By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

35. A) The age of exploration has dawned upon the world.

B) They can’t save the world from inside a CD player.

C) Explore the skies in this Dreamcast game, later ported to the GameCube.

32. A) Help a mime beat up a clown

B) Call him a treasure hunter, if you want to keep your lungs.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

#36 Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Cadence of Hyrule

a) Fight with knights, mages, elves, thieves or… merfolk?

b) Control your armies one turn at a time.

#34 Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Dragon Quest Builders

#33 Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Pikmin

a) Start your adventure 1000 years later.

32  Breath of the Wild?

You obviously haven't played BotW for a while, there it's only 100 years.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Landale_Star said:
SanAndreasX said:

Correct

SanAndreasX said:

Tales of Symphonia

Correct.

Landale_Star said:

35. Skies of Arcadia. 

32. Final Fantasy VI for sure. I thought it might have been based on the clown (Kefka), but Gogo (the mime) didn't have a lot of storyline in FF6.

SanAndreasX said:
Landale_Star said:

Correct

Tales of Symphonia

Correct.

Landale_Star said:

35. Skies of Arcadia. 

32. Final Fantasy VI for sure. I thought it might have been based on the clown (Kefka), but Gogo (the mime) didn't have a lot of storyline in FF6.

Both correct, I wanted to make the first clue for FFVI a bit vague since it was right next to FFV.

SanAndreasX said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Wrong.

Hint: You start the game with maximum powers, but lost them after grabbing a sword.

God of War II.

Correct!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
Flilix said:
I have some catching up to do.

Hint 1: Can it sell 5 million copies in Japan?

Hint 1: Lots of heights and climbing.

Hint 1: London.

Hint 1: Pills.

#35:
Hint 1: Go down the river together.

#35: Super Mario Party

Correct!

SanAndreasX said:

HylianSwordsman said:
Alright, I'll try my hand at the whole hints/guessing game. My next three are:

35. A space shooter that was a remake of basically the same space shooter from a previous generation, and got two more remakes of it on later generations.

Going with Star Fox 64.

34. A Nintendo game that made the jump to 3D for its franchise in a way that pretty much felt like it lost the entire appeal of the 2D games, but which was still a very enjoyable game in its own right.

If it isn't Mario 64, then I'll say it's Metroid Prime.

33. The game where one of Nintendo's greatest heroes comes out as a furry.

Twilight Princess?

Sometime over the next week I will commit a horrible blasphemy with my list. Heads might explode, I don't know, but there's no turning back now.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
HylianSwordsman said:
Alright, I'll try my hand at the whole hints/guessing game. My next three are:

35. A space shooter that was a remake of basically the same space shooter from a previous generation, and got two more remakes of it on later generations.

34. A Nintendo game that made the jump to 3D for its franchise in a way that pretty much felt like it lost the entire appeal of the 2D games, but which was still a very enjoyable game in its own right.

33. The game where one of Nintendo's greatest heroes comes out as a furry.

Sometime over the next week I will commit a horrible blasphemy with my list. Heads might explode, I don't know, but there's no turning back now.

35. Galaga?

34.  Super Mario 64?

33.  Super Mario Bros. 3?

35. SanAndreasX got 35, it's Star Fox 64. SF64 was basically a remake of the SNES Star Fox, and later got a pretty exact remake with the 3DS remake, and another "basically a remake" in Star Fox Zero.

34. Super Mario 64 is already on my list, number 39, just behind Super Mario World. Metroid Prime is significantly higher on the list. So both wrong. I guess it's somewhat controversial because some people would disagree and say it was a bad game, but I still enjoyed it, it just was nothing like its SNES predecessor, even in spirit. So how about another hint?

Hint 2:

Spock: Captain, why does humanity continue to try against impossible odds, when a logical person would have no such faith to Grant?

Kirk: Hope.

