By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

The_Liquid_Laser said:
S.Peelman said:

Almost. More or less, it's not almost as in the answer is "Super Breakout", but "almost" as in it's from the same era, by the same publisher and a port of the arcade game was released on this publisher's console.

#50 (Hint 2): Breakout has even more clones than my game, but the name of the clone with the quote I'm talking about just changed the word 'Missile' to 'Patriot'.

Missile Command (or maybe Patriot Command?)

Missile Command is correct.

On the Mac I was first introduced to this through a game called Patriot Command on some demo disc, which is memorable because it shouts ‘Game Over Man Game Over‘ when you lose, but years after I played the real thing, and for some reason, in this case, nothing can beat the real thing.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 12 November 2019

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
TruckOSaurus said:
#50: One of the playable characters' name is the roman numeral for the game's number in the series.

Here's my hint again. 

Final Fantasy VII?

I don’t really know but that sounds like a game that could have a character named Seven.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Sounds fun

Here's mine:
#50: A fighting game exclusive to PC
#49: The second game in a series of strategy games
#48: A visually very blocky, but fondly remembered fighting game and often cited best of it's series

49: I could guess every strategy game series’ second game, but let’s just name one. I’ll go with Warcraft II Tides of Darkness

50: Virtua Fighter?

S.Peelman said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Here's my hint again. 

Final Fantasy VII?

I don’t really know but that sounds like a game that could have a character named Seven.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Sounds fun

Here's mine:
#49: The second game in a series of strategy games
#48: A visually very blocky, but fondly remembered fighting game and often cited best of it's series

49: I could guess every strategy game series’ second game, but let’s just name one. I’ll go with Warcraft II Tides of Darkness

50: Virtua Fighter?

49 is correct. Yeah, couldn't tell much more unless spoiling everything.

50 is wrong, though. Also, wasn't Virtua Fighter also on Saturn or 32X?

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
Cool.

#50 - A classic game where you walk and shoot your way. It can't be that hard... Right?

Metal Slug! :)

SanAndreasX said:
The bottom of my list is going to be more interesting than the top of my list, I'm afraid. The bottom is going to have a lot of off the wall stuff, the top is going to have more established hits.

Hints for my next few (I already have #50 up)

49. An early first-person modular sci-fi/fantasy RPG for 8-bit computers (no, it's not a Wizardry game).
48. The first game in the final trilogy of this RPG series, you have to solve a murder mystery
47. Blasting demons on a stylized Earth with a double barreled shotgun
46. An ex-convict, his dog, a princess, and a kid start a vigilante group
45. The very first of one of the best action-adventure video game series of all time. The latest game in this series was made to recapture the spirit of the very first game.

#49: Ultima?

#47: Doom 2: Hell on Earth

#46: Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

#45: original Zelda?

Last edited by Mnementh - on 12 November 2019

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Sounds fun

Here's mine:

#50: M.U.G.E.N.?

#48: Virtua Fighter?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

#- 50 Stamina based game

# - 49 A Classic beat 'em Up

# - 48 A turn based roguelike

# - 47 A obscure Run and Gun

S.Peelman said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Missile Command (or maybe Patriot Command?)

Missile Command is correct.

On the Mac I was first introduced to this through a game called Patriot Command on some demo disc, which is memorable because it shouts ‘Game Over Man Game Over‘ when you lose, but years after I played the real thing, and for some reason, in this case, nothing can beat the real thing.

I actually played the arcade version of Missile Command for the first time about a week ago.  Of course, I owned the Atari 2600 version as a kid and played it a ton of times.  It is true that you can't beat the real thing though.  It's a lot harder than the Atari version but also a lot cooler.

JimmyFantasy said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
Cool.

#50 - A classic game where you walk and shoot your way. It can't be that hard... Right?

Metal Slug! :)

Close, but nope.

Nier (PlayStation 3)

Change from last year: -1

Nier is a game that achieves greatness through pretty much everything except its gameplay, which is functional, but lacks anything to make it truly stand out from other action RPGs. However, the story, characters, and music are easily among the absolute best that I have ever seen or heard in any video game I've ever played, and for that it more than deserves its spot on my list, at least for one more year.

It is just another example of just how good Yoko Taro is as a game designer and storyteller, and the fact that he has finally reached a wider audience with the sequel to this game makes me very happy, as I've been a fan of his work since the release of Drakengard on the PS2 all the way back in 2003.