By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Ontario is set to open some businesses on May 4th. So much for waiting for a consistent decline in reported cases and deaths. It says right in their published plans, a consistent 2 to 4 week decline in reported cases, we have been declining for 7 days only.

The province says the following businesses will be able to begin operating on May 4 at 12:01 a.m.:

- Garden centres and nurseries with curbside pick-up and delivery only.
- Lawn care and landscaping.
- Additional essential construction projects that include: shipping and logistics; broadband, telecommunications, and digital infrastructure; any other project that supports the improved delivery of goods and services; municipal projects; colleges and universities; child care centres; schools; and site preparation, excavation, and servicing for institutional, commercial, industrial and residential development.
- Automatic and self-serve car washes.
- Auto dealerships, open by appointment only.
- Golf courses may prepare their courses for the upcoming season, but not open to the public.
- Marinas may also begin preparations for the recreational boating season by servicing boats and other watercraft and placing boats in the water, but not open to the public. Boats and watercraft must be secured to a dock in the marina until public access is allowed.

The province also noted in its news release that it is "critical" that people continue to stay home, practise physical distancing, and only go out for essential reasons.

Ford isn't the only leader to relax rules. On Friday, Toronto Mayor John Tory suggested people can enjoy the outdoors this weekend so long as they're mindful to keep their distance from others. "I just think if people are careful and they're mindful of the two meters they can go to the park, even though I know we're supposed to be telling them to stay home," he said.

The province released a new framework for reopening Ontario earlier this week. That framework said Ontario must see a "consistent two-to-four week decrease in the number of new daily COVID-19 cases" before the government can start loosening restrictions and begin reopening the economy.

Ford echoed that sentiment Friday, saying he wants to see two weeks of "real positive results" before more restrictions are loosened.

Btw, curb-side pickup at garden centers, has already been going on for weeks, as well as at many other places. I guess the only major change is contruction being allowed to start up again. (for new projects, existing projects were already being worked on again)

Around the Network
John2290 said:
I'd swear the American media get a script every morning that is passed out across the country and have express instructions to emphasize certain buzzwords. I've been following smaller media now as well as mainstream media since this was declared a pandemic and this script, I'm certain of which exists, only gets minor changes in wording from studio to studio.

Okay, maybe it's not a script but more of a bullpoint sheet of what stories to follow. And the writers at the studios let the same langauge bleed into the scripts they write up.

You are talking about Sinclair Broadcast Group that controls a majority of local news channels in the USA right?  They are heavily pro republican and pro trump.  Did you miss that video about a year or two ago that exposed them?  They were literally all given the same script to read across all local networks...  Some actual real journalist quit their station in protest of what was obvious scripted bullshit sent down from Sinclair.  Just watch the video and perhaps you might become more enlightened.

John2290 said:

Hopefully this doesn't start an outbreak. Good sunlight, good humidity and evaporation. Could go either way. 

How can the population of any nation behave like this? Absolutely shocking. Fatalities are unlikely to drop any time soon if they keep doing these idiotic things across several states and cities.

Mummelmann said:
John2290 said:

Hopefully this doesn't start an outbreak. Good sunlight, good humidity and evaporation. Could go either way. 

How can the population of any nation behave like this? Absolutely shocking. Fatalities are unlikely to drop any time soon if they keep doing these idiotic things across several states and cities.

It's what happens when you indoctrinate children from a young age and plant false ideals of freedom and patriotism.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

John2290 said:

And the result of those protests can only be that the outbreak last longer and thus the lockdown too. Idiots like these are the reason that the lockdowns will go on longer and longer and longer in the US and everybody keeping their borders closed and travel restrictions to the US after they reopened to the rest of the world.

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:

Ka-pi96 said:

5 is under 9...

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/04/child-five-becomes-uks-youngest-victim-coronavirus-12508801/

Testing positive for CV =/= dying of CV

You didn't click on the link did you.

First line:

"A five-year-old child with underlying health conditions has died after testing positive for coronavirus, NHS England has said."

and then further down:

"Earlier this week, it was announced a six-week-old baby died of Covid-19 in Connecticut, US."

Bofferbrauer2 said:
John2290 said:

And the result of those protests can only be that the outbreak last longer and thus the lockdown too. Idiots like these are the reason that the lockdowns will go on longer and longer and longer in the US and everybody keeping their borders closed and travel restrictions to the US after they reopened to the rest of the world.

Solution, instead of water cannons, disperse the crowds with disinfectant spray cannons while pointing powerful UV lights on the crowds. ERs are currently 40% down on patients anyway, keep the nurses employed by treating chemical burns. Two flies with one stone :p

John2290 said:

A lot of people are protesting against the overextended lockdown, which is understandable to some degree, but others are doing so specifically against the beach closures, which is pathetic like you can't imagine. In what other places can you see such indignation apart from the States? 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Alberta 3 days ago

Toronto a week ago

It's only 200 and 100 people gathering, stupid nonetheless.

Riots in Paris on April 22nd

London yesterday

Berlin and Stuttgart last Saturday

Yeah, it's not as if you have half the country doing this shit at least right now. You will always have some idiots but even thousands of people doing it would only be a fraction of the population which is that stupid