By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

I've missed a couple of days, but I'm dropping hints for my next four games at once:

#47 - One of the most original games at Gamecube's launch, this game about a little man crashing on a planet of carrot people received an excellent Wii port.
#46 - Originating back on the PSX, this RPG where the protagonist has a tail launched earlier this year on Switch.
#45 - One of the most unique game designs ever, this ball of joy was a sleeper hit on the PS2, and came to Switch last year.
#44 - A crossover between the most famous monster-catching franchise, and one of the longest-running TRPG franchises, an incredible feat of design that is one of the best games on the DS.

Last edited by RingoGaSuki - on 15 November 2019

Around the Network
RingoGaSuki said:

I've missed a couple of days, but I'm dropping hints for my next four games at once:

#47 - One of the most original games at Gamecube's launch, this game about a little man crashing on a planet of carrot people received an excellent Wii port.
#46 - Originating back on the PSX, this RPG where the protagonist has a tail launched earlier this year on Switch.
#45 - One of the most unique game designs ever, this ball of joy was a sleeper hit on the PS2, and came to Switch last year.
#44 - A crossover between the most famous monster-catching franchise, and one of the longest-running TRPG franchises, an incredible feat of design that is one of the best games on the DS.

#47 - Pikmin

#46 - Final Fantasy IX

#45 - Katamari Damacy

#44 - Er...Pokémon Mystery Dungeon?

forest-spirit said:
RingoGaSuki said:

#47 - Pikmin

#46 - Final Fantasy IX

#45 - Katamari Damacy

You got the first three, #44 is something else though!

RingoGaSuki said:
forest-spirit said:

#47 - Pikmin

#46 - Final Fantasy IX

#45 - Katamari Damacy

Yeah, I was quite sure Mystery Dungeon was the wrong answer. But that crossover game does sound familiar, I just can't remember what it's called.

Edit:

Wait, is it Pokémon Conquest?

forest-spirit said:
RingoGaSuki said:

Yeah, I was quite sure Mystery Dungeon was the wrong answer. But that crossover game does sound familiar, I just can't remember what it's called.

Edit:

Wait, is it Pokémon Conquest?

Correct!

Around the Network

#46 - The King of Fighters XIII - PC

Peak 2D Fighting

A complete package for any casual to the genre, a nice story mode with a good amount of branching paths to end the Ash Crimson saga, on top of your usual arcade mode with ending for every team and special teams. A couple of unlockables characters, plenty of extra color palettes on the very good customization mode, your typical versus options, trials, survival and time attack. Unique dialogues between every character, including mirror matches during Arcade and exclusive conversations in story mode. There is plenty of replay value to be had in XIII.

Gameplay is typical KoF stuff, you got your 3 vs 3 teams, your power gauge and now a hyper drive gauge, for EX special moves and cancelling. Combat is super polished and satisfying, fast paced, pretty much SNK at their best like with many other of their classic fighting games.

I'll be a graphics whore for this particular game, because really what pushes XIII for me above other SNK titles and fighting games from other companies, is its presentation, well done sprites beat 3D fighting games any day of the week for me and with XIII on top of being a really fucking good game, is also visually impressive, from the dynamic stages to the characters, the attention to detail is painfully great, just bringing these characters to HD, is so amazing.

And its sound design is good old SNK, great sound effects that gives that feel, that punch to every attack and an incredible soundtrack, on top of being able to listen to all the new songs, you also get a selection of older tracks from previous KoF games.

Is just, excellent on all fronts and if we can't have the super detailed 2D sprites ever again, I'm at least happy, that they went out with a bang, with the game that is King of Fighters XIII, franchise still the king of the genre for me and this game the best of the bunch.

Cool thread. I think I'll just read what everyone else's top 50 are and just sit this out. Fun thread and some good early lists.

#46 Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
guessed by Bofferbrauer2
platform Switch
release year 2017
developer/publisher Ubisoft
genre turn-based tactics with roleplay-elements
links Wikipedia
past years 2018: #34

It was early rumoured, that there would be a crossover between Mario and Rabbids. That didn't sound exciting, both because the Rabbids franchise had taken a nosedive after greater titles on the Wii (look at the last entry in my list) and also, because I had a hard time imaging how these two franchises could be fused into something exciting. Well, someone in Ubisoft had a much better imagination than me.

It needed one presentation to completely turn me around. Not only showed they a genre I am very interested in, they showed actual good gameplay. And they also showed that the great humour of the Rabbids had returned to a good level. This was the presentation that turned my opinion around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpNDNzHR3N4

Well, gameplay wise it follows the formula of many tactics-game in the similar vein. Some elements are simplified to older entries like say the original UFO or Jagged Alliance, but they keep enough interesting stuff in it, to have deep demanding battles. And they add a variety of movement options, that make movement a joy and a very big tactical option. With team jumps, dashes, rabbit pipes and other stuff you can reach big areas of the battlefield and use it to position your team for bigger effect. With the skills that can be learned and special effects, you soon have a big arsenal of options available.

For story, the Rabbids offer their great humour, and in difference to games where the concept felt old (Rabbidsland for instance), this one has fresh and new ideas through the merger with the world of Mario. That is especially true for the Rabbids in your team. Usually Rabbids have no or not much distinguishable persona. There may be some types of Rabbids, but no individuals. But as the Rabbids here merged with characters from the Mario universe, we have unique personalities like Rabbids Peach, Rabbids Luigi and so on. And they did an excellent job of putting these personalities together in a great and funny way. Also you see diverse Rabbids interacting with the elements of Marios World, which is just great.

The greatest downside was this robot roomba thing named Beep-O, who was just unfun. It stands with this in the great tradition of tutorial/helper sidekicks that guide you through the gameplay but itself are uninteresting or even annoying. I think you all encountered these.

Overall this is a great game to play, fun and deep enough to keep you engaged. This was a great addition to Switch's library.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqH-iwA0ZmU

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

#45 Guessed by Jpcc86: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

a) The fourth game in a series about war.

b) Command a squad.

c) The squad has many characters that know each other, as they come from the same city.

a) Darkness has come over the land.

b) Help two troubled princesses that both lost their lands.

a) Very classical game, often copied and sequeled.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

#45 Guessed by Jpcc86: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

a) The fourth game in a series about war.

b) Command a squad.

c) The squad has many characters that know each other, as they come from the same city.

a) Darkness has come over the land.

b) Help two troubled princesses that both lost their lands.

a) Very classical game, often copied and sequeled.

#43 A Link Between Worlds

#42 Super Mario Bros?