By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What are you hoping for out of BotW2?

These type of threads bother me because I know what everyone will be asking for, no weapon breaking.

Personally, I really liked the weapon breaking mechanic. It gave it a survival-esque type feeling. You couldn't rely on your weapons, sometimes you had to sneak by an encampment because it wasn't worth it. Sometimes your good weapon would break and you'd have to improvise. If that mechanic was gone I'd probably stop going for environmental kills as much (out of sheer laziness), and those can be exhilarating when done correctly!

Personally what I want are a greater amount of unique items (e.g. not just bombs, stasis, magnesis, and the ice block one). Even if that means dungeons must be taken in a more linear fashion...maybe make it half way linear. Or do the Mega Man thing and make it to where you can tackle the dungeons however you want but the boss fight is easier with a particular weapon/item in hand from a different dungeon. I do want better dungeons. I thought that the whole "open your map" dungeon mechanic was really cool the first time, but for all four of the major dungeons? Nah, I wasn't as impressed. I do want a variety of unique bosses, and I'd also love a recipe book. This way you could find recipes or discover them yourself. Then you could go to the recipe book when cooking and auto make certain things to eat or drink, so it isn't so intrusive.

Around the Network
CladInShadows said:
Slownenberg said:

They already did this in BotW. The great plateau is exactly what you are asking for. You get a small portion of the map to start the game at, then after a bit you are able to open up the rest of the map, ya know, because it is an open world game. Sounds like you just don't want an open world Zelda game.

What you're referring to happens at about 1-2% into the game. It's a tutorial area and nothing more.

Which is what you asked for: "don't make the entire map available immediately". They didn't, period. They make a small portion of the map available immediately, as an intro section, and then afterward you get the whole open world because it is an open world game.

Like I said, you are actually asking for it to not be an open world game, because they already gave you the "don't make the entire map available immediately" in BotW. Open world game -> open world. You are asking to go back to what Zelda's were like pre-BotW, where you are limited where you can go in the world until you do/beat/get certain things, which is not open world. Which is fine, you are just asking for them to not make another open world game, as you prefer the linearity of previous Zelda games of opening up new parts of the game as you progress and not being able to enter them until the game allows you.

Hiku said:
RolStoppable said:

3. Instead of making almost the entire world subject to a universal difficulty that raises over time, I'd like to see a variety of unique locations like enemy fortresses being locked at a certain difficulty. This makes for a more interesting world because what BotW faced was a world that felt ultimately very similar regardless of which direction you took. Also, let those locations have some meatier music than the plain overworld.

3. By "locked at a certain difficulty", you mean there's nothing preventing you from entering that area, but the enemies will probably be too tough to deal with early on?
I always liked this feature in games (like FF12) because the designers don't have to be as restrictive with the content of that area, including the rewards you can find there. Makes it fun to explore and keep pushing through to see what awaits at the end.

I see why they did universal difficulty raises, because that way all areas maintain some degree of difficulty as you continue to explore or go back to places you'd been a while ago, and they don't need to try so hard to balance areas of the game against where they think the player should be at in terms of power when they get there. But at the same time I agree that it'd be cooler to have set difficulty in areas, so you go to an area and just get destroyed and realize you need to be a lot more powerful to go through there or be really sneaky to get through there now. It's fun in games to get to a new level and realize its way harder and you have to change your strategy or search for more powerful items before going back. It gives motivation. So yeah I think certain locations having unique difficulty levels while maybe more general areas having raised difficulty as you go along so the "in-between" parts still can challenge the player makes sense.

Weapons have a meter showing how damaged they are and the ability to repair them both with an item and a shop for rupees. I also want this to be set maybe a year or 2 after the original and the people just started to rebuild towns and such previous abandoned. Not having to redo the towers. Do the Metroid thing where Link is overpowered at the begining of the game but find a way to depower him early. Hit him with some energy blast and break the MS or something.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

For people who have played Zelda BotW, what are you hoping for in the sequel, given that it will have the same world?

* Increase the scope of the Stables.
* Give Link much more expansive options for his house.
* Give Link way more options to place his house - for example, I would have MUCH preferred to live in Faron or in the woods behind Fort Hateno.
* More Building/Rebuilding minigames.
* More towns
* More on-field minibosses and monsters. I would LOVE to have some Monster Hunter feeling stuff, and I think that is a great fit for Zelda. Afterall, Monster Hunter's big boss monsters are Zelda inspired.
* Greater visual thematical variety for dungeons.

Do you want things like cooking and weapon durability to stay around?
* Yes,
* Add a cookbook to streamline cooking.

Do you want more story?
* Yes, I think having new story goes without saying.

Bigger dungeons?
* No. Breath of the Wild finally got 3D dungeons right by breaking them up into non-linearly accessed shrines. If anything, I would prefer more Divine Beast Dungeons, but smaller in scale.

