By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

newwil7l said:
JRPGfan said:

Most of europe is a week or more ahead on the timeline, compaired to the USA.
This matters because deaths lag behinde by potentially weeks.... so the "deaths" today, are caused by infections from weeks ago.
Go look at how many were infected in the US, a week or two ago. Then look at todays numbers of infected, and think 2 weeks forwards.

Within a week, im sure you'll see the US beat that record many times over (much bigger country).

France is behind its European peers like Spain and Italy though. 

That number is beyond staggering regardless and has me very worried for France, much more than America as of now. 

They probably included nurseing homes numbers, from a few days into todays numbers (which is why it spiked).
A outbreak in a nurseing home, is like a death sentence for these people.

Next few days, you should see rates go back to a more normal range.
Its about how you "count" or what you include or not, and when you do.

Around the Network
newwil7l said:
SpokenTruth said:

Healthy weight loss is around 2 lbs (1 Kg) per week.  For a 6' man at 260 lbs with a 35 BMI to drop to a 30 BMI would take a weight loss of 40 lbs.  That's a 20 week weight loss plan. Losing weight faster also impacts your immune system.

EDIT: Maybe if our economy wasn't predicted on the notion go, go, go, produce, produce, produce...we'd have more time for exercise and cook healthier meals.

I think it's silly to blame the economy for people's unhealthy habits. A poor excuse really. 

It comes down to the individual and if you want to make time for excercise, you will.

It's a lot more complicated. Bio-individuality is the biggest factor. Imagine you eating a lot more and working out a lot less but still not gaining weight as another person. And how weight rebounds. Losing weight seems simple to people but it becomes a curse that leads you down a path of unhappiness and stress, which itself causes you to gain more weight. I'm not saying no one should try or that it's not possible but to trivialize the situation isn't helping anyone. Plus if you're working all day, the stress and lack of time or energy to do things can lead to you not losing weight. Hell some people do excercize like hell and the body gives the opposite response. There's a lot of factors and work is definitely one of them. 

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

884 from todays deaths in France come from nursing homes and they happened over the last days/weeks.

Still not all nursing homes included in the data, though

I am currently following this workout because of Corona.

vivster said:
RolStoppable said:

It's not so bad. Instead of getting fully absorbed by the corona hysteria, people should be thinking of all the other things that are connected in the big picture; after all, right now there's more time for that than usual, with so many people either losing their jobs or working only short periods of time each week. Why do Americans get so fat on average? Because corn syrup is omnipresent in processed food. Why is corn syrup everywhere? Because it's sweet and very cheap, so it tastes good and allows manufacturers to pad food instead of having to use healthier and more expensive ingredients to reach the expected size for a meal. It's just one big example of a government putting economic interests of big corporations above the health of the population; tied into that is the pharma industry because it's in their best interest that people aren't healthy.

And yes, it's the government's job to make laws that protect its people, because people don't have the time to research everything all the time. What also ties into food is meat production. Lax laws mean more cheap meat, but it comes at the cost of the environment because of the tremendous amount of animals, both in the masses of food they need to be fed and the questions regarding where there poo should go and the perpetual burping of cows which accounts for quite a significant amount of CO² emissions on this plant. A lot of things are intertwined, so merely tackling the question of how to have less fat people would help with a bunch of other seemingly unrelated problems as well.

A few European countries have passed a tax on sugar and the response of the mighty Coca Cola company was that they notably reduced the amount of sugar in their soda pops. Capitalism is good because it rewards effort and therefore pushes people to work hard, but governments have to act as a responsible check to contain capitalism, because in its purest form capitalism is extremely dangerous. The biggest flaw in the current setup of industrialized nations is that people tend to be corrupt, so money can buy laws or the lack thereof; that allows corporations to get richer and repeat this cycle, and that's how the world got so much pollution and fat people.

So yes, we should have no more very fat people. But the responsibility for that lies in large part with the governments who have to make laws that discourage companies from producing very unhealthy food. If the population cannot buy such questionable food, then there aren't obese people in the first place. You see, fat shaming can have its benefits because it can get people to think about the big picture more critically; if it wasn't allowed to talk about fat due to "protecting the feelings of fat people" or some other form of political correctness, then the obesity problem will inevitably persist.

Obesity isn't a health issue, it's a lifestyle choice. In fact, obese people are actually healthier than fit people because they can fit a lot more health in them than those string bean fat shamers.

It's not always just a lifestyle choice, it's often a health issue.
A mental health issue brought on by the likes of depression, anxiety or more.

