By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Flilix said:
Hint 1: Lots of heights and climbing.
Hint 2: This franchise went open world last year.

Hint 1: No cartoony graphics.

Hint 1: There's not actually a number in the title.

38.  Spider-Man

34.  Zelda: Twilight Princess

33.  Super Smash Bros Wii U

#33 and #34 are correct!!

#38 is not.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
Landale_Star said:

Perfect Dark

A fair guess, but I don't believe Perfect Dark was ever supposed to have a male protagonist in early development. So, Perfect Dark is incorrect.

I also have never played it. It's one of those have-to-play classics I never played; like I also never played Final Fantasy VII. At some point I should get those games and play them all.

We've all got those classic games that we really should have played but just haven't. I'm a huge fan of JRPGs, especially Square, but I've never played more than an hour of Chrono Trigger. I also really liked the first Half Life but after getting The Orange Box, I just played Portal and the intro to Half Life 2. Two games, widely regarded as classics, that I'll probably really enjoy. I even own them, but I just never feel like playing them...I'll have to force myself, one day.

S.Peelman said:
#32: This game was supposed to have a male protagonist at first, like most other games, but to set it apart and not make it seem too much like the gadget spy-movie franchise this takes it's inspiration from, the protagonist was made a female.

No One Lives Forever?

#36 - Castlevania Circle of the Moon - GBA

I'm not a fan of Koji Igarashi's games, so this being one of the two Metroidvania he wasn't involved with, makes for one of my favorite games from the series, mainly because it doesn't abandon the element I love the most about Castlevania, the challenge, while still being mixed with good exploration pacing from the Metroid style, also features a very good card system that rewards you with various perks in combat, an amazing soundtrack that ranges from new to great remixes from past games and the best Dracula fight to ever grace the series, this is one amazing adventure.

#35 - Castlevania Rondo of Blood - TG-16

The good design of Maria Renard, that is all.

Also The Den.

Mnementh said:

As I currently haven't time to create the description post I can use the time to give another hint, than I have some catch-up to do:

a) Fight with knights, mages, elves, thieves or… merfolk?

b) Control your armies one turn at a time.

c) Turn-based tactics on a hexgrid with units able to level up and turn into advanced classes.

d) Got updates and extensions for more than 10 years.

e) Fight in a Tale of two brothers Under the burning Suns for The heir to the throne.

f) More than 15 official single-player campaigns, many multiplayer maps and tons of user-generated content.

#34 Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Dragon Quest Builders

#33 Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Pikmin

#32 Guessed by Farsala: Final Fantasy X

I went ahead and had Google help me with #35 (since there are 6 clues and no one has gotten it yet).  I think it's The Battle for Wesnoth.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

As I currently haven't time to create the description post I can use the time to give another hint, than I have some catch-up to do:

a) Fight with knights, mages, elves, thieves or… merfolk?

b) Control your armies one turn at a time.

c) Turn-based tactics on a hexgrid with units able to level up and turn into advanced classes.

d) Got updates and extensions for more than 10 years.

e) Fight in a Tale of two brothers Under the burning Suns for The heir to the throne.

f) More than 15 official single-player campaigns, many multiplayer maps and tons of user-generated content.

#34 Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Dragon Quest Builders

#33 Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Pikmin

#32 Guessed by Farsala: Final Fantasy X

I went ahead and had Google help me with #35 (since there are 6 clues and no one has gotten it yet).  I think it's The Battle for Wesnoth.

Yes it is. The names of the campaigns in hint e were intended to make it googleable. Still you had luck, because I planned to reveal it earlier, but just didn't had the time to write the post. So you got another one.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Here are some clues for my next few games.

30.  This popular series had let you choose your character before, but this is the first time where 4 different people could also play at the same time.

29.  Probably the biggest selling point of this PC RPG is the toolset which lets you build your own adventures or play those others have built.  This is the first game in the series.

28.  Mode 7 graphics are one thing that originally made this game impress, but the playstyle for this franchise is nothing like this game any more.

27.  A similar style PS4 game came out last year, but I still prefer this PS2 game that was based more on a movie.

26.  This MMO got a numbered entry in the franchise even though every previous entry was a single player game.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

30.  This popular series had let you choose your character before, but this is the first time where 4 different people could also play at the same time.

29.  Probably the biggest selling point of this PC RPG is the toolset which lets you build your own adventures or play those others have built.  This is the first game in the series.

28.  Mode 7 graphics are one thing that originally made this game impress, but the playstyle for this franchise is nothing like this game any more.

27.  A similar style PS4 game came out last year, but I still prefer this PS2 game that was based more on a movie.

26.  This MMO got a numbered entry in the franchise even though every previous entry was a single player game.

#30: Gauntlet?

#29: Does it have a Switch-release soon… Neverwinter Nights

#26: Dragon Quest X

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Farsala said:
More hints.

36- Go on a winged lizard journey, to save the world. In this game the hero is accused of evil, but in reality he is the true savior. It was first released in 2017.

35- This entry in a long standing series featured a character for the first time that could make explosions with his sword.

34- Who knew that there are whole worlds behind paintings?

Reveal

36- Dragon Quest XI

As much as I enjoy JRPGs and the Dragon Quest series, I never thought this game would get this high on my list. But the truth is I enjoyed this game immensely. When I first bought the game I played and played until completion. After which, I went straight for the platinum. This game has a pretty good story, soundtrack and gameplay. Globetrotting across the different zones was quite enjoyable with many different monsters, and I could skip any monster if I wanted to or kill them for fun. Leveling up, and Choosing the skills that I wanted felt extremely impactful with the skill tree. Later when fighting the super bosses, if I chose to fight the bosses normally I would lose. This is a good thing, because if I found the optimal buffs and combos for my party, I would do massive damage to the super bosses and make them significantly easier. I think this is how super bosses should be in JRPGs.

35- Super Smash Bros. Melee  -Unguessed

The character in question is Roy, my favorite character. Although objectively not as good as the top tier, I enjoyed getting to know the best combos and spacing for Roy. The other characters were also fun and many many hours were spent with friends destroying each other. Although the Gamecube controller often had issues, when they were in pristine shape it was the best controller to use for Smash Bros.

34- Super Mario 64

Not much needs to be said about this 3d platformer. The first level set the stage for what this amazing game is all about. Each painting found means a whole new world to explore and grabbing all the stars. Good music and the mechanics were good for its time.

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

#30: Gauntlet?

#29: Does it have a Switch-release soon… Neverwinter Nights

#26: Dragon Quest X

29 is correct.  The others are not.  Which is funny, because I would have thought 29 would be guessed last.

And yeah, I am looking at all those D&D PC games coming to Switch.  Those all fall into the category of "want to play, but there are also a ton of other games I want to play too".  I've never had a chance to play Planescape Torment, but I've always wanted to. And all of the other games in that Baldur's Gate-like line look really good too.  But I still haven't gotten Link's Awakening or Mario Maker 2 yet.  I instead chose to play Dragon Quest XI, and I'm still in the middle of it.  It's a really good game, but damn is it long.

Anyway, I'm not sure how they will handle Neverwinter Nights on the Switch.  The campaign that comes with it is only so-so, and definitely not as good as the Baldur's Gate games.  What I really liked about Neverwinter Nights is all of the levels that the players made.  As long as you limit yourself to the top 5-10% the levels were extremely good.  I'm doubtful if those will be made available on the Switch.