Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Dragon Quest 11 on Switch, " a remarkably impressive port"

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

Sorry, but that's just not realistic; if it runs at 900p/30fps in actuality, there is simply no way the headroom is there for it to hit 1080p/60fps in its current form.

The fact is, just because something looks cartoony, doesn't mean it's not demanding on the hardware. If it wasn't demanding, there wouldn't be any need for "corner cutting" as getting a non-demanding game to 1080p on PS4 isn't costly in the first place.

I agree, but nobody would argue UE4 has often shown to be efficient. It also appears late ports using UE4 seem to benefit from improved optimzation probably from engine updates. For example, Hellblade optimization seemed to have improved for X1's late port and Switch likely benefitted as well.

I feel like studios relying on UE4 is often getting underwhelming results. But they do this because its evidently easier and scales fairly well.

Yeah UE4 definitely seems to favour quality over efficiency in terms of its feature set. It's a pretty demanding engine in general. 



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I agree, but nobody would argue UE4 has often shown to be efficient. It also appears late ports using UE4 seem to benefit from improved optimzation probably from engine updates. For example, Hellblade optimization seemed to have improved for X1's late port and Switch likely benefitted as well.

I feel like studios relying on UE4 is often getting underwhelming results. But they do this because its evidently easier and scales fairly well.

Yeah UE4 definitely seems to favour quality over efficiency in terms of its feature set. It's a pretty demanding engine in general. 

From what I can tell it seems pretty good on the CPU side, it must be given the Switch is maintaining solid performance. I was surprised Ark runs as well as it does on Switch even if it looks like mud.

Its the GPU side that seems to be resource intensive. I mean we are seeing what is sometimes middling graphics take unusual resolution reductions.

I believe one of the best reasons to buy a X1X is to polish up some UE4 games. Those are some of the titles that see the biggest improvments.



Recently Completed
Gears 5
for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

UE4 is clearly not a well optimized engine for home consoles ...

Square Enix and the others should stop using it and build their own custom engine or pick something else better ...



fatslob-:O said:
UE4 is clearly not a well optimized engine for home consoles ...

Square Enix and the others should stop using it and build their own custom engine or pick something else better ...

I just hope FF VII Remake is not 900p on base and just 1080p on Pro...



Radek said:

I just hope FF VII Remake is not 900p on base and just 1080p on Pro...

Wrong to bet otherwise ... 

SE should've just spent some more time and resources into refactoring Luminous Studio for the next generation instead of fucking around with UE4 but in the end they're going to pay dearly for it by having their game turn into an unoptimized piece of shit as well ... 

Out of all the Japanese publishers out there, only Capcom was sane enough to build their own universal high-end engine like the RE Engine ... 



Around the Network
curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

Don't blame the engine. It isn't a poor engine, and Pug gave you Days Gone and others as examples of games with much higher graphics done on UE4.

It was simply a design choice and probably corner cutting decision to save money. And if fans of the game are happy with the result and the game sold well they have little reason to worry. But I won't agree that this game couldn't have been made on 1080p60fps on PS4 without losing the rest of the effects.

Sorry, but that's just not realistic; if it runs at 900p/30fps in actuality, there is simply no way the headroom is there for it to hit 1080p/60fps in its current form.

The fact is, just because something looks cartoony, doesn't mean it's not demanding on the hardware. If it wasn't demanding, there wouldn't be any need for "corner cutting" as getting a non-demanding game to 1080p on PS4 isn't costly in the first place.

There is no headroom because it was poorly made, simple as that. If you have games that are more intense, have higher IQ and can get 1080p and or 60fps, then it is clear this game could as well. I haven't said anything about the current form, because obviously if it could in the current form it would.

Yes sure being cartoony doesn't automatically make it light. But comparing it to other games (photorealistic or not) I don't see anything technically outstanding in this game.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Maybe the game isn't technically impressive, but it is one of the best looking games on the ps4 period. Which demonstrates that art style trumps graphics, every time.



Chrkeller said:
Maybe the game isn't technically impressive, but it is one of the best looking games on the ps4 period. Which demonstrates that art style trumps graphics, every time.

You consider it to be one of the best looking, and you think that it demonstrate anything. Are you from the group that photo-realistic games don't have art style or lack creativity?



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

DonFerrari said:
Chrkeller said:
Maybe the game isn't technically impressive, but it is one of the best looking games on the ps4 period. Which demonstrates that art style trumps graphics, every time.

You consider it to be one of the best looking, and you think that it demonstrate anything. Are you from the group that photo-realistic games don't have art style or lack creativity?

I think it depends on the photo realistic game.  Some do and some don't.  Horizon and GoW have style.  I found GTA to completely lack style.  So it changes from game to game.  I have nothing against photo realism, as long as style comes with it.  RDR2 is another game that looked pretty but lacked style, IMHO.  



Chrkeller said:
DonFerrari said:

You consider it to be one of the best looking, and you think that it demonstrate anything. Are you from the group that photo-realistic games don't have art style or lack creativity?

I think it depends on the photo realistic game.  Some do and some don't.  Horizon and GoW have style.  I found GTA to completely lack style.  So it changes from game to game.  I have nothing against photo realism, as long as style comes with it.  RDR2 is another game that looked pretty but lacked style, IMHO.  

Fair, although I think RDR2 have a good art style and atmosphere.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994