33. Twilight Princess, SanAndreasX got that one too. Though Super Mario Bros. 3 certainly fits the hint even better.

Darashiva said:

Suikoden II (PlayStation 1)

Change From Last Year: NEW

I finally got around to playing Suikoden II earlier this year after having bought it something like five years ago, and I'm glad I did because it is an excellent JRPG that rivals many of the best games in the genre. However, the elements that separate Suikoden II from most other JRPGs, or even games in general, is its smart and well-written politically charged story and interesting characters the story centers on. Everything else about the game is good as well, but it's those two things that push the game to the upper echelon of RPGs.

Great pick! I played this this year too. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Sometimes how to recruit characters was too cryptic for my tastes, but the story, graphics, and music were all excellent. 

Mnementh said:
#39 Descent
guessed by The_Liquid_Laser
platform DOS
release year 1995
developer/publisher Parallax Software/Interplay
genre first person shooter, space flight simulation
links Wikipedia
play in browser (archive.org)
past years 2018: #49
2017: #46

After Doom revolutionized the 3D games many games tried to push the envelope. Descent took a direction only few others took: a fully 3D-experience by setting it into space and allowing to move and turn in each direction. This was called six degrees of freedom.

This makes controlling a bit difficult, not because the controls are complicated, but because you have to get in a mindset of full movement freedom and the ability to keep track of your position. So the challenges aren't the enemy robots alone, finding the right path without getting lost is a challenge in itself. And extremely satisfying if you're able to pull it off.

This is demonstrated each level, as you have to find the exit after destroying the reactor which explodes after that. You have to reach the exit in time before the mine explodes and destroys you too. As navigating is a challenge, this meant I died quite a few times trying to find my way to the exit.

As you can go not only left and right, but also up and down, the level design can quite intricate. To support you, the game gives you a freely movable automap realized with wireframe models.

Other than the level-design and navigation challenge the game features more or less all that Doom had set as a precedent: destroy the enemies (in this case mining robot drones that were infected with a virus that made them rebel), finding keycards to open color-coded doors, collecting weapons, ammunition and items that float around. As an additional feature you can rescue the human staff, that is taken hostage by the robots, for extra points.

The story is simple. In the future (the year 2169) companies have started mining on different celestial objects in the solar system. For this many mining robots are used. A virus overtakes these robots, so that they rebel against their human owners. You are sent to end this danger.

To play it today, you can use Dosbox as usual to emulate DOS. That works well. If you don't own the game, you can as so often rely on GOG, where it already packaged into a Dosbox-emulation. Also you can play for free in the browser on archive.org, emulated in Javascript. As usual with this browser emulation, your performance may have issues, depending on your system and your browser. As I just saw, there is also a project called DXX-Rebirth, which provides a modern engine for the Descent game files. I haven't tried it yet, but seemingly it improves resolution and uses modern graphic card features.

As DXX Rebirth offers clearer visuals, I use a video from that project. The original game is the same, but with lower resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ8IqaxBR6I

I keep forgetting about this one, and you always post it. Note to self. Get around to playing this one!

HylianSwordsman said:
SanAndreasX said:

The_Liquid_Laser said:

35. Galaga?

34.  Super Mario 64?

33.  Super Mario Bros. 3?

35. SanAndreasX got 35, it's Star Fox 64. SF64 was basically a remake of the SNES Star Fox, and later got a pretty exact remake with the 3DS remake, and another "basically a remake" in Star Fox Zero.

34. Super Mario 64 is already on my list, number 39, just behind Super Mario World. Metroid Prime is significantly higher on the list. So both wrong. I guess it's somewhat controversial because some people would disagree and say it was a bad game, but I still enjoyed it, it just was nothing like its SNES predecessor, even in spirit. So how about another hint?

Hint 2:

Spock: Captain, why does humanity continue to try against impossible odds, when a logical person would have no such faith to Grant?

33. Twilight Princess, SanAndreasX got that one too. Though Super Mario Bros. 3 certainly fits the hint even better.

34. Donkey Kong 64? I'm guessing that since you capitalised Grant (Grant Kirkhope did the music for DK 64)

Landale_Star said:
HylianSwordsman said:

Hint 2:

34. Donkey Kong 64? I'm guessing that since you capitalised Grant (Grant Kirkhope did the music for DK 64)

Correct, and that's exactly what I was going for with that hint, Grant Kirkhope, the composer.