By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will the switch outsell the ps4?

When will the switch outsell the ps4?

Second half of 2022 33 11.54%

First half of 2023 24 8.39%

Second half of 2023 35 12.24%

First half of 2024 15 5.24%

Second half of 2024 16 5.59%

First half of 2025 7 2.45%

Second half of 2025 5 1.75%

Later than above 2 0.70%

Never 149 52.10%

Total:286
Nu-13 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:
Switch's next 3 years will have to be the same as it's last 3 years to match what PS4 has now. Will it have the legs to do that? And if it does PS4 Will have sold a further 20 million by then potentially. Nintendo consoles aren't known for their legs but we'll see, depends on how much the switch Lite manages.

Switch will take like 2 years to match it's first 3 calendar years and ps4 won't sell that much.

The Wii Never hit 25m and you think the Switch will do it in consecutive years?

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
Nu-13 said:

Switch will take like 2 years to match it's first 3 calendar years and ps4 won't sell that much.

He’s predicting the switch to sell 27 millions this year. Without any price cut or new revision...

kazuyamishima said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

He’s predicting the switch to sell 27 millions this year. Without any price cut or new revision...

Refrain from speaking for others (especially if you're going to lie, like you just did).

ArchangelMadzz said:
Nu-13 said:

Why is it that this kind of post always asks this? Sales don't have to and won't be the same for two consecutive years. I expect 26m this year and 22m next year. The wii never selling 25m in one year has absolutely nothing to do with this topic.

Last edited by Nu-13 - on 07 February 2020

Ryng said:
HoloDust said:
Ah,...again that almost unmistakable whiff of Zero999 in this forum...

OH SHIT

Yeah...every few years he sneaks an alt in here and starts off slowly, sometimes even sensibly, but eventually his Nintendo zealotism gets the better of him and mods permaban him...again.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
victor83fernandes said:

The switch is still capable against a ps4, but the ps5 will be at least 10x more powerful than a switch. PS5 will also be backwards compatible, switch isn't.

But this talk is pointless, even if the switch hits wii numbers, it still wont outsell the ps4 which will end up at 150 million. Or are you telling me the switch will sell 70 million in the next 2-3 years? I'm sure Nintendo will release a switch2 in 2-3 years.

The ps4 will have a price drop when the ps5 launches, by then ps4 will be already 115 million sold, the switch will be 60 million, switch sales will start to slow down, and so will ps4, next gen consoles will start to be the top sellers.

There is no way Nintendo could outsell the ps4, unless

1 - they drop the price of consoles

2 - they do some sales on their older games

3 - they don't release a next gen switch for at least 4 years

4 - Even if all that becomes true, its still far fetched to think it could outsell a ps4. In the end even the 3ds didn't outsell the ps3 or 360, Nintendo portables do really well in the first few years but then sales drop fast.

It won't matter if PS5 is x10 or even x30 more powerful than the Switch. People don't buy the Switch for graphics, they buy it cos its the only way to play Pokemon/Smash/etc and is now the only option for dedicated gaming on the go. PS5 doesn't supplant that, so it won't affect Switch sales.

And assuming Switch will adhere to the trends of past Nintendo systems is also a mistake as it is quite unlike any of them.

Show me where I said Switch will outsell PS4.

You have a very good point, Nintendo can and will sell as a portable, not a home console, hence why the LITE is selling so well, but the same with 3ds, it hit a plateau in sales, all Nintendo portables sell for a few years until they release a new model. Most people who wanted one already got one. 

The big issue with the switch is it doesn't have backwards compatibility, the 3ds had full compatibility with DS games, then another huge issue, switch games are way more expensive than 3ds games, portable games was always cheaper than home console games. Another issue, the switch is really not that portable, you cant fold it and put in the pocket like the 3ds.

So I really do not see the switch selling more than 100 million until a switch 2 arrives. Even the 3ds which was very popular didn't reach those numbers during 9 years at a cheaper price.

The switch had a huge advantage, it came out when everyone already had a ps or xbox, and after the wiiU which no one wanted. So people had their wallets ready and no new toys to buy.

But going forward there's more competition for peoples wallets for Christmas, brand new consoles that will be desired by all kids, the new consoles will be the top sellers this Christmas period, by far.

But again you have a point, the switch is a good spot by being the only portable console going forward. To be honest I'm surprised sony didn't jump in with a similar device mid generation, a current technology Vita would blow the switch away, I remember testing my Vita and 3ds side by side, and there was no competition at all, Sony doesn't cheap out as much as Nintendo. Imagine a Switch with OLED screen, double the battery, double the storage, smaller bezels, more power.

If PS5's launch does end up getting pushed back due to the Coronavirus outbreak in China, that will give PS4 an extra holiday season before its replacement.

Also, despite what Sony says about wanting to move players over to PS5 more quickly than ever before, a system as successful as the PS4 won't just stop selling overnight when it's replaced either. Even the PS3 sold 7 million units after the launch of PS4.

I'm still sticking to my prediction of 130-140 million lifetime for PS4.

victor83fernandes said:
curl-6 said:

It won't matter if PS5 is x10 or even x30 more powerful than the Switch. People don't buy the Switch for graphics, they buy it cos its the only way to play Pokemon/Smash/etc and is now the only option for dedicated gaming on the go. PS5 doesn't supplant that, so it won't affect Switch sales.

And assuming Switch will adhere to the trends of past Nintendo systems is also a mistake as it is quite unlike any of them.

Show me where I said Switch will outsell PS4.

You have a very good point, Nintendo can and will sell as a portable, not a home console, hence why the LITE is selling so well, but the same with 3ds, it hit a plateau in sales, all Nintendo portables sell for a few years until they release a new model. Most people who wanted one already got one. 

