Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

You concerned yet?

Yes 85 48.02%

No, but I will be followi... 50 28.25%

No, its being overblown 42 23.73%

Total:177
Barozi said:
UK finally catching up to other countries in amount of tests conducted on a daily basis.

Is that for the entire UK? I thought we were slow on testing :/ This is the current total for Ontario (population 14.6 million)

277,522 total tests (11,859 pending)
16,187 confirmed, 1,082 deceased.

Since Ontario has 22% of the population of the UK, would compare to 1,258,288 total tests for 66.7 million.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
UK finally catching up to other countries in amount of tests conducted on a daily basis.

13,000 tests pr 1m.

UK is around #54th or so when it comes to testing.

Theres more than 50 other nations, that have done more / better testing than them.

However testing by itself is kinda meaningless.
Its just a "tool" you use to get a picture of things, or to track&track so you can isolate.

Look at South Korea, a place were they basically "beat" this virus.
They have done less testing overall than the UK has (pr population), but they beat the virus.

Sometimes how you use that data is more important than just gathering it.

The worse the spread is, the more important it is though.
You need to keep a very carefull eye on Rt rates, if you want to open  the economy back up, or you risk it getting out of hand, without you even knowing about it (until its too late)

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 30 April 2020

Barozi said:

Testing is not so important, same with confirmed cases, if you do more tests you get more confirmed cases.

Look at Japan they have done great job of holding the virus back without doing many tests at all.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

SvennoJ said:
Barozi said:

Is that for the entire UK? I thought we were slow on testing :/ This is the current total for Ontario (population 14.6 million)

Since Ontario has 22% of the population of the UK, would compare to 1,258,288 total tests for 66.7 million.

Well yeah they conducted between 15k and 25k tests a day for weeks which was terribly low. I think it was 50k yesterday and 80k today so they made a huge jump. The UK also targets 100k tests a day so if they can reach that they will be one of the top performing countries in that regard. However, it would still take some time to catch up to in total numbers.

To put it in perspective, the UK was at 820k total tests yesterday and with 82k tests a day they can double the totals in only 10 days.

Brazil is now at over 85k confirmed cases overtaking China. That means China is not longer in the top ten by confirmed cases.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

Comparing epidemics to wars or natural disasters is a bit crooked. These are all different things, with different circumstances. Above there was the comparison with the 2004 Tsunami, where apparently the death toll of this epidemic has now surpassed that of the tsunami. However the death toll of the tsunami happened from one moment to the next in one area of the world instead of spread out over months and all over the world. They're not comparable. I'd rather live now with this epidemic than experience the tsunami or war, even if this virus claims a million more lives.

The comparisons aren't meant to be 1:1 direct but merely a measure against a known historical event. Same with wars.  Indirect comparisons are a common way to show contrast for historical moments.

Trumpstyle said:
Barozi said:

Testing is not so important, same with confirmed cases, if you do more tests you get more confirmed cases.

Look at Japan they have done great job of holding the virus back without doing many tests at all.

That's the most Trumpian thing you've ever posted.

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

Trumpstyle said:
Barozi said:

https://nypost.com/2020/04/30/hokkaido-hit-by-second-wave-of-coronavirus-after-ending-lockdown-early/

Yes we can look at Japan and realize we will have to shut down again.

I have had it for two weeks now. Finally got bored enough to come here.
No, the drop downs, advertisements, and poor life choices has not cured me.

quarrantine sucks. and so does spelling.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Eagerly awaiting Spoke's daily update. I can definitely see spikes in the numbers from Brazil, Russia, and India.

Barozi said:
SvennoJ said:

Well yeah they conducted between 15k and 25k tests a day for weeks which was terribly low. I think it was 50k yesterday and 80k today so they made a huge jump. The UK also targets 100k tests a day so if they can reach that they will be one of the top performing countries in that regard. However, it would still take some time to catch up to in total numbers.

To put it in perspective, the UK was at 820k total tests yesterday and with 82k tests a day they can double the totals in only 10 days.

At the start of the crisis the UK was actually testing more than nearly every other country in Europe bar Italy who already had an outbreak in the North. That all stopped when the lockdown started even though we had the capacity to ramp up.

I never understood the reasoning to stop mass testing to track and allocate resources appropriately. We obviously have the capacity. In the small lab I used to work in we could churn out thousands of PCR tests in a single day.