By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Here are some clues for my next few games.

30.  This popular series had let you choose your character before, but this is the first time where 4 different people could also play at the same time.

29.  Probably the biggest selling point of this PC RPG is the toolset which lets you build your own adventures or play those others have built.  This is the first game in the series.

28.  Mode 7 graphics are one thing that originally made this game impress, but the playstyle for this franchise is nothing like this game any more.

27.  A similar style PS4 game came out last year, but I still prefer this PS2 game that was based more on a movie.

26.  This MMO got a numbered entry in the franchise even though every previous entry was a single player game.

28. Super Mario Kart?

26. FFXI?

Around the Network
Hiku said:

#35 - A map of the first area of the game became a meme, because much of the game was designed this way. So people called it a ***** simulator.
This is one of the direct sequels to that game, featuring the fewest number of playable characters in the series.
Hint #2 - What I like the most about it is a very rare gameplay mechanic that was also in Majora's Mask.

#34 - The first entry in a series with four numbered entries, and one without a number. Sniper rifles are very good in this series.
Hint #2 - The latest one, with the number 4 on the cover, was released worldwide in 2018.

#33 - Geese and Akuma are in this game. It's the second entry in that series.
Hint #2 - This is the true love we're makin'.

#32 - Punching a boulder.

35. Lightning Returns FFXIII?

33. Capcom vs SNK 2?

32. Resident Evil 5?

Landale_Star said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Here are some clues for my next few games.

30.  This popular series had let you choose your character before, but this is the first time where 4 different people could also play at the same time.

29.  Probably the biggest selling point of this PC RPG is the toolset which lets you build your own adventures or play those others have built.  This is the first game in the series.

28.  Mode 7 graphics are one thing that originally made this game impress, but the playstyle for this franchise is nothing like this game any more.

27.  A similar style PS4 game came out last year, but I still prefer this PS2 game that was based more on a movie.

26.  This MMO got a numbered entry in the franchise even though every previous entry was a single player game.

28. Super Mario Kart?

26. FFXI?

28. no

26. Correct!

32. You never really die in this game, but if you get a game over, you get turned into a plant-animal hybrid.

31. A dethroned king becomes a pirate and kidnaps your uncle.

30. Blasphemy time. Our gracious host especially would regard the placing of this title on the list above another game to be an abomination.

Flilix said:
Hint 1: Lots of heights and climbing.
Hint 2: This franchise went open world last year.

Hint 1: No cartoony graphics.

Hint 1: There's not actually a number in the title.

Did anyone guess 38 yet? Is it Assassin's Creed?

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Landale_Star said:

35. Lightning Returns FFXIII?

33. Capcom vs SNK 2?

32. Resident Evil 5?

All correct.

Just #34 remaining.

Is 34 Valkyria Chronicles?

New hints.

33- Go into the sea of space and visit new worlds. New characters get recruited. Although the main character is from a scientifically advanced planet, he needs to create new items with simple crafting from a less advanced planet to become stronger. Combat involves quick attacks or slow attacks that break guards, with many available combos.

32- Unlike most games in this genre, this game primarily takes place in an urban city. This game features guns, but the ammo is limited as well as the damage. The characters you can recruit can also become more than just friends.

31- This sequel came very late in the system's lifetime, but it shouldn't be ignored. To completely master this game required a lot of gameplay knowledge at the time. It did not feature an infamous antagonist and instead had a unique antagonist.

Farsala said:
New hints.

33- Go into the sea of space and visit new worlds. New characters get recruited. Although the main character is from a scientifically advanced planet, he needs to create new items with simple crafting from a less advanced planet to become stronger. Combat involves quick attacks or slow attacks that break guards, with many available combos.

32- Unlike most games in this genre, this game primarily takes place in an urban city. This game features guns, but the ammo is limited as well as the damage. The characters you can recruit can also become more than just friends.

31- This sequel came very late in the system's lifetime, but it shouldn't be ignored. To completely master this game required a lot of gameplay knowledge at the time. It did not feature an infamous antagonist and instead had a unique antagonist.

33. Star Ocean Til the End of Time?

Landale_Star said:
Farsala said:
New hints.

33. Star Ocean Til the End of Time?

Yes!

33. Final Fantasy V

First Played: 2002

Times Completed: 7

After FFVII established Final Fantasy in European markets and FFVIII/FFIX proved it wasn't some kind of fluke, Square began rolling out their older titles on PS1, which is where I first played them all, except FFIII. Even though I enjoyed all of them, there were two that stood out to me more than the others. Final Fantasy V is sometimes my favourite 2D FF game, it really just depends how I’m feeling but it’s always either this or FFVI. The job system is my favourite part of the game and it allows for a lot of variety and I like to replay either specific setups or sometimes with randomly picked jobs. FFV was also ported to the GBA and is an excellent version of the game, fixing some of the earlier translation errors and adding new content. It was later ported to Steam and mobile, but unfortunately it, and FFVI, never received the PSP ports that I really wanted.