The big issue with the switch is it doesn't have backwards compatibility, the 3ds had full compatibility with DS games, then another huge issue, switch games are way more expensive than 3ds games, portable games was always cheaper than home console games. Another issue, the switch is really not that portable, you cant fold it and put in the pocket like the 3ds.

So I really do not see the switch selling more than 100 million until a switch 2 arrives. Even the 3ds which was very popular didn't reach those numbers during 9 years at a cheaper price.

The switch had a huge advantage, it came out when everyone already had a ps or xbox, and after the wiiU which no one wanted. So people had their wallets ready and no new toys to buy.

But going forward there's more competition for peoples wallets for Christmas, brand new consoles that will be desired by all kids, the new consoles will be the top sellers this Christmas period, by far.

But again you have a point, the switch is a good spot by being the only portable console going forward. To be honest I'm surprised sony didn't jump in with a similar device mid generation, a current technology Vita would blow the switch away, I remember testing my Vita and 3ds side by side, and there was no competition at all, Sony doesn't cheap out as much as Nintendo. Imagine a Switch with OLED screen, double the battery, double the storage, smaller bezels, more power.

Switch is selling at a much faster pace than the 3DS though, despite being much more expensive.

It's already over 10 million ahead of where 3DS was at the same point, and the gap is widening.

And Switch is a totally different product to PS and Xbox; it doesn't sell for the same reasons and occupies a different niche. Since PS5 and XSX won't offer gaming on the go or games like Pokemon and Smash, the arrival of those systems won't supplant Switch's value proposition and therefore won't significantly affect its sales.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 February 2020

curl-6 said:
victor83fernandes said:

Switch is selling at a much faster pace than the 3DS though, despite being much more expensive.

It's already over 10 million ahead of where 3DS was at the same point, and the gap is widening.

And Switch is a totally different product to PS and Xbox; it doesn't sell for the same reasons and occupies a different niche. Since PS5 and XSX won't offer gaming on the go or games like Pokemon and Smash, the arrival of those systems won't supplant Switch and therefore won't significantly affect its sales.

Not to mention the lite isn't selling that well, which shows how much value the hybrid concept adds.

Ps5 and xsx not affecting the switch has more to do with pricing and that it will take untill 2022 for them to start getting a lot of non cross gen games.

padib said:
victor83fernandes said:

Nintendo is not keeping the switch for another 5 years, I am 100% certain they will release a new console before then. They never had a console going for 8 years without a successor. Sales will drop fast, just like 3ds, no way the switch would be selling 13 million in 2025, no way, most people who wanted one already have it, unless they would be sold at 120 dollars in 2025.

You expect the ps4 to sell 6 million until next year? I don't know what drugs are you on, but there will be a price drop, games price drops and a thing called Christmas and blackfriday, the ps4 will sell minimum 10 million until next February, easily. And minimum 5million the year after, because of the low prices, there are a lot of poor people who cant afford 450dollars consoles + 60-70 dollars games. I know of people still using a ps3 and still waiting on the ps4 to reach 150dollars with games.

At current pace the ps4 would sell 7 million, but its a slow month, when last of us 2 releases, the ps4 sales will more than double, and then on black Friday with price drop it will triple. 7 million would be the absolute minimum sales possible, there's less than 10% chance of them selling only 7 million. Maybe if sony released the ps5 at 399dollars which is impossible, as the ssd alone costs more than 100 dollars.

Come back to me when its proven that I'm right yet again.

Sorry I don't remember you being right before. Rather I remember you typically being awefully wrong.

The Switch is a platform that is scalable, as I mentioned in my post if you bothered to read it. As such, it can go with multiple revisions for many years, and can sell also with continued momentum like something you have never really seen before in a console.

My predictions for PS4 are based off the Tools -> Hardware by Date tool on vgchartz. If you haven't used it before, I invite you to do so.

And please don't pretend that I am taking drugs, I find it offensive.

I was right when I said the wii was going to sell way more than gamecube and I was right when I said the switch would sell way more than the wiiU. I was right when I said the ps4 would sell way more than Xbox one and I was right when I said the new consoles would come end of 2020 when everyone was saying 2019 a few years back.

If you get your predictions from hardware by date, then the wii would have sold minimum 150 million by now as it was a phenomenon. 

If you use the same tool and match sales ps4 vs switch, you'd know they sold about the same for the first years, so the switch could outsell the ps4 in the end when ps4 goes out of production, lets say in 8-9 years.

Then again, I don't need tools, I have a brain, look at 3ds, it was outselling the ps3 for quite a while, still haven't out sold it to this date.

Switch can be scalable, but next gen games will be far too advanced to scale it to a tablet device. From next year the only AAA 3rd party will be remasters or current gen ports or low budget games.

Same with 3DS, there were newer games that couldn't run on the older 3ds (xenoblades for example even tough it was much worse than the wii version), so many of those 3ds sales were not new consumers, but people just upgrading.

In 2019 Nintendo sold really well due mostly to the LITE switch, which sold to people who only wanted a portable, but now there's not much reason to buy it, most people who wanted a hydrid or portable already bought it.

If they come out with an upgraded switch (lets call it a + version) most buyers would be people who already have a switch.

To put things into perspective, lets look at the numbers of software sold in total, probably things would look very different, I believe ps consumers buy more games than Nintendo consumers. 

I have all consoles, but I do have more games on wiiU than switch, if we really think about it the switch didn't get many exclusives in 3 years, Xenoblades 2, Mario galaxy, Mario + rabbids and Luigi mansion 3, I never liked smash bros, I don't do fighting games and I don't like splatoon, I do not play online ever So what else is there on the switch? Most of third party games I'd rather play in 4K on my 100inch projector with much better graphics and performance at much cheaper prices, example witcher 3, looks horrible on the switch, performs worse, and costs 3x the price.