By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

SpokenTruth said:
Jumpin said:

It's pretty obvious the US is lying about their numbers. I don't think anyone is dumb enough to think otherwise. It's all political games over there.

Lying? No.  Ensuring absolute accuracy?  Probably not.

Nobody is fudging numbers.  That narrative is silly as hell because it's too easy to verify and get busted for all kinds of state and federal fraud violations.  Now numbers that get delayed, bulk uploaded (multiple days of tested reported at once), lost, duplicated (either accidentally uploaded twice or the same person getting multiple positive tests), false positives, false negatives, etc....  Those happen.  But political number fudgery.....no.

Dude, you talk as if the US had any kind of accountability. The narrative isn't silly, it's the US that is silly, where blatant and openly admitted fraud and corruption go unpunished.

Hell yes the US is fudging numbers, not necessarily at a national or state level, but they sure do and will continue to try their best to suppress numbers in any way possible.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
SpokenTruth said:

Lying? No.  Ensuring absolute accuracy?  Probably not.

Nobody is fudging numbers.  That narrative is silly as hell because it's too easy to verify and get busted for all kinds of state and federal fraud violations.  Now numbers that get delayed, bulk uploaded (multiple days of tested reported at once), lost, duplicated (either accidentally uploaded twice or the same person getting multiple positive tests), false positives, false negatives, etc....  Those happen.  But political number fudgery.....no.

Dude, you talk as if the US had any kind of accountability. The narrative isn't silly, it's the US that is silly, where blatant and openly admitted fraud and corruption go unpunished.

Hell yes the US is fudging numbers, not necessarily at a national or state level, but they sure do and will continue to try their best to suppress numbers in any way possible.

Indeed, remember this...
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/20/florida-scientist-dr-rebekah-jones-fired-refusing-change-covid-19-data-reopen-plan

The scientist in charge of Florida’s Covid-19 database was fired on the same day as the state opened up for business.

The controversy has parallels in Georgia, where the office of another Republican governor, Brian Kemp, was forced to apologise for presenting figures in that state’s public health database that falsely showed a downward trend in coronavirus cases.

Follow up:
https://www.npr.org/2020/06/14/876584284/fired-florida-data-scientist-launches-a-coronavirus-dashboard-of-her-own

In some ways, Jones' new portal for Florida coronavirus data looks a lot like the state health department's. But it has a few key differences that reflect just how contentious coronavirus data has become amid politicized arguments about whether it's safe for states to reopen. Case in point: Jones' dashboard has a map that shows which Florida counties are ready for the next phase of reopening. By her calculations, only two of the state's 67 counties at the moment meet the state's criteria for further easing restrictions.

Jones says she was originally tasked with building essentially the same type of dashboard for the health department's website in her role as a geographic information system manager — until it became clear what the results would show. "When I went to show them what the report card would say for each county, among other things, they asked me to delete the report card because it showed that no counties, pretty much, were ready for reopening," she says. "And they didn't want to draw attention to that."

Jones says a superior asked her to open up the data and alter the numbers so that the state's coronavirus positivity rating would change from 18% to 10% — and the state would appear to meet its target to reopen. She says she refused to do that manipulation and others she was asked to, and she was fired on May 18.

"To me, it did not read like some kind of political conspiracy or some higher directive," Jones says. "It seemed like people who expected when I brought in those results, the results to support the plan they had written, and they did not, they seemed panicked, and like they had to figure out a way to make the results match the plan."

And we all know what happened to Florida.

It probably happens here (Ontario) as well and in many other places. Following the numbers for so long sudden changes stand out. Curves suddenly becoming very smooth, or showing unnatural sustained drops after being on the level for a long time. Manipulation / changes in what counts of reported deaths, removing deaths, removing cases, moving new reports into the past (while not previously doing so to make it seem things are currently going down faster). Not that there's a directive from above to change the numbers, yet what does happen is a lot of cherry picking. Although some numbers go up, it's just a local outbreak, it was delays in reporting, but look these other numbers went down so we can go ahead with re-openings.

