By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

Jpcc86 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Here are some more clues to my games:

50  a) This GBA game is based on a very old Japanese manga.
b)  The protagonist is both a robot and a boy.

48  a)  This may be the best looking (and best overall) 2D game on a console known for 3D games with now very dated graphics.
b)  The protagonist's name in this game is the main antagonist's name spelled backwards.

50 - Medabots

48 - Your first hint screams Suikoden 2, but its celarly Symphony of the Night. 

48 is correct!  50 is not. 

Suikoden 2 is on my list of games that I've always wanted to play but haven't gotten around to yet.  In fact I haven't played any Suikoden games yet.  Maybe next year will be the year.

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

46 a) This game makes great use of the Wii U gamepad by allowing one of the players to split up and still have their own screen.
b)  This game uses well known Nintendo characters, but was not developed by Nintendo.

Must be Hyrule Warriors.

Correct!

Around the Network
Player2 said:
Darashiva said:

I'll drop some hints for my next few games as well:

-A space-faring, pirate-themed PS2 JRPG by the studio behind Ni No Kuni and Professor Layton.

-Much like Final Fantasy, made by the creator of Final Fantasy, but under a different name.

-Link, Spawn, or Heihachi?

#47 - Rogue Galaxy

Yes.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
#49 Hint: The 3rd game in a loved Hack n' Slash series. You can use a Rocket Launcher in this game!

#48 Hint: This game appears on DS, and PS3. It only came to DS in Japan. The best Poke'mon game not named Poke'mon.

#47 Hint: The best NES game hands down! We got our first sneak peak of this game in a movie starring Fred Savage.

#47: Super Mario Bros 3

Try playing with the Power Glove. It's so bad ^^

Correct!

Jpcc86 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
#49 Hint: The 3rd game in a loved Hack n' Slash series. You can use a Rocket Launcher in this game!

#48 Hint: This game appears on DS, and PS3. It only came to DS in Japan. The best Poke'mon game not named Poke'mon.

#47 Hint: The best NES game hands down! We got our first sneak peak of this game in a movie starring Fred Savage.

49 - Devil May Cry 3??? The Kalina Ann is a rocket launcher... of sorts.

Yep. Lady's weapon in the game is the rocket launcher I was referring to. 

#49 Heretic
guessed by Jpcc86
platform DOS
release year 1994
developer/publisher Raven Software/id software
genre first person shooter
links Wikipedia
play in browser (archive.org)

Although I played in 90s I never actually played Heretic back then. I played Doom and heard there was a game based on the id tech engine named Heretic, but never actually had it in my hands. This year I closed this hole and played Heretic. And boy, it was a lot of fun.

I always (even back in the 90s) was feeling Doom had textures that were not very interesting, just brown, grey and green in seemingly random distribution. The levels built with it - looked not very realistic. Heretic did a much better job with that, walls looked like walls, the textures looked all differently and so the levels looked like something I can imagine as a castle or a dungeon or what the different levels resemble.

It keeps Dooms strengths though: brutal and satisfying combat, good music, interesting level design. I think it improves even a little on some of these parts. The levels feel more intricate, it has some brutal traps that totally get you on the wrong foot and can lead to a fast demise. Also looking for secrets is more fun because of the better textures that are actually different, so a different wall tile gives a good hint for a hidden door if you look for that.

It also has some minor technical improvements. Most importantly Heretic has items that you can cycle through and use in combat, like the Tome of Strength which improves for a certain time your attack, some bombs, wings for flying, an item morphing enemies into chicken and health potions you can save for later. It also has ambient sounds in addition to the music, like evil laughter and rattling of chains which improves a lot on the atmosphere.

It was a very enjoyable experience and I am happy to actually looked to get an old game which I missed back in the day.

The game must have been successful enough for developer Raven and publisher id, so it got a sequel in Hexen (the actual Heretic II came years later with Quake-engine). I probably should try Hexen next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUvSb0-12wk

Last edited by Mnementh - on 20 November 2019

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Close, but nope.

Contra?

Correct!

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

49  a) I will be surprised if anyone gets this one, so here's about as easy as I can make the clue.  This is an early 80's arcade game where you extend your tongue through a maze to eat pellets as well as ants and worms.  At night a spider comes out, which is almost impossible to kill.
b)  There was a clone of this game called "Aardvark" on the Atari 2600.

48  a)  This may be the best looking (and best overall) 2D game on a console known for 3D games with now very dated graphics.
b)  The protagonist's name in this game is the main antagonist's name spelled backwards.

49: Dig Dug (EDIT: nevermind, it’s not.)

48: Castlevania Symphony of the Night (EDIT: ..which has already been said. )

#47 Guessed by Agente42: Rabbids Go Home

a) Collect trash…

b) …in a shopping cart…

#46 Guessed by Bofferbrauer2: Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle

a) Turn based strategy game.

b) Weapons may have special effects like Bounce, Honey or Ink.

#45 Guessed by Jpcc86: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

a) A seasoned adventurer shipwrecks on a cursed island.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 13 November 2019

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Mnementh said: 

Link’s Awakening

S.Peelman said:
Mnementh said: 

Link’s Awakening

Nope.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Jpcc86 said:

50 - Medabots

48 - Your first hint screams Suikoden 2, but its celarly Symphony of the Night. 

48 is correct!  50 is not. 

Suikoden 2 is on my list of games that I've always wanted to play but haven't gotten around to yet.  In fact I haven't played any Suikoden games yet.  Maybe next year will be the year.

The 3D Suikodens look graphically dated today, but if Suikoden2 is ageless imo. I'd absolutely recommend it.

50 - Robopon 2 perhaps?