And fat shaming shouldn't be something to shy away against if done in an appropriate, constructive, supportive and positive manner... It's when it is used in a derogatory, hateful, spiteful manner where it can be damaging.

I fully support a sugar tax.

SvennoJ said:

Obesity is generally not healthy, obesity starts at a bmi of 30 and over. There are exceptions, sumo wrestlers have a BMI of 56, eat 5,000 calories a day and train all day, until they don't:

I am only going to say this once... BMI is total bullshit.

It is "Body-Mass-Index" - And it doesn't differentiate between muscle mass or fat mass... Thus someone like myself who is fit, healthy and has muscle definition with a low amount of body fat would be classed as "Obese" as I tread just slightly over the BMI recommendations.

John2290 said:

Covid 19 won't look at obese people any differently, not a time to put the head in the sand and imagine it as some social issue. Look at reality. Look at New Orleans...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN21K1B0

It should negatively effect the extremely obese a little more than your average individual as they likely have additional mass that restricts breathing somewhat.
And from what I can tell... Many health institutions are getting COVID patients to lay on their stomachs... Which is not comfortable if you have a large gut.

AsGryffynn said:

Smokers can be fit people but they are the first who are going into a ventilator. That's kind of the point here. 

While correct that you can be fit and a smoker... Smoking will most certainly hold back your fitness levels.

I used to be a smoker 8 years ago... And my ability to exert myself and not run out of breath is a night and day difference.

Plus, I am more educated about the dangers of smoke and carcinogens and it's effect on the body now due to professional reasons.

Look at it this way... I wouldn't want a respiratory disease like COVID while being a smoker. Fuck... That.

Eagle367 said:

It's a lot more complicated. Bio-individuality is the biggest factor. Imagine you eating a lot more and working out a lot less but still not gaining weight as another person. And how weight rebounds. Losing weight seems simple to people but it becomes a curse that leads you down a path of unhappiness and stress, which itself causes you to gain more weight. I'm not saying no one should try or that it's not possible but to trivialize the situation isn't helping anyone. Plus if you're working all day, the stress and lack of time or energy to do things can lead to you not losing weight. Hell some people do excercize like hell and the body gives the opposite response. There's a lot of factors and work is definitely one of them. 

Diet is probably the single largest influences on weight gain/loss.
It's not just about exercise... It helps, no doubt.

But if you consume more calories than you burn, you will gain weight... And that is where diets come into play, things like Keto, Atkins and so forth are merely "tools" that restrict the type of foods you eat, which in turn might affect your caloric intake... As you tend to gravitate towards eating lots of food with low calories like Cauliflower, Broccoli, Zucchini etc'.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 02 April 2020

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
drkohler said:
JRPGfan said:

Numbers from Spain/Italy are likely only half, of actual numbers at best.
Its likely its much like this other places too.

In Ialy, Bergamo, the situation is out of hands. Many more deaths than officially counted.

There are ("illegally taken") pictures floating around from Wuhan, where the crematorium is working day and night. The Chinese numbers are obciously fake.

Worldinfometer added this note today explaining France's sudden high numbers

France today reported 884 additional deaths that have occurred in nursing homes over the past days and weeks [source]. The French Government did not include these deaths in their official count, as their count only takes into consideration deaths of hospitalized patients. Following international standards of correct inclusion, our statistics will include these deaths, and will add them to the April 2, 2020 count following the attribution criteria of date of report.

If and when the French government determines and communicates the correct distribution of these additional deaths over time, we will adjust the historical data accordingly.

What international standard of correct inclusion? It seems to be the theme everywhere to only count hospital deaths. International standards are to fudge the numbers :/

SpokenTruth said:
NightlyPoe said:

Current projections are that the peak will be around 2,600.  So, double France's number today.  Though it might get as bad as 4,000.

France had a bulk add from previous deaths.  884 were added today but they actually happened days and even weeks ago.  It still counts toward the overall total deaths but today's figure is going to be an asterisked anomaly.  Take that 884 away from the 1,355 being reports and it's only 471 today so far. 

Yep and by the wording on worldinfometer, France is not going to be including those in the future either, and plenty other countries are not counting deaths happening outside hospitals either. That throws a big wrench in all those projections based on death statistics.

Random but semi-related, anyone else hear Cardi B's voice every time they read "corona virus" because of the stupid memes??

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Random but semi-related, anyone else hear Cardi B's voice every time they read "corona virus" because of the stupid memes??

Bruh this post just reminded me the remix woth her saying coronavirus. 

jason1637 said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

Bruh this post just reminded me the remix woth her saying coronavirus. 

I literally cannot escape her voice in my head for the past two weeks or so saying corona virus. It's crazy