Most of it is incompetence, but there's also suspicious reporting going on. And then there's 'lazy' counting. Thanks to the magic healing powers of July 4th, reported deaths dropped by 50% on Saturday and the missing ones (260) haven't turned up yet.

Anyway, the reported cases are all under counted, and perhaps more now than before despite more testing. With the virus spreading more through the younger population, with less symptoms and likely also less interest in going to get tested... It's 99% harmless after all.

jason1637 said:

Now we just need Trump. I'm sorry but very few things right now would make me happier.

Around the Network

This map shows why it would be 'terrifying' to open Canada-U.S. border

This photo shows COVID-19 cases in Canada and the United States. The data on the map above is on a more localized level in the United States, which makes it appear more red, but there are an overwhelming number of cases south of the border compared to Canada. (Source: Johns Hopkins University)

New daily cases are rising in 46 places

It seems the relative success in Canada is perhaps making people too confident again
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canadians-less-likely-than-most-to-wear-masks-when-out-in-public-poll-finds-1.5013802

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/why-canadian-health-leaders-are-downplaying-concerns-about-airborne-covid-19-microdroplets-1.5014023

In response to 239 scientists warning to look out for airborne micro droplets: While some provinces may take further safety precautions, Bogoch said there is currently no risk that the virus will be contracted through airborne transmission "If someone had COVID-19, they were in a room, then they left the room and if someone just went into that room an hour later and they just stood there, they're not going to get COVID-19," Bogoch said.

However in at least one contact tracing case in a restaurant, it happened like that... (Except everyone was sitting in the same room for an hour) I just have no idea whether it would be safe for the kids (or for us) to go to school again (just before the predicted second wave will hit) without any measures against airborne transmission. Install UV-C filters on the central air systems at least.

For now still (slowly) heading in the right direction

However two new outbreaks locally at Lowes (home improvement store) and a LCBO (liquor store). Local cases up again. (just a few but who knows where else it spread) At least we're back on the level of reporting individual cases and where.

Mobility updated to July 3rd

That little wobble at the end is Canada day, July 1st.

The heat wave continues, keeping people a bit more at home currently.

jason1637 said:

Is it wrong that this kinda pleases me abit?

He kept talking about it being a "tiny flu" or a "small cold", while so many brazillians get sick and died.
When asked he replies "what do you expect me to do? I cant pull of miracles"

Maybe afterwards he gets abit of perspective, and treats other brazillians better, and starts dealing with the virus.

JRPGfan said:
jason1637 said:

Is it wrong that this kinda pleases me abit?

He kept talking about it being a "tiny flu" or a "small cold", while so many brazillians get sick and died.
When asked he replies "what do you expect me to do? I cant pull of miracles"

Maybe afterwards he gets abit of perspective, and treats other brazillians better, and starts dealing with the virus.

He won't change. He already said in live television the virus is like rain and everyone will get it and credited hydroxichloroquine with completely eliminating his (mild, non respiratory) symptoms. He also ignored social distancing near the reporters and removed his mask at the end.

Edit - of course, though, since he's had fever for just about two days, his prognosis might still change.

Jumpin said:
SpokenTruth said:

I call absolute bullshit on this. 

1. How the hell do they have their number?

2. Do people that make up this stuff not realize there are a lot of us out there that know how the numbers get reported?

3. Look at who is saying this.  It's a right wing news pendant who retweets hundreds of conspiracy theory posts all day long. She also has a known history of making up conversations with people that never happened.

It's pretty obvious the US is lying about their numbers. You can't trust what the US says about anything. It's all political games with them.

Nobody gets their results "hours later" I know people who had to wait a week and people that waited longer than a week,i think the fastest is like 3 days.

Chicho said:
Jumpin said:

It's pretty obvious the US is lying about their numbers. You can't trust what the US says about anything. It's all political games with them.

Nobody gets their results "hours later" I know people who had to wait a week and people that waited longer than a week,i think the fastest is like 3 days.

Not all tests are created equal. Some deliver results very quickly but aren't as reliable as the other ones.