By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Pemalite said:

Entering Flu season in the southern hemisphere and had to get a Flu shot as it's become law that you are not to enter into aged facilities without one... And one of my rescue response areas includes multiple aged care facilities.

Plus it reduces the risk of contracting Corona and the Flu at the same time, reducing the health impact significantly.

How so? Trump's advisors told him differently when he suggested it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-coronavirus-flu-vaccine-us-pandemic-meeting-leonard-schleifer-a9371286.html

edit - i misread. i thought you meant flu jab reduces corona risk to yourself by boosting immune system or something. Don't the old folk get the flu jab anyway?

SvennoJ said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Teenagers and kids are fine. I read that there is only a single confirmed case of someone catching it directly from another person outdoors.It's the vulnerable who need to be protected and make the biggest changes to their way of life. Nobody under 9 has died from Covid in the UK. Two have died from domestic abuse. I think the schools need to open.

Sure, almost all teenagers will be fine, but not the older people (like their parents) they get in contact with. There is no evidence that young people can't spread the virus. The fact is, that despite all the measures, the virus is still alive and well after 6 weeks. Stores, work places and adults are doing a good job at safety measures and social distancing as far as I can see, yet somewhere the virus can still find room to keep going.

It does look like Ontario is finally starting to head back down, however Quebec just had another spike

(Canada dark red, Quebec blue, Ontario green, Alberta yellow, BC bright red)
The reported deaths doesn't seem to have peaked yet either, only BC is doing well.
My local county discovered another new case, days since no infected counter still at zero.

The longer it takes, the longer before we can restart the economy, the worse the recession, the more school missed, the worse the future is for those graduating soon.

Then parents need to take precautions around their kids. If it was up to me they'd all have been sent on a 2 week long school trip with the intention of infecting them all.

Last edited by Pyro as Bill - on 01 May 2020

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Why? If you have symptoms you should be isolating regardless.

If you're a key worker then obviously knowing whether or not you can continue doing your essential job is important and that's why they had priority testing if they showed symptoms.

Everyone else can chill the fuck out and take the antibody test in 21 days which will give them a more accurate result than the covid test.

My brother just wasted a test because he was offered one and took it because he felt a bit dehydrated. It came back negative.

We need to save them so we have as many as possible available for track n trace.

And if the symptoms are bad enough that you're in hospital, don't you think it's better for the doctor's to know what they're dealing with?

Besides, for me at least, if I had a temperature above 37.5 for a day then I'd need to get a negative test before I could go back to work. Wanting to continue to get paid is a pretty good reason to get a test.

Hospital patients have always been the number one priority and they all got tested if they showed symptoms.

Tests are/were scarce. We've been able to buy a test privately for weeks now. If you're not ill in hospital or a key worker, buy your own.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:
Pemalite said:

Entering Flu season in the southern hemisphere and had to get a Flu shot as it's become law that you are not to enter into aged facilities without one... And one of my rescue response areas includes multiple aged care facilities.

Plus it reduces the risk of contracting Corona and the Flu at the same time, reducing the health impact significantly.

How so? Trump's advisors told him differently when he suggested it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-coronavirus-flu-vaccine-us-pandemic-meeting-leonard-schleifer-a9371286.html

edit - i misread. i thought you meant flu jab reduces corona risk to yourself by boosting immune system or something. Don't the old folk get the flu jab anyway?

SvennoJ said:

Sure, almost all teenagers will be fine, but not the older people (like their parents) they get in contact with. There is no evidence that young people can't spread the virus. The fact is, that despite all the measures, the virus is still alive and well after 6 weeks. Stores, work places and adults are doing a good job at safety measures and social distancing as far as I can see, yet somewhere the virus can still find room to keep going.

It does look like Ontario is finally starting to head back down, however Quebec just had another spike

(Canada dark red, Quebec blue, Ontario green, Alberta yellow, BC bright red)
The reported deaths doesn't seem to have peaked yet either, only BC is doing well.
My local county discovered another new case, days since no infected counter still at zero.

The longer it takes, the longer before we can restart the economy, the worse the recession, the more school missed, the worse the future is for those graduating soon.

Then parents need to take precautions around their kids. If it was up to me they'd all have been sent on a 2 week long school trip with the intention of infecting them all.

