By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How would you feel if the PS5 dev kit design was actually the PS5 design?

Tagged games:

What do you think?

I would be fine with that 19 24.05%

It's irrelevant 9 11.39%

That looks pretty bad 15 18.99%

AMAZING! 8 10.13%

That s**t looks awful! 12 15.19%

Did we go back to the 90's? 3 3.80%

V for Vendetta 3 3.80%

Would rather have it look like a box 4 5.06%

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit 5 6.33%

Should continue to stack ... 1 1.27%

Total:79
method114 said:

I've never cared about the way a console looks. It's about as important as controllers are (which is way more important to people than I realized). As long as a controller is good enough I'm ok with it. Although I hate the way I can't just set my PS4 controller down without hitting the trigger on accident. Causes HuluNetflix to fast forwardrewind.

That is one thing I don't like on DS4, the triggers self trigger all the time.

EricHiggin said:
DonFerrari said:

Nope. He didn't say compared to equivalent PC. He just said available to PC. Because you could either make a barebone PC with only the SSD being good, or other components being good and throwing a very old HDD on it, both could cost 500 so it would be pointless comparison.

This seems to be the case, but even if he did, the point would be comparable overall based on the price. To make a barebones PC with weak parts that has an SSD as capable as PS5's is supposed to be, wouldn't be equivalent, not even close. The PS5 won't be super weak hardware with a top of the line SSD.

Blame Mark Cerny. He didn't make any caveats, so you have to take his word on what was said.

Dulfite said:
I could have the wrong depth perception or whatever, but now that I'm actually interested in getting one of these (upon the discovery of good third party controllers that are more similar to Switch/360 pro controllers), it simply looks too big for my liking. I guess I'm spoiled with Nintendo sizing. NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, and Switch were always nice and small feeling. Xbox, 360, Xbox one, Ps3, and Ps4 just seem massive and inconvenient. I like things to look clean and sleek. If they were to take the PS5 sizing back down to the PS2 I would be a lot more likely to buy. And I know this is probably impossible because of the race to have the best visuals and random features of the day.

If I could have a Nintendo device this size and priced $200 more, I would prefer they stick to the smaller form factor, be less powerful, and less expensive. I am really interested in ps5, but the size is very important to me.

Except in N64 and GC when you account for the power brick they were comparable (or bigger) than the Playstations, on WiiU besides power supply you also had the Pad, so not much smaller than PS4. Wii and Switch would be the ones that can be said to really be smaller.

Anyway all PS consoles (and Nintendo for the matter) fits on a regular shelf on spaces that are calculate for VCRs or even bigger stuff, rarely you'll have your furniture being made of all very small spaces.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I'd probably put in the kitchen like a foodwarmer.

DonFerrari said:
method114 said:

I've never cared about the way a console looks. It's about as important as controllers are (which is way more important to people than I realized). As long as a controller is good enough I'm ok with it. Although I hate the way I can't just set my PS4 controller down without hitting the trigger on accident. Causes HuluNetflix to fast forwardrewind.

EricHiggin said:

This seems to be the case, but even if he did, the point would be comparable overall based on the price. To make a barebones PC with weak parts that has an SSD as capable as PS5's is supposed to be, wouldn't be equivalent, not even close. The PS5 won't be super weak hardware with a top of the line SSD.

Blame Mark Cerny. He didn't make any caveats, so you have to take his word on what was said.

Dulfite said:
I could have the wrong depth perception or whatever, but now that I'm actually interested in getting one of these (upon the discovery of good third party controllers that are more similar to Switch/360 pro controllers), it simply looks too big for my liking. I guess I'm spoiled with Nintendo sizing. NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, and Switch were always nice and small feeling. Xbox, 360, Xbox one, Ps3, and Ps4 just seem massive and inconvenient. I like things to look clean and sleek. If they were to take the PS5 sizing back down to the PS2 I would be a lot more likely to buy. And I know this is probably impossible because of the race to have the best visuals and random features of the day.

