Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Dragon Quest 11 on Switch, " a remarkably impressive port"

The resolution on Switch is higher than I expected given it's a UE4 game that's sub-1080p on PS4.

I was thinking docked mode would max out at 720p for instance.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Wait, the ps4 version was 900p? If that is true that just hammers home my thought that resolution is grossly overrated in gaming. I thought the game was absolutely stunning on the ps4.

I somewhat agree. 900p with good post processing effects is fine.

However, when you go below that, games can look pixelated and soft. In comparison the Switch version of this game is muddy and that's probably because of the lower resolution and effects applied to it.

For example, Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur VI are very blurry on the X1 due to the 720p resolution with effects applied to it. Hence, 900p can look fine. While 720p can look noticeably worse.

Recently Completed
Gears 5
for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

curl-6 said:

The resolution on Switch is higher than I expected given it's a UE4 game that's sub-1080p on PS4.

The effects used on the PS4 version were likely very taxing, Switch eliminated much of that. Also, if the PS4 version had a dynamic resolution it would probably hit 1080p.

Its a fine port but its kinda what you expect at this point.

Recently Completed
Gears 5
for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

The effects used on the PS4 version were likely very taxing, Switch eliminated much of that. Also, if the PS4 version had a dynamic resolution it would probably hit 1080p.

It's certainly not what I expected. It's not often a UE4 game runs higher than 720p on Switch.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 28 October 2019

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Mr Puggsly said:
Chrkeller said:
Wait, the ps4 version was 900p? If that is true that just hammers home my thought that resolution is grossly overrated in gaming. I thought the game was absolutely stunning on the ps4.

However, when you go below that, games can look pixelated and soft. In comparison the Switch version of this game is muddy and that's probably because of the lower resolution and effects applied to it.

For example, Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur VI are very blurry on the X1 due to the 720p resolution with effects applied to it. Hence, 900p can look fine. While 720p can look noticeably worse.

I think the bigger cause of the muddy look on switch is the texture filtering being dialed back a good ammount.  Textures viewed at oblique angles become quite soupy.  Also, the image treatment is similarly dialed back.  A lot of the post processing pipeline seen in the original release is actually here, just at a lower quality.  Not everything - screen space reflections are most obviously missing - but most of it.  

Around the Network

I put 160 hours in the Switch version. Most of it docked. I don't have a 4K TV. Just 1080P but it looked fine to me. This and Astral Chain might be the best looking games on the system IMO. DQXI-S is a fantastic game. I highly recommend anyone who does play it to download the free DLC to change the overworld theme to DQ VIII. You will be much happier.

Bite my shiny metal Cockpit!

Chrkeller said:

Have you seen what Yoshi looks like on the Switch? the final presentation of the game looks like one of the nicest titles on the system or this generation if you ask me.... then watch the digital foundry about it to find that the game can be Sub 720p at times, game just hides it amazingly well in the art style and pace.

Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

It's certainly not what I expected. It's not often a UE4 game runs higher than 720p on Switch.

I was expecting a lower resolution as well but that 720p+ resolution came with compromises.

A significant downgrade to the lighting, lowered geometry, much more jarring pop in, etc. I can't help but wonder if there could have been less visual compromise with a lower resolution. But given this is UE4, that would probably mean a very blurry game, even more so.

I think CoD games on last gen were hitting something like 600p and they still look pretty good. UE4 games though tend to look really soft a low resolution.

Recently Completed
Gears 5

Nuvendil said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I think the bigger cause of the muddy look on switch is the texture filtering being dialed back a good ammount.  Textures viewed at oblique angles become quite soupy.  Also, the image treatment is similarly dialed back.  A lot of the post processing pipeline seen in the original release is actually here, just at a lower quality.  Not everything - screen space reflections are most obviously missing - but most of it.  

Right, the floor in particular looks like mud probably due to poor anisotropic filtering.

Modern engines seem to just blur the image as a form of cheap anti aliasing. I'm not really a big fan of this. However, it seems work okay when the native resolution is 900p or higher.

The Switch version doesn't look bad for the hardware. Its just very different than what PS4 is doing.

Recently Completed
Gears 5

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

I was expecting a lower resolution as well but that 720p+ resolution came with compromises.

A significant downgrade to the lighting, lowered geometry, much more jarring pop in, etc. I can't help but wonder if there could have been less visual compromise with a lower resolution. But given this is UE4, that would probably mean a very blurry game, even more so.

I think CoD games on last gen were hitting something like 600p and they still look pretty good. UE4 games though tend to look really soft a low resolution.

Current gen games tend to look softer (though less aliased) at sub-HD resolutions than PS3/360 games because they tend to use a lot more post-processing effects that can soften the image. Also, modern AA tends towards the temporal and post-process variety which suppress the jaggies at the cost of adding blur.

Having said that, DQ11 is HD and above in TV mode. I actually haven't played it myself, but looking at DF's footage I don't think it looks overly blurry, to my eyes anyway.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 28 October 2019