By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - X019 was dissapointing, let's discuss that.

Wasnt that bad. Could ve been worse. Abysmal, or top cringe, is the preceding PR hype. "Gonna be teh best evar! Over 9000 gaems!"

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network
Radek said:

This is not a bait and please don't turn this into a flame war, let's discuss in civil manner, thanks!

Question to the mods, can we put this sentence at the end of every thread of this nature, to make it look like we're more naive than pathetically indoctrinated to a particular company?

Asking for a friend.

My thoughts.

1) Perhaps they've realized that their is a market for games with actual art styles rather than realism. Nintendo scores tons of money from this market. Why can't Microsoft?

2) just because something is cartoony doesn't mean it won't be graphically breathtaking with CGI and cinematics. Everwild and the bugs life game look utterly amazing!

3) Even if they are lower budget than ps games, maybe they are holding off on their bigger guns until their next device so it can stand against the ps5.

You clearly had false expectations. But that's your fault and your fault only.
We're at the end of the gen and it was announced that no Scarlett stuff would be shown. Why would you expect MS to announce high profile X1 games then? Everything of that caliber would've been announced a long time ago.
For the same reason they're saving all Scarlett games for E3 or a respective Scarlett reveal show.
Grounded is made by a second Obsidian team consisting of around 12 people. It's just a little side project.
Bleeding Edge was in development long before MS bought them. The Hellblade team is working on something else.

MS showed how much they are after Japanese games, finally getting ports of Kingdom Hearts HD remasters, three Yakuza games (day one on Game Pass) and all mainline FF games on Game Pass plus finally working on a port of FFXIV.
Also we got lots of release dates for Bleeding Edge, Wasteland 3, Halo MCC on PC, Halo Reach (plus being included in Game Pass unlike ODST) and Minecraft Dungeons.
3 new MS exclusives (Grounded, Everwild and Tell Me Why)

Not sure how much more one could expect from a show that isn't E3.

Alot of it felt like it had the "same" vibe.
Sony gets called out for makeing alot of 3rd person over the shoulder games, that are single player focused.

Xbox currently feels like it has alot of cartoony, indie budgeted, multiplayer focused games.
it was lacking that thing that really stood out and wow'd you.

Around the Network
Radek said:
Ah man... Xbox 360 was such an epic console, I could actually make a tribute thread dedicated to it... Xbox One will go down as the worst successor though...

I didn't watch the show so I don't really have an opinion. I do kinda think that the Xbox 360 was the best console ever, though--- and before that I actually hated the Xbox brand. I love the Xbox One as well. Probably my most played console this gen. I'm just quoting you because i want you to make a "Worst successor" thread. 

Which console was the biggest fail coming off of a successful predecessor?

I was excited to hear they're getting all these games that was currently only on Playstation but a lot of them just ended up being on gamepass so I felt that wasn't quite the same lol

I mean, it could have been worse and they could have announced nothing. I’m a little disappointed in the obsidian game, but it is just a side project from a small team of like 15 people. The majority of the studio is working on other stuff. I’m sure the next Xbox will get a proper rpg from them.

I agree Xbox one has been a disappointment, but the company seems to be making the right moves to start the next generation on the right foot. It is too late right the ship on the Xbox one anyways.

Radek said:

So, I actually tuned it on Twitch to watch the long hyped X019 and the show was simply abysmal, cartonny looking games all over on the most powerful console on Earth? Dissapointing survival game from Obsidian, this is not what Obsidian fans wanted... Bleeding Edge instead of something like sequel to Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice. Overall all indie games, huge ass Game Pass infomercial, nothing of a caliber of Death Stranding, TLOU 2 or Ghost of Tsushima, this is not what gamers look at and Say! Damn forget the PS5 next year I'm getting Scarlett! 

It's time to stop defending Microsoft, it's time to complain and let them know we don't like the direction they are going, the direction of pumping out AA games like Grounded and Bleedeing Edge to keep people to buy cheap Game Pass, what happened to huge story games like Sony's doing? You know high production values?

None of this makes any sense.

1) Both Bleeding Edge and Grounded were in development before Microsoft acquired them and are games that Obsidian and Ninja Theory chose to work on. Microsoft promised full creative freedom to their new teams, something they've quite clearly stuck by. So what do you think they should do in this situation? Should they go up to Obsidian and tell them "Yeah no get that shit outta here and get to work on The Outer Worlds 2" or Ninja Theory with "yeah that's cool and all but our fans want more single player games so cancel that shit rn and get to work"? Then the argument would just switch to "See Microsoft ISN'T keeping their word and already forcing control on their new studios, man that new IP would have probably been great". It's quite obvious at this point that no matter what Microsoft does it's a lose-lose situation for them in some people's eyes. 

2) "Huge ass Game Pass infomercial".... you realize every event at its core is technically an infomercial right? When Sony and Nintendo are showing you games at E3 they aren't doing it just because they want to. Don't get me wrong, I do think all 3 companies have passion for the industry, but ultimately they want to entice you to buy their games and systems. When Sony hosts their PS5 reveal it's not gonna just because they wanted to have some fun, they wanna convince you to buy the damn console. How is it any different or negative now just because it's with Game Pass? They have a product so they're gonna talk about it to show you why you should buy it. 

3) Literally what says that Microsoft's games are going to be "cheap AA game pass filler"? Because if you actually even listened to what Matt Booty said on stage today it's the complete opposite. He said how a lot of the studios have multiple teams which is why you're able to see smaller passion projects come out at the same time as the huge bigger games. Grounded is made by 13 people...

4) "Obsidian fans didn't want this" Speak for yourself, phrases like this have always been dumb because it's like saying "i'm not personally interested in this, so therefore nobody else can be". YOU can personally not be interested, and that's fine, but I and plenty of other people am interested in it. I like seeing developers try new things and this is a creative twist on a different genre for them. Saying "people didn't want this" is like when people say "who asked for this" whenever a strange concept for a game comes up like Mario + Rabbids, it's a dumb statement because literally every game can be prefaced with 'who asked for this" by someone. Horizon: Zero Dawn "A game where you shoot robots with a bow? who asked for this" for example. If developers only ever made games based on 'what people asked for" we would literally never get anything new. And the fact that people who claim to be Obsidian fans are already trying to shit on Obsidian or their new game because they dared to try a different thing for once is really disgusting, and I bet these are the same people who complain about the lack of new ideas in the industry as well. 

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 15 November 2019

Flight simulator was the only exiting thing on the event. Rare new title looks promising, maybe. The rest was meh.