By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

SpokenTruth said:
NightlyPoe said:

I wouldn't know Cardi B if he or she walked past me in the street.  So... there's that.

I probably look into popular music (I assume) again some time in the future.  I've got a weird knowledge gap there.

You're not alone in that.  I stopped listening to regular radio (and watching TV) over 15 years ago.  My wife and I just lost all interest.  Too much other good stuff online.

I know her name, I think I know her face...might be NIkki Minaj or that Stallion lady...but memes though.  I know my memes.  And I can't place this one.

Here's an example of one of the memes and the voice stuck in my head https://www.tiktok.com/music/CORONAVIRUS-wobruno-6805333463068084997?traffic_type=others

Around the Network

Another day passed. While it still looks like Spain might have reached the growth peak on the 26th, they will pass Italy tomorrow and have also reached a higher peak in average deaths. Spain is following italy very closely. Italy peaked on the 21st, Spain (maybe) 26th. For both the growth rate went back down a bit then 5 or 6 days later another slightly lower peak, then down again. That is, if Spain continues to go down from now on.

Italy had the highest daily deaths (3 day average) on the 28th, 7 days after the growth peak, 855 deaths.
Spain so far, highest 3 day average deaths should be on the 2nd, looking like somewhere around 920 deaths.

Tomorrow will be the deciding day whether Spain is indeed 5 days behind Italy or perhaps more. Regardless of whether the growth goes up or down, Spain will take the nr 2 spot tomorrow in total cases.

All the others are up, mid week boost.

Europe's 5 day average growth was down to 0.933 on the 28th (Thursday to Monday average), back up to 1.069 for the 31st (Sunday to Thursday average)
USA was down to 1.023 on the 28th back up to 1.129 on the 31st and the world average from 0.933 to 1.069.

Compared to the 5 day average on the 24th (exactly one week ago) they are all down, so despite mid week throwing out higher numbers, week to week comparison is still moving in the right direction. USA is still slowly catching up to Europe, currently 8.2 days behind.

SvennoJ said:

Compared to the 5 day average on the 24th (exactly one week ago) they are all down, so despite mid week throwing out higher numbers, week to week comparison is still moving in the right direction. USA is still slowly catching up to Europe, currently 8.2 days behind.

Were at least 2 weeks probably more behind Europe. A lot of States just ordered their stay at home policies in the last 48 hours and there are still a lot of states without an order declared t.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
jason1637 said:

Bruh this post just reminded me the remix woth her saying coronavirus. 

I literally cannot escape her voice in my head for the past two weeks or so saying corona virus. It's crazy 

lmao I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way...

Quick and fun question. Let's say we have a reliable antibody test available. And let's assume that antibodies mean you're immune. If you get tested positively you get an immunity certificate and can leave your home and conduct business as usual. Now let's assume you come back negative because you never contracted the virus and the vaccine won't come until another year. Would you take an offer to get purposefully infected and then get a certificate after a month?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Germany is spreading fake news about Austria. Yesterday Austrian officials reported that the first confirmed case in Ischgl (Tyrol's original hotspot) had occured on February 5th which is a notably earlier date than initially assumed. Later on the same day Austrian's minister of health made a correction because it was a matter of a wrong number being entered in the system (yes, that's the normal level of competence in Austria), so the actual date is March 5th.

That didn't stop German media from running with the false date in their late evening news and spinning a narrative with it. Once again I want to say that Germany is full of shit.

Who knows when shit was spreading.  Here in USA can get test if dying or almost there or rich.  This shit was probably spreading around in Feb with air travel, cruises, and just anyone socializing.  Sure might seem negative to you but who knows when this shit was really spreading.  I'm guessing early Jan and Feb. from people went to China for business and travel.

RolStoppable said:
Germany is spreading fake news about Austria. Yesterday Austrian officials reported that the first confirmed case in Ischgl (Tyrol's original hotspot) had occured on February 5th which is a notably earlier date than initially assumed. Later on the same day Austrian's minister of health made a correction because it was a matter of a wrong number being entered in the system (yes, that's the normal level of competence in Austria), so the actual date is March 5th.

That didn't stop German media from running with the false date in their late evening news and spinning a narrative with it. Once again I want to say that Germany is full of shit.

That shouldn't surprise you. We have a long and proud tradition of spreading fake news told to us by some Austrian guy.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I'm appalled by how badly prepaired the western world was for this, in terms of PPE.
Its one thing you dont have laboratory capacity, and evne you hestiate to go into shutdown and isolate+track people for infection spread.
However the apparent lack of PPE so many places, is crazy to me.

Still we have to remember in other parts of the world, things can be much much worse.
In Southeastern Africa, theres a country called Malawi which by resent estimates has a population of 18million people.
They have 7 ventilators, and laboratory capacity to test at most, 20 people pr day. They have 25 ICU bed spaces in hospitals.

Can you imagine?

I saw a video of radial muslims, in india throwing rocks of doctors suited up, going into a slum to try and bring out and save a infected person there.
Videos of orthodox jew purposefully ignoreing all warnings, and seemingly going around purposefully caughing on people, and spitting at others.

To top it all off, some crazy conspiracy nutjob in the US, took a train and tried to run it off track and into the Hospital ship "mercy".

What in the world.

JRPGfan said:

In Southeastern Africa, theres a country called Malawi which by resent estimates has a population of 18million people.
They have 7 ventilators, and laboratory capacity to test at most, 20 people pr day. They have 25 ICU bed spaces in hospitals.

Can you imagine?

while that stat is alarming, the median age of Malawi is ~18 years, so if age is the by far largest factor in the deadliness of the disease (highly eclipsing nutrition etc), then they won't be hit tooo hard I imagine

vivster said:
Quick and fun question. Let's say we have a reliable antibody test available. And let's assume that antibodies mean you're immune. If you get tested positively you get an immunity certificate and can leave your home and conduct business as usual. Now let's assume you come back negative because you never contracted the virus and the vaccine won't come until another year. Would you take an offer to get purposefully infected and then get a certificate after a month?

As even after a recovery you might have damage to your lungs, I happily chose to stay indoors. But I might be privileged, by being able to easily work in Home Office. If you can't do that, you might see it differently.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]