC-TV reported.

The restrictions will make Main Street USA a lot less crowded and keep Mickey and friends at arm’s length from kids.

Park workers will have to wear face masks and have their temperature taken, and guests in the park’s long queues will have to stand six feet apart, according to the Orange County Economic Recovery Task Force, a 44-member board appointed to plan the county’s eventual return to normalcy.

What a wonderful time it will be. 50% capacity while standing 6 feet apart, better make those queues a lot longer lol. Sit 6 feet apart in attractions as well? Don't touch any railings! Is it April 1st again?

SpokenTruth said:
Nighthawk117 said:
Eagerly awaiting Spoke's daily update. I can definitely see spikes in the numbers from Brazil, Russia, and India.

Final numbers usually come around 9 PM EST but I often check a few times hours before just to get an idea what to expect and those 3 got hit hard today. There are a few others that have spiked too.

You da' man Spoke.  You da' man !!

Mandalore76 said:
vivster said:

You know what his point is. And in this case it doesn't really matter since there was no event in US history that caused so many deaths in such a short amount of time except for a gigantic civil war. It's notable that this event eclipses the deaths of multiple wars combined. And if you think about it, it's crazy that it can be compared to any war at all, aka the most deadly human made events in history.

You realize that influenza alone killed about 60,000 people in the US last year (more than the Vietnam War)?  So no it's not hard to compare a single virus death toll to an entire manmade conflict.

Influenza also typically infects a larger percentage of the population than what the Corona virus has thus far done... We even name entire seasons the "Flu Season" because it's a fact of seasonal life.

But... The other issue with the Flu is that... If people got vaccinated, people wouldn't die, there is a viable, proven, preventative... Obviously you will get some nutters who think that getting a Flu jab will give them Autism though.

Today marks the 9th day without any new confirmed Corona cases, more social restrictions are being removed in shopping centers and so forth.

Politicians are claiming that this is one of the safest places in the world to get away from Corona, take that as you will, they're career politicians.

There aren't many fears of a "second wave" even from medical experts as we remove restrictions because spreads would come from interstate or overseas rather than localized transmission, so I doubt we will see a similar situation here as we are now seeing in Japan. - We could fuck up big time or not, lessons will be learned either way.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

No kidding around, but I would like to take this time and extend a heartfelt thank you to SpokenTruth for providing us his charts on a daily basis.

Thank you Spoke.

Around the Network
Nighthawk117 said:

No kidding around, but I would like to take this time and extend a heartfelt thank you to SpokenTruth for providing us his charts on a daily basis.

Thank you Spoke.

Much appreciated. And let's give props to SvennoJ too.  Between our charts, we've got the historical trends covered.

Also, if anybody has suggestions on data to add/remove, changes in table structure, scope, etc....let me know.

4/30 Charts:

Very bad - UK (highest new case count in 3 weeks - now 4th in cases and 3rd in deaths), Russia (record new cases and 2nd highest deaths - will be join the death chart in 2 days), Canada (still elevated cases and record death count), Peru (increasing cases and record death count - will join the death chart in 3 days), India (increasing cases and record death count), Mexico (increasing cases and record death count - will join the cases chart next week).

Bad - US (new cases and deaths still at high levels), Brazil (new cases and deaths still at high levels).

Good - Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Turkey, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Portugal, Ecuador.

Very good -

Saudi Arabia - Same as before. Steady, daily increase in new cases. Will join the charts in 3-4 days.

Chile - Massive spike in new cases. Twice the previous high. If this is their new normal, they'll appear ont he charts in about 8 days.

So while President Trump continues to downplay the severity of the pandemic and claims the death toll isn't going to rise much higher, the Dept of Homeland Security isn't buying it.  But what they are buying is 100,000 body bags. 

A $5.1 million contract was awarded to E.M. Oil Transport on April 21st.  The explicitly stated purpose of the contract?  "THE PURPOSE OF THIS CONTRACT IS TO ACQUIRE 100,000 HUMAN REMAINS POUCHES(HRP)."

It's time we all started to realize that anything President Trump says is purely political and with his re-election in mind....not you.   Even his own administration is putting money against him.

Oh, and here's the contract.
https://www.usaspending.gov/#/award/CONT_AWD_70FB7020C00000011_7022_-NONE-_-NONE-

But we're not done.  On April 20th, FEMA (the Federal Emergency Management Administration) put out a bidding request for 200, 53' freight trailers. Which type of freight trailers? Mobile Mortuary Trailers. Per the contract, "contract for the delivery, setup, maintenance, and removal of refrigerated trailers that will be used to store human remains from either the COVID 19 and or other related deaths.  These trailers will be located throughout the United States and Territories".

Also looks like the Veterans Affairs office (contract) and other agencies are ignoring President Trump.  They have 8 body bag orders at a combined value of $12.1 million. Those are in addition to the aforementioned order by the Dept of Homeland Security.  If the rate is about same per bag as the DHS order, that's nearly 240,000 body bags.

My guess?  President Trump and several governors are playing politics with people's lives but several government agencies aren't.  They know it's probably going to get worse.  Either as a result of opening up too soon or the combined mix of SARS-CoV-2 and the seasonal flu.

SpokenTruth said:

Much appreciated. And let's give props to SvennoJ too.  Between our charts, we've got the historical trends covered.

Also, if anybody has suggestions on data to add/remove, changes in table structure, scope, etc....let me know.

Thanks, your charts are always very quick :) Easy to check numbers on.

I'll post my cyclic growth graph one more time before retiring it. The weekend mid-week trend isn't changing, human habits don't change for anything.

This shows how a 5 day average growth factor changes over time. How much it changes (amplitude) depends on the country yet as a whole Europe dances up and down the same. As a rate of change graph it isn't all that clear, plotting the 7 day average should yield a mostly smooth line, which is of course why that's used on all the news sites. Yet with this you can sort of predict how much too many (catching up) a country reports mid week and how much they miss in the weekend.

Overall it's sinking below the 1.0x line, meaning daily reported cases are declining. What isn't clear from this is that the USA is now on average outpacing Europe, the gap in creased to 4800 cases today, 26.0K added to Europe vs 30.8K added to the USA. USA is still 278K (10.75 days) behind Europe in total cases. Can't say one way or another if the USA can still pass Europe.

I'm starting to get my hopes up Canada has actually peaked. The bounce back from the weekend was much lower than last week, one more day to be sure. Ontario is also down a bit. It will be the flattest peak yet for a single country :/ 3 new cases in my own county, days since no local cases, back to zero.

SpokenTruth said:

Lots of body bags ordered..

This is not really a sign of incoming Armageddon.

I'm pretty sure every US agency has used up the body bags they had (they probably dind't have enough right from the start).

So this is in one part restocking empty storerooms/filling up more geographically diverse new storerooms and in one part preparing for more covid deaths.