I'm guessing you don't have kids.

Pemalite said:
Phoenix20 said:

There is no perfect model or strategy to combat a Global Pandemic.
Comparing one country to another country is pointless.
A long recession is a huge financial cost to pay to minimise the loss of lives. The economic crisis will create a high rate of bankruptcies, huge loss of jobs and many business failures. 

Who cares. It's only money... Life is far far far more important.

John2290 said:

Not all disinfectants are dettol or bleach and yeah there is disinfectant treatments, the name of which escape me now, I was reading up on and well as UV treatments within the lungs in the past and plenty of patents to attach UV light to the end of a ventalators tube. Oddly enough, what trump was asking about had basis in reality. 

Trump needed to ask the question off screen, to an expert... Not posit the question to the entire planet that makes himself look ignorant and uneducated.

Either way... I would need some evidence to backup the assertion that injecting any disinfectant is safe... Because I would be wearing a Hazmat suit at any disinfectant spill job. Heck, even lemon juice/vinegar spill would require the use of a hazmat suit because they would be toxic in such high quantities.

We know UV can be dangerous. It is Radiation.

he didn't say ingest disinfectant - period

"And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that, so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me. So, we’ll see, but the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute. That’s pretty powerful."

Missing those three words this whole time has bothered me.  There is a great deal of wiggle room in those three words.  That said if he hadn't said that in a press conference then how do you expect him to take credit later if something is found that 'cleans' the body of the virus

I can almost hear the oaf now "That was my, idea, a really great idea, ahead of it's time, where we cleanse the body of the virus"

John2290 said:
My government have set out a 5 phase roll out plan starting on May 18th until full roll out in august if all goes well. It's slow but it seems reasonable. We might get three months in before the flu season.

What country you live in?

John2290 said:
Poor Sweden, their medical and science advisory really fucked them.

We are doing unbelievable good, Stockholm metro (2.3 million people) will achieve herd immunity this month, most part of sweden 1-2 month later. Our Previous virus dude Johan giesecke has hinted everything will be fully back to normal by the end of the summer.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
SvennoJ said:
Social distancing report for today:

In the afternoon I went out for a run and saw some people along the way. While I avoided them no problem, kids playing together unsupervised didn't seem to be from the same family, B. Teenagers fishing together, also not the same family, C. Five Teenagers in swim gear and towels at the river together, F.

I also saw 10 deer along the way, there were still empty places in the forest, but it's still more 'crowded' than it was before the crisis.

I wonder if teenagers realize that extending the crisis is only worse for them in the long run...

Teenagers and kids are fine. I read that there is only a single confirmed case of someone catching it directly from another person outdoors.It's the vulnerable who need to be protected and make the biggest changes to their way of life. Nobody under 9 has died from Covid in the UK. Two have died from domestic abuse. I think the schools need to open.

Maybe not:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/27/nhs-warns-of-rise-in-children-with-new-illness-that-may-be-linked-to-coronavirus

Pyro as Bill said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Well I assume a lot of the testing is for people that are actually sick. So in that case, yes it's still worth knowing whether it is covid19, or just a regular cold/flu.

Why? If you have symptoms you should be isolating regardless.

If you're a key worker then obviously knowing whether or not you can continue doing your essential job is important and that's why they had priority testing if they showed symptoms.

Everyone else can chill the fuck out and take the antibody test in 21 days which will give them a more accurate result than the covid test.

My brother just wasted a test because he was offered one and took it because he felt a bit dehydrated. It came back negative.

We need to save them so we have as many as possible available for track n trace.

What's the point of saving tests when you can only process a limited amount? You can save millions of tests for later but when your testing capacity is only (e.g.) 50k a day you will have a huge amount of unused testing kits at the end of the crisis.

Trumpstyle said:
John2290 said:
My government have set out a 5 phase roll out plan starting on May 18th until full roll out in august if all goes well. It's slow but it seems reasonable. We might get three months in before the flu season.

John2290 said:
Poor Sweden, their medical and science advisory really fucked them.

We are doing unbelievable good, Stockholm metro (2.3 million people) will achieve herd immunity this month, most part of sweden 1-2 month later. Our Previous virus dude Johan giesecke has hinted everything will be fully back to normal by the end of the summer.

