By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

Ikaruga (Sega DC)

There are other games of this type, but none combine score and gameplay producing so much adrenaline with style, difficulty of level design its on point.

Around the Network

#49 - Searching for a treasure in Stone Age.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Here are my first few clues:

50   This GBA game is based on a very old Japanese manga.

Astro Boy?

49   I will be surprised if anyone gets this one, so here's about as easy as I can make the clue.  This is an early 80's arcade game where you extend your tongue through a maze to eat pellets as well as ants and worms.  At night a spider comes out, which is almost impossible to kill.

Anteater. I know about this one secondhand, as I played its best-known clone for home computers, Oil's Well, a lot.

47   This is an early 80's arcade game known for using a trackball to shoot different bugs.  

War of the Bugs, or Monsterous Manouvers in a Mushroom Maze? (Yes, that's the actual title of a video game, including the spelling.)

Also I want to add some honorable mentions for games I played since last year's list, but didn't quite make the top 50:

Valkyria Chronicles 4 - Extremely fun and a good story, but the first one is probably more memorable 

I loved this one, and I recently started playing again after I got unstuck from an area. The first game is one of my favorites of all time. I might put this one in my top 50.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Here are some more clues to my games:

50  a) This GBA game is based on a very old Japanese manga.
b)  The protagonist is both a robot and a boy.

49  a) I will be surprised if anyone gets this one, so here's about as easy as I can make the clue.  This is an early 80's arcade game where you extend your tongue through a maze to eat pellets as well as ants and worms.  At night a spider comes out, which is almost impossible to kill.
b)  There was a clone of this game called "Aardvark" on the Atari 2600.

48  a)  This may be the best looking (and best overall) 2D game on a console known for 3D games with now very dated graphics.
b)  The protagonist's name in this game is the main antagonist's name spelled backwards.

47  a)  This is an early 80's arcade game known for using a trackball to shoot different bugs.  
b)  If you are thinking of two possible games, this would be the first one.

46 a) This game makes great use of the Wii U gamepad by allowing one of the players to split up and still have their own screen.
b)  This game uses well known Nintendo characters, but was not developed by Nintendo.

50: Astro Boy?

49: Damn, I was gonna say Aardvark

48: ???

47: ???

46: That sounds familiar...

Mnementh said:

#47 Guessed by Agente42: Rabbids Go Home

a) Collect trash…

b) …in a shopping cart…

a) Turn based strategy game.

b) Weapons may have special effects like Bounce, Honey or Ink.

a) A seasoned adventurer shipwrecks on a cursed island.

46: Mario & Rabbits: Kingdom Battle

And that's turn-based tactics, not turn-based strategy (where you lead armies, not individuals)

45: Zak and Wiki?

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 13 November 2019

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Mnementh said:

#47 Guessed by Agente42: Rabbids Go Home

a) Collect trash…

b) …in a shopping cart…

a) Turn based strategy game.

b) Weapons may have special effects like Bounce, Honey or Ink.

46: Mario & Rabbits: Kingdom Battle

And that's turn-based tactics, not turn-based strategy (where you lead armies, not individuals)

45: Zak and Wiki?

Yes, to Mario+Rabbids. And I never really get the difference between strategy and tactics, sorry.

Zack and Wiki was my game #48, which was correctly guessed by TruckOSaurus. This one is a different game.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Jpcc86 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

48 is correct!  50 is not. 

Suikoden 2 is on my list of games that I've always wanted to play but haven't gotten around to yet.  In fact I haven't played any Suikoden games yet.  Maybe next year will be the year.

The 3D Suikodens look graphically dated today, but if Suikoden2 is ageless imo. I'd absolutely recommend it.

50 - Robopon 2 perhaps?

50 - incorrect.

I was thinking of starting with Suikoden 1, but maybe I ought to just skip to the one that several say is the greatest PS1 game ever.

SanAndreasX said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Here are my first few clues:

50   This GBA game is based on a very old Japanese manga.

Astro Boy?

49   I will be surprised if anyone gets this one, so here's about as easy as I can make the clue.  This is an early 80's arcade game where you extend your tongue through a maze to eat pellets as well as ants and worms.  At night a spider comes out, which is almost impossible to kill.

Anteater. I know about this one secondhand, as I played its best-known clone for home computers, Oil's Well, a lot.

47   This is an early 80's arcade game known for using a trackball to shoot different bugs.  

War of the Bugs, or Monsterous Manouvers in a Mushroom Maze? (Yes, that's the actual title of a video game, including the spelling.)

Also I want to add some honorable mentions for games I played since last year's list, but didn't quite make the top 50:

Valkyria Chronicles 4 - Extremely fun and a good story, but the first one is probably more memorable 

I loved this one, and I recently started playing again after I got unstuck from an area. The first game is one of my favorites of all time. I might put this one in my top 50.

50 - Correct!

49 - Correct!

47 - no, this game is not too obscure as long as you are familiar with early 80's arcade games.

Yeah, I love, love, love Valkyria Chronicles 1.  VC4 had gameplay that was at least as good, but I feel the first game had a better story.  Also the first one gets bonus points for how original it was when it was first released.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Here are some more clues to my games:

50  a) This GBA game is based on a very old Japanese manga.
b)  The protagonist is both a robot and a boy.

49  a) I will be surprised if anyone gets this one, so here's about as easy as I can make the clue.  This is an early 80's arcade game where you extend your tongue through a maze to eat pellets as well as ants and worms.  At night a spider comes out, which is almost impossible to kill.
b)  There was a clone of this game called "Aardvark" on the Atari 2600.

48  a)  This may be the best looking (and best overall) 2D game on a console known for 3D games with now very dated graphics.
b)  The protagonist's name in this game is the main antagonist's name spelled backwards.

47  a)  This is an early 80's arcade game known for using a trackball to shoot different bugs.  
b)  If you are thinking of two possible games, this would be the first one.

46 a) This game makes great use of the Wii U gamepad by allowing one of the players to split up and still have their own screen.
b)  This game uses well known Nintendo characters, but was not developed by Nintendo.

50: Astro Boy?

49: Damn, I was gonna say Aardvark

48: ???

47: ???

46: That sounds familiar...

50 - correct, but SanAndreasX guessed it first.

Mnementh said:

All I know is that it is most definitely not a Monkey Island game, because you would never put such a game so low on your list.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

All I know is that it is most definitely not a Monkey Island game, because you would never put such a game so low on your list.

You learned from past experience. I remember one year you must have guessed Monkey Island about 10 times (only slightly exaggerated) for different spots on my list, before it was actually it's turn.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

A bit of a strecht, but... Ys 8 Lacrimosa of Dana?