By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

vivster said:
Quick and fun question. Let's say we have a reliable antibody test available. And let's assume that antibodies mean you're immune. If you get tested positively you get an immunity certificate and can leave your home and conduct business as usual. Now let's assume you come back negative because you never contracted the virus and the vaccine won't come until another year. Would you take an offer to get purposefully infected and then get a certificate after a month?

8-10days after a "recovery", you dont shed it anymore, and this dont contribute to the spread.
Those people should be allowed to go around as they please.

Assumeing people are tested negative, they should wait for a vaccine (imo, this is safer).

"Would you take an offer to get purposefully infected and then get a certificate after a month?"

If you lived alone, or with just your GF/BF ect, and your both young (30 and under) and great health (BMI like 25 or under), and have no underlying health issues? Purposefully stock up on like a 3 weeks supply of food in advance.. maybe.  I could imagine alot would choose to purposefully contract it then. It would be best if you "knew" when it happend though, so like, get a injection with virus cells, so you "Know" you've now got it, and you can go self quarantine (without worry of infecting others).

^ this only works if you dont have idoits, that go around thinking they have it, without knowing for certain, or trying to contract it, without knowing when they do. So they dont unnessarly futher spread in society.  Also, people that choose such a option "getting a injection of virus cells", you could montor them, to make sure they stay inside, is probably the only way this methode would work, without makeing things worse.

In a controlled way, this could be a option, around the world.
offer people under 30, that want this option, 3 weeks of food (bring it to them), give them the shot, and make sure to monitor them, when their in quarantine. A few weeks lateron, your building up herd immunity in a relatively safe and controlled way. These people can then go back to work earlier.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 03 April 2020

Around the Network
Lafiel said:
JRPGfan said:

In Southeastern Africa, theres a country called Malawi which by resent estimates has a population of 18million people.
They have 7 ventilators, and laboratory capacity to test at most, 20 people pr day. They have 25 ICU bed spaces in hospitals.

Can you imagine?

while that stat is alarming, the median age of Malawi is ~18 years, so if age is the by far largest factor in the deadliness of the disease (highly eclipsing nutrition etc), then they won't be hit tooo hard I imagine

The largest factor isn't age but overall health, which which just correlates with age. If you have a young population that's malnourished and sick you will see the same result as other countries, if not worse.

Malawi has high infant mortality, general life expency of 50 years and a gigantic number of HIV infected. I'm not a doctor but I believe in medical terms they're pretty "fucked" if covid ever spreads there.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Lafiel said:
JRPGfan said:

In Southeastern Africa, theres a country called Malawi which by resent estimates has a population of 18million people.
They have 7 ventilators, and laboratory capacity to test at most, 20 people pr day. They have 25 ICU bed spaces in hospitals.

Can you imagine?

while that stat is alarming, the median age of Malawi is ~18 years, so if age is the by far largest factor in the deadliness of the disease (highly eclipsing nutrition etc), then they won't be hit tooo hard I imagine

This is actually a good point. I just looked, and also noticed their life expectancy is like 60years.... O_o
(maybe I read this wrong, but for women after childbirth its 50years! wow)

vivster said:
Lafiel said:

The largest factor isn't age but overall health, which which just correlates with age. If you have a young population that's malnourished and sick you will see the same result as other countries, if not worse.

Malawi has high infant mortality, general life expency of 50 years and a gigantic number of HIV infected. I'm not a doctor but I believe in medical terms they're pretty "fucked" if covid ever spreads there.

Another good point.
Supposedly 12%+ of the population has HIV/AIDs.
And a ton of other illnesses, that are rampant there, which in the western world, we dont have to anywhere near that extent.
If your already dealing with other things, and get this virus ontop, it might be harder to come out on top.

What would be messed up is if like a 100 years or more from now, you go back and look at how many with HIV/AIDs this killed, and concluded that it killing so many with it, actually slowed HIV/AIDs spread to the point where it actually saved more lives, down the line.

Not sure if it's great or sad how this whole thing has made no difference in my life lol.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Not sure if it's great or sad how this whole thing has made no difference in my life lol.

Don't worry, it will soon. We're gonna enter a worldwide super recession and it's gonna be like Mad Max out there. Roving bands of rebels trying to find the last bits of internet to put in their computers.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Most of the world = whatever will I do! this social distanceing is horrible, Im about to lose my mind!

Most of VGChartz = aaawww, perfect time to catch up with the backlog of games I have, read some books, or binge that tv series I wanted to see.

John2290 said:
vivster said:

Don't worry, it will soon. We're gonna enter a worldwide super recession and it's gonna be like Mad Max out there. Roving bands of rebels trying to find the last bits of internet to put in their computers.

You kid but It will actually probably end up something like that, lol. If things go really sideways into a global depression, next to food, water and shelter the people who can supply the internet are the ones who have the wealth. Internet and information as a currency, something out of a Kojima game, it certainly isn't going back the way it was anytime soon and the longer this goes on the more difficult it will be to fix, many economists are saying it's already unfixable globally but sure they know fuck all when things are going well, guessing games at the best of times. 

Social Distanceing? self Quarantine? no problem
Now apply a power outage, or no internet to that.... things are suddenly vastly differnt.

SpokenTruth said:

4/2 US-Italy and others:

It's odd what has become the new normal.  News cases and deaths for the US, Italy, France, Spain and others...all the new normal.  

Brazil is emerging as a place to watch. 3 days in a row with high new cases totals.  All near the same level suggesting it is being capped by testing capacity.  Deaths doubled from the previous day.

Brazil is in deep trouble because their response is even worse then the US's. Bolsonaro is still denying the problem and pushing for everyone to act as normal.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/in-brazil-jair-bolsonaro-trumps-close-ally-dangerously-downplays-the-coronavirus-risk

Signature goes here!

John2290 said:
vivster said:

You kid but It will actually probably end up something like that, lol. If things go really sideways into a global depression, next to food, water and shelter the people who can supply the internet are the ones who have the wealth. Internet and information as a currency, something out of a Kojima game, it certainly isn't going back the way it was anytime soon and the longer this goes on the more difficult it will be to fix, many economists are saying it's already unfixable globally but sure they know fuck all when things are going well, guessing games at the best of times. 

Currency is imaginary. That means it can be imagined to whatever it should be. Recession is just as well an imaginary thing. It happens when money stops circulating for one reason or the other. Recessions fix themselves as soon as people start consuming again. There is no such thing as a point of no return. That's just rhetoric from people who want to coax out bailouts for their fortune.

The economy is made up out of people, products and services, as long as those exist the economy will be fine. If for some reason things are not gonna be fine it's because major global players do not want to play ball because they only know how short term profits work. But that's nothing some social outrage or civil war can't fix.

John2290 said:
RolStoppable said:

This whole situation is a perfect opportunity for the countries of this world to consider if it's even the right thing to fix it all back to how it was before.

That brings new problems like no economically deterrent against war. There'll be lots of and lots of war before things get better. I hope no asshole country doesn't go off on one and create a war economy as a last resort, that'll be fun. 

Sometimes I wonder what you think which millennium we live in.

JRPGfan said:

Still we have to remember in other parts of the world, things can be much much worse.

Can you imagine?

Well, all I have to say is, I'm glad I am not a Malawian.