How is this supposed to happen when the reproduction number has been below 1 for days and the antibody tests only showed that 11% of people had developed antibodies in the Stockholm area? Yeah it says "at least" 11% and it's 10 days old but come on. In order for this to work you'd need much higher numbers than this.

https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/contentassets/4b4dd8c7e15d48d2be744248794d1438/sweden-estimate-of-the-effective-reproduction-number.pdf
https://europost.eu/en/a/view/at-least-11-out-of-100-stockholm-s-residents-have-virus-antibodies-research-shows-28299

Barozi said:
Trumpstyle said:

How is this supposed to happen when the reproduction number has been below 1 for days and the antibody tests only showed that 11% of people had developed antibodies in the Stockholm area? Yeah it says "at least" 11% and it's 10 days old but come on. In order for this to work you'd need much higher numbers than this.

https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/contentassets/4b4dd8c7e15d48d2be744248794d1438/sweden-estimate-of-the-effective-reproduction-number.pdf
https://europost.eu/en/a/view/at-least-11-out-of-100-stockholm-s-residents-have-virus-antibodies-research-shows-28299

Our R number was between 2-3 in feb-march than went to 1.5 in late march/beginning april and is now less than 1, this is for entire sweden. I might post charts and pictures today or tomorrow about this to help countries what they should do.

The antibody test was 1 week old when it was published and has 70-80% accuracy when it come to positive results (it gives no false positive results). They who made the test estimate between 20-30% of stockholm had been infected when they published it. But they made some mistake with the test so they can't guarantee the result, they gonna make new test soon.

Same with our government next week they are suppose to give a new number how many in stockholm has been infected.

Edit: noticed your links almost said the same thing I posted. The reason our R number is below 1 is because stockholm is achieving herd immunity as our behaviour has not changed since 15 march, I would say we have actually been less and less careful since that date but because Stockholm is achieving herd immunity our R number can't rise.

Last edited by Trumpstyle - on 02 May 2020

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

JRPGfan said:

# Fake news?

If doctors spread mis information (aka fake news), it could be dangerous?
Likely why it was taken down.

Youtube actually hired people to look at mis-information about the coronavirus.
If your spreading something thats incorrect, its taken down.

So if you get a doctor to make a youtube video, saying "black people are immune to this virus" and put it online.
Someone will come by, notice it and remove it. Its factually incorrect, and can thus be taken down.

edit: yes it was fakenews.

the  video in question, basically says "its just a flubro", "stay at home doesnt work" "its not statistic significant if you lockdown or not" ect.
Its a bullshit video LurkerJ, thats dangerous and goes against what WHO recammend, and what the White house itself says ect.

video talking about it :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=352&v=RCRfxQ38TXE&feature=emb_logo

edit 2:

The american college of emergency physicians (ACEP) and the american academy of emergency medicine (AAEM) jointly released a statement, condeming the recent opinions by these doctors in the video you talk about LurkerJ.

They say "as the owners of local urgent care clinics, it appears these two indeviduals are releaseing biased, non-peer reviewed data to advance their own personal financial  intrests".

^ # fake news, 2 lieing doctors, out for profits, not careing about lives it risks.

Ok, so I didn't want to respond before watching the video in question myself, and I have just spent an hour watching it, and let me all of what you said or quoted is utter BS, you didn't other bother to explain to anyone why you think it's fake news, if your case case is so obvious, please explain it.

Here are the links if any one is interested: part 1: https://youtu.be/h_EwxG8YZ50 part 2: https://youtu.be/FuAh6iuWTls

The two doctors are FOR QUARANTINE, FOR TESTING, FOR MANY POLICIES that are in place at the moment, they aren't even asking for complete lift of restrictions, they think sporting events are NOT essential. The data their sharing is factual data that is available to everyone. The video does include some CONCLUSIONS AND OPINIONS, the 2 doctors make that clear through their well-spoken presentation.

It's even a two-side presentation, with many journalists allowed inside the room and loudly opposing the doctors' OPINIONS, encouraged to challenge both of them in somewhat heated yet a civilized manner, in other words, FREE PRESS. Ironic how so many of you are hyper-aware of fake news yet lack any hint of skepticism and wait for others to tell them what piece of news is fake, for shame. 

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 02 May 2020