By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How would you feel if the PS5 dev kit design was actually the PS5 design?

Tagged games:

What do you think?

I would be fine with that 19 24.05%

It's irrelevant 9 11.39%

That looks pretty bad 15 18.99%

AMAZING! 8 10.13%

That s**t looks awful! 12 15.19%

Did we go back to the 90's? 3 3.80%

V for Vendetta 3 3.80%

Would rather have it look like a box 4 5.06%

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit 5 6.33%

Should continue to stack ... 1 1.27%

Total:79
Lafiel said:
Pemalite said:

You can have PCI-E 3.0 SSD setups that will beat the Playstation 5's or PCI-E 4.0 SSD setups, it depends how many PCI-E lanes you want to throw at the problem.

Sony made a claim, that the Playstation 5's SSD setup is faster than the PC, they didn't specify what PC in particular.

You quoted Cerny's statement yourself "higher than any SSD available for PCs" - that's singular = 1 SSD. A raid setup is not a singular SSD.

You can have a singular SSD faster than the PS5's SSD.
They tend to come in PCI-E card format... But shh. Tell no one.

EricHiggin said:

I'm not defending anybody and I'm not saying you're definitely wrong about the SSD. I'm saying for you to assume based on what info is available, that you're likely correct about the SSD set up, but to take the info that is available about historical console specs and pricing, etc, and say that $500 isn't a likely price and shouldn't be taken into account at all, is just nonsense. The price of the console determines to some degree what's inside it, which would effect your SSD guess.

I also never said the PS5 SSD would beat all PC's or anything close to that.

Yes, the PS4 is based off of existing PC tech that has been semi customized for it's application.

By Pro I meant minor semi customizations and not major one's, since it will be a new gen but also because the income is there since the brand is hot.

So if PS5 is $999 but worth $1,499 and Scarlett is $499 but worth $699, you'll choose the PS5 since that will clearly be the most compelling, since price doesn't matter? What about the other tens of millions of people who want a PS5 but can't come close to affording it, ever? Tough luck? Maybe PS might want to pick an affordable price and base the hardware around that, with potential reasonable subsidies?

I am not discounting that $500 is the likely price point.
I am taking issue with your goal post moving, which is to use pricing in your argument when pricing wasn't in Sony's original statements.

And yes, I would chose the Playstation 5 if it was $1,000 and Scarlett was $500 but the Playstation 5 had superior hardware, I am a hardware enthusiast.
For those who couldn't afford it? That's not really my concern or problem, that is theirs and Sony's.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

I understand you, but there are people that like to buy some very big USB sticks with a lot of "carnival" throw at them =p

Buy a USB Port Extender.

Or a USB hub, either should work fine.

CuCabeludo said:
People should be more worried about the price than the design. A super fast SSD can cost the same as a console. A PS5 will come with faster SSD than PCs have currently.

The Playstation 5 will not have an SSD faster than what PC's can have.

Doesnt work in my case, using a hub or extender messes with the sound

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:

Erm. How exactly? Definitely need you to elaborate on that statement. Haha

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
kirby007 said:

Erm. How exactly? Definitely need you to elaborate on that statement. Haha

Sound seems to work fine the first 30 secs, but after that full on static, i suspect power/electric useage

Edit: cable and hub both work since i use them with my pc aswell

Edit2: usb port does work, charges controllers and powers external hdd fine

Last edited by kirby007 - on 20 October 2019

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I could have the wrong depth perception or whatever, but now that I'm actually interested in getting one of these (upon the discovery of good third party controllers that are more similar to Switch/360 pro controllers), it simply looks too big for my liking. I guess I'm spoiled with Nintendo sizing. NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, and Switch were always nice and small feeling. Xbox, 360, Xbox one, Ps3, and Ps4 just seem massive and inconvenient. I like things to look clean and sleek. If they were to take the PS5 sizing back down to the PS2 I would be a lot more likely to buy. And I know this is probably impossible because of the race to have the best visuals and random features of the day.

If I could have a Nintendo device this size and priced $200 more, I would prefer they stick to the smaller form factor, be less powerful, and less expensive. I am really interested in ps5, but the size is very important to me.

Around the Network

I don't mind that form factor but it would have to be not too bulky.

Pemalite said:
Lafiel said:

You quoted Cerny's statement yourself "higher than any SSD available for PCs" - that's singular = 1 SSD. A raid setup is not a singular SSD.

You can have a singular SSD faster than the PS5's SSD.
They tend to come in PCI-E card format... But shh. Tell no one.

EricHiggin said:

I'm not defending anybody and I'm not saying you're definitely wrong about the SSD. I'm saying for you to assume based on what info is available, that you're likely correct about the SSD set up, but to take the info that is available about historical console specs and pricing, etc, and say that $500 isn't a likely price and shouldn't be taken into account at all, is just nonsense. The price of the console determines to some degree what's inside it, which would effect your SSD guess.

I also never said the PS5 SSD would beat all PC's or anything close to that.

Yes, the PS4 is based off of existing PC tech that has been semi customized for it's application.

By Pro I meant minor semi customizations and not major one's, since it will be a new gen but also because the income is there since the brand is hot.

So if PS5 is $999 but worth $1,499 and Scarlett is $499 but worth $699, you'll choose the PS5 since that will clearly be the most compelling, since price doesn't matter? What about the other tens of millions of people who want a PS5 but can't come close to affording it, ever? Tough luck? Maybe PS might want to pick an affordable price and base the hardware around that, with potential reasonable subsidies?

I am not discounting that $500 is the likely price point.
I am taking issue with your goal post moving, which is to use pricing in your argument when pricing wasn't in Sony's original statements.

And yes, I would chose the Playstation 5 if it was $1,000 and Scarlett was $500 but the Playstation 5 had superior hardware, I am a hardware enthusiast.
For those who couldn't afford it? That's not really my concern or problem, that is theirs and Sony's.

Pricing is a given though. They may not have talked about pricing here, but it's not like it doesn't apply. It certainly won't be free.

I can only assume you must think a two model launch is what PS should do, because otherwise based on your pricing, a single unit launch leads to something like this gen's sales flipping, and PS5 becoming the XB1, especially come the XB mid gen upgrade. If hardware is much more important than lot's of high quality AAA games to play on it, then I guess the more expensive the console the better, because poor sales will lead to less, lower quality games. A $1,000 PS5 will not be like PS3 where it makes a comeback, even if it's like PS3 and has prior gen hardware in there, which would have to mean a special high end unit, or the dumbest move they've made since PS3. Two or three years of a $1,000 PS5 and then a $400-$500 slim with no more BC isn't going to fly again if they try it.

In a single unit launch, there is no way PS5 costs more than $500.

Looks cool. I want to see it standing vertically with the "V" 5 facing.

mjk45 said:
I wonder why would Sony put the dev kits inside something like that, you would think that they would just put it in a PC style case , ..

As a busy developer, you can stack them up and still have guaranteed airflow?

I like the look of the devkit. I kind of hope it does look like this, but it won't because it might affect sales.