Everything the same but just a whole different set of things to do?
* I'd like a few new features, but I love the whole "Wild" theme and I do hope they stick with it for the majority of it.

Do you mind the map being the same or are you hoping the story involves the map being at least superficially altered in some way to allow make it feel like you're exploring a different version of it?
* I'd like new areas.

Any concepts of other open world games or previous Zelda games you want added in?
* Boss Monsters, but not the dungeons. I mostly hated the old 3D Zelda dungeons.
* If I had the option, I would add in some Minecraft creative building features.

What would make BotW2 feel different enough and improved enough, or similar enough, to bring you back for another exciting 100 hours or so?
* I think what they have will be more than sufficient, I have high faith in the team. A remix would be more than sufficient for me.

Or changes would make your ideal BotW game that you hope to be in BotW2?
* So this is like a moonshot question?
1. Multiplayer options (I would love to explore Hyrule with my wife and kids)
2. An epilogue storyline featuring the reconstruction of Hyrule with 150+ hours of gameplay. Think Dragon Quest 9 epilogue, except even better.
3. A trade system that prevents fast travel when in use, basically carrying trade items manually from place to place with buy/sell rates. Also, trade items can be crafted by drops, and then better crafting material and rupees can be traded for with trade items.
4. Craftable weapons, shields, and arrows - but make these unique from the enemy drops.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 07 January 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
CladInShadows said:

What you're referring to happens at about 1-2% into the game. It's a tutorial area and nothing more.

Which is what you asked for: "don't make the entire map available immediately". They didn't, period. They make a small portion of the map available immediately, as an intro section, and then afterward you get the whole open world because it is an open world game.

Like I said, you are actually asking for it to not be an open world game, because they already gave you the "don't make the entire map available immediately" in BotW. Open world game -> open world. You are asking to go back to what Zelda's were like pre-BotW, where you are limited where you can go in the world until you do/beat/get certain things, which is not open world. Which is fine, you are just asking for them to not make another open world game, as you prefer the linearity of previous Zelda games of opening up new parts of the game as you progress and not being able to enter them until the game allows you.

Sure, I guess, if we go by your definition of open world. 

But a slightly increased linearity and open world aren't mutually exclusive and can co-exist. I'd rather a progression like a metroidvania where the world opens up to get continuously bigger and more open. Still an open world, but a considerably larger world once I've gained the ability to traverse it better.

On my list would be:

Pre Calamity Hyrule
Elemental Dungeons
Magic (in some capacity)
New transportation (water/air)

A linear story with better pacing and distinct moods through different parts of the game.

At some it should be just as open as BOTW but not right away.

P.S I never completed the game lol

I'd like to see a "Skyworld" that exists above the map. It should consist of a crapton of floating platforms held up by non-timed-balloons, that are poppable. There should be updrafts, floating ignitable debris (to make your own updrafts), and airborn battles. The ability to use more weapons midair should be added, as well as a downward stabbing attack that you can perform with a sword. Basically just add in link's down attack from Smash to the game. Then add floating enemies that you can bounce off of as you stab down on them. Kind of like how Mario can jump off of multiple flying koopas in order to get to a new solid platform mid air. 

Doctor_MG said:

These type of threads bother me because I know what everyone will be asking for, no weapon breaking.

Personally, I really liked the weapon breaking mechanic. It gave it a survival-esque type feeling. You couldn't rely on your weapons, sometimes you had to sneak by an encampment because it wasn't worth it. Sometimes your good weapon would break and you'd have to improvise. If that mechanic was gone I'd probably stop going for environmental kills as much (out of sheer laziness), and those can be exhilarating when done correctly!

Personally what I want are a greater amount of unique items (e.g. not just bombs, stasis, magnesis, and the ice block one). Even if that means dungeons must be taken in a more linear fashion...maybe make it half way linear. Or do the Mega Man thing and make it to where you can tackle the dungeons however you want but the boss fight is easier with a particular weapon/item in hand from a different dungeon. I do want better dungeons. I thought that the whole "open your map" dungeon mechanic was really cool the first time, but for all four of the major dungeons? Nah, I wasn't as impressed. I do want a variety of unique bosses, and I'd also love a recipe book. This way you could find recipes or discover them yourself. Then you could go to the recipe book when cooking and auto make certain things to eat or drink, so it isn't so intrusive.

Agreed. Without weapon breaking the game would have just consisted of getting that one OP weapon, and then easily wrecking every enemy you encounter. It would have made combat boring. Instead we are forced to improvise, and use the environment. Especially on hard mode. 

Cerebralbore101 said:

Agreed. Without weapon breaking the game would have just consisted of getting that one OP weapon, and then easily wrecking every enemy you encounter. It would have made combat boring. Instead we are forced to improvise, and use the environment. Especially on hard mode. 

I think people who think weapon durability should be removed have not considered the consequences.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.