By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Dragon Quest 11 on Switch, " a remarkably impressive port"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdm4pB-1Dlc&t=3s

The Basics:

- Dynamic resolution, 810p to 720p in docked mode, around 540p when portable (PS4 version was 900p)

- Trimmings to geometry, textures, shadows, draw distance, etc, but these are overall rather subtle and it compares reasonably well with the PS4 version visually.

- Mostly very stable 30fps

- Very short load times

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 October 2019

Around the Network

Wait, the ps4 version was 900p? If that is true that just hammers home my thought that resolution is grossly overrated in gaming. I thought the game was absolutely stunning on the ps4.

Chrkeller said:
Wait, the ps4 version was 900p? If that is true that just hammers home my thought that resolution is grossly overrated in gaming. I thought the game was absolutely stunning on the ps4.

Perhaps the art style helped make the game look good?

Chrkeller said:

Yep.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-dragon-quest-11-can-ue4-power-next-gen-jrpgs

KLAMarine said:
Chrkeller said:

Perhaps the art style helped make the game look good?

It's rather the engine.  UE4 has exceptional AA and other high quality image treatment features.  A lot of devs opt to pull back target res a bit and crank those settings up, opting for a much cleaner image of slightly lower res rather than a slightly sharper raw image.

Around the Network

Wow, never would have guessed it was 900p.

540p on portable.

I do have to say I found it a bit rough undocked. I can see why.

It looks excellent overall, it's just my undocked threshold is pretty high.

I always trow the same example.
Early gen 7 games were all 1080p, but looked gen 6.
Late gen 7 the games were all at 640p, but look far better than early gen games.
Other factors mean far more than resolution.

Anyway, the game looks gorgeous on both plataforms. If we ever had a chrono trigger remake, the perfect approach would be following DQXI look and play.

Game looked amazing on ps4. Don't think I have it in me to re do it all on the switch. Still one of the GOAT.

Chrkeller said:

I played on the pro, curious what resolution that is now.