If I could have a Nintendo device this size and priced $200 more, I would prefer they stick to the smaller form factor, be less powerful, and less expensive. I am really interested in ps5, but the size is very important to me.

Except in N64 and GC when you account for the power brick they were comparable (or bigger) than the Playstations, on WiiU besides power supply you also had the Pad, so not much smaller than PS4. Wii and Switch would be the ones that can be said to really be smaller.

Anyway all PS consoles (and Nintendo for the matter) fits on a regular shelf on spaces that are calculate for VCRs or even bigger stuff, rarely you'll have your furniture being made of all very small spaces.

We don't use the boxes, VCRs, DVD players, etc. Anymore. We are a streaming only family, except for video game consoles, and I want those to be as small as possible. And yeah the Wii U controller was huge, but that was in my hands not cluttering a shelf most of the time.

Dulfite said:
DonFerrari said:

We don't use the boxes, VCRs, DVD players, etc. Anymore. We are a streaming only family, except for video game consoles, and I want those to be as small as possible. And yeah the Wii U controller was huge, but that was in my hands not cluttering a shelf most of the time.

So you have your shelves mostly empty, even less issue on PS5 being a little bigger than PS4 imho.

Have you changed your furniture to not have any space on the cabinet for a console?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Looks fine as a dev kit.

Last edited by archbrix - on 11 June 2020

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:

Pricing is a given though. They may not have talked about pricing here, but it's not like it doesn't apply. It certainly won't be free.

Pricing is irrelevant to the discussion. Stop trying to shift the goal post.
Sony made a blanket statement, price had nothing to do with it, statement was false... That is all there is to it, they deserve the criticism for it.

EricHiggin said:

I can only assume you must think a two model launch is what PS should do, because otherwise based on your pricing, a single unit launch leads to something like this gen's sales flipping, and PS5 becoming the XB1, especially come the XB mid gen upgrade.

I haven't made any assertions in regards to Sony's launch strategy or the number of consoles they should launch or their pricing structure.

So how you came up with those assumptions beats me.

EricHiggin said:

If hardware is much more important than lot's of high quality AAA games to play on it, then I guess the more expensive the console the better, because poor sales will lead to less, lower quality games.

Some of my favorite consoles were the most powerful for any given console generation.
And they may have had less volume of games, but they also had some of my favorite games of all time.

I will happily take 1 super high quality game that defies expectations and has me engrossed for months/years on end than a dozen games which are forgettable.

The Nintendo 64 and Original Xbox are a couple of examples.

Again, the sales of a console isn't my problem, it's the companies who produce that hardware that are trying to turn a profit... Problem.

EricHiggin said:

A $1,000 PS5 will not be like PS3 where it makes a comeback, even if it's like PS3 and has prior gen hardware in there, which would have to mean a special high end unit, or the dumbest move they've made since PS3. Two or three years of a $1,000 PS5 and then a $400-$500 slim with no more BC isn't going to fly again if they try it.

In a single unit launch, there is no way PS5 costs more than $500.

I never made the statement that a console should be $1,000, $1,500, $400, $500. - So your ramblings on price is again... Irrelevant. - I don't care about the price.

I will buy whatever console is the most compelling, I couldn't give two rats about the brand name on the front of it, I am a PC gamer primarily.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Sony made a blanket statement, price had nothing to do with it, statement was false... That is all there is to it, they deserve the criticism for it.

none of your explanations why you think this is a fact has been satisfactory

KratosLives said:
Looks cool. I want to see it standing vertically with the "V" 5 facing.

While they're at it, take the "V" 5 facing console that's supported on a clear stand, and have a female place the "V" facing upside down (^) while standing directly behind it, who also just so happens to be the perfect height so that the top of the console starts at her waist.

Pemalite said:

Oh wow, you actually know Sony's exact ssd solution. Tell us a little bit more since you know its speed. Tell us also how hot it gets while streaming and how fast it is after 10 minutes of streaming...

No thanks. Looks hideous.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"