By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Here are some more clues to my games:

50  a) This GBA game is based on a very old Japanese manga.
b)  The protagonist is both a robot and a boy.

49  a) I will be surprised if anyone gets this one, so here's about as easy as I can make the clue.  This is an early 80's arcade game where you extend your tongue through a maze to eat pellets as well as ants and worms.  At night a spider comes out, which is almost impossible to kill.
b)  There was a clone of this game called "Aardvark" on the Atari 2600.

48  a)  This may be the best looking (and best overall) 2D game on a console known for 3D games with now very dated graphics.
b)  The protagonist's name in this game is the main antagonist's name spelled backwards.

47  a)  This is an early 80's arcade game known for using a trackball to shoot different bugs.  
b)  If you are thinking of two possible games, this would be the first one.

46 a) This game makes great use of the Wii U gamepad by allowing one of the players to split up and still have their own screen.
b)  This game uses well known Nintendo characters, but was not developed by Nintendo.

Weirdly, my reply from hours ago hasn't materialised, but since one of my guesses hasn't been said, as far as I can see, I'll say 47 is Centipede.

Around the Network

#48 高橋名人の冒険島 (Adventure Island) [NES]

This is one I never played growing up, despite it releasing all the way back in 1986, I only played it for the first time last year. You platform from one end of each course to the other whilst trying to maintain your depleting health meter and searching for the myriad of secrets hidden throughout the levels.  The gameplay is simple, but incredibly engrossing, and its BGM is fantastic, absolutely up there with Mario's. The game exudes an innate charm that made me want to play through numerous times, and so it easily earns its place on this list.

Last edited by RingoGaSuki - on 13 November 2019

49. Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4)

First Played: 2019

Times Completed: 1

I’ve never been very interested in Marvel, or superheroes in general, but I am a longtime fan of Insomniac Games and I trusted that at the very least, it would be a decent game. I was shocked at how much better it was than I expected. In fact, it’s one of the rare modern games that I’ve started and completed within about a week, as opposed to months or years. Not only is the game beautiful and the story compelling, but even just swinging around is fun and is a brilliant way to traverse the open world. The combat also has more depth than I expected from trailers and I think, after some time, this might climb a bit further up my list.

Time for a few more hints, pretty easy ones too.

11th title in a long running series, using Unreal Engine for the first time. Dragon Quest XI, guessed by Jpcc86

BOY! God of War (2018), guessed by BraLoD

It came on a 24 megabit cartridge. Super Metroid, guessed by S.Peelman

Last edited by Landale_Star - on 17 November 2019

Landale_Star said:

11th title in a long running series, using Unreal Engine for the first time.

47 - Dragon Quest XI?

Around the Network

OK, it took my a couple extra days to finalize my list. I'm not fully happy with it. @TruckOSaurus I look forward to seeing how much overlap we have this year :)

Hints for #50 and #49:

This game, the apogee in a long-running fighting series, really earned its title.

Be GLaD this sequel runs on your OS.

Landale_Star said:

49. Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4)

First Played: 2019

Times Completed: 1

I’ve never been very interested in Marvel, or superheroes in general, but I am a longtime fan of Insomniac Games and I trusted that at the very least, it would be a decent game. I was shocked at how much better it was than I expected. In fact, it’s one of the rare modern games that I’ve started and completed within about a week, as opposed to months or years. Not only is the game beautiful and the story compelling, but even just swinging around is fun and is a brilliant way to traverse the open world. The combat also has more depth than I expected from trailers and I think, after some time, this might climb a bit further up my list.

I almost added this myself. It's a fantastic game, and one of the few games that I platinumed. Just waiting for the sequel with a bit more variety to the missions, and less MJ stealth. 

Jpcc86 said:
Landale_Star said:

47 - Dragon Quest XI?

I knew it was too easy!

BraLoD said:
Landale_Star said:

BOY!

It came on a 24 megabit cartridge.

46. God of War (2018)

You got it.

BraLoD said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

OK, it took my a couple extra days to finalize my list. I'm not fully happy with it. @TruckOSaurus I look forward to seeing how much overlap we have this year :)

Hints for #50 and #49:

This game, the apogee in a long-running fighting series, really earned its title.

Be GLaD this sequel runs on your OS.

50. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

49. Portal 2

You’re good :)

Player2 said:

Jaicee said:

Try slightly more obscure! (And better.)

(I was kidding about being predictable. No one will guess it. But it'll be funny to watch people try! )

Further hint: it involves platforming.

Meow meow?

Good try, but that's WAY further up on my list!