By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Witcher 3 on Switch is a good port or not ?

How does look Witcher 3 on Switch

Definitely crap, too blurry and downgraded 14 21.88%

Like what we could expect, no surprise 7 10.94%

A bit better than what we could expect 11 17.19%

It is much beyond what an... 24 37.50%

It is the most incredible... 8 12.50%

Total:64

Of course it's not going to be exactly like the console versions. The fps was pretty crappy at times, and the switch version actually seems to have an overall more steady 30 fps. I've watched alot of side by side comparisons and it holds up extremely well.

The bog area that buckled the ps4 and xbox to their knees is actually alot smoother on the switch. It's all there, and anyone saying its ark is blind.

I have to wonder, the people saying how ugly this is, how many of them even own a switch, or even like Nintendo? Alot of people vote just to troll sometimes (not pointing at this thread, in general and on other forums) the port is an achievement. I'll be getting it, and I played it on the ps4 and x1x.

Around the Network

I'm one of those guys that tried it but couldn't get into it. I have it on Xbox One X but I'm willing to give it another try on Switch.

If you have a Switch with CFW on it you can play this right now, and after about an hour of play I have to say I'm utterly amazed at the quality of the port, the models of the characters , both main and npc are really outstanding for the Switch, foiliage , world geometry and water effects have all been hit pretty hard, but then on the flip side they seem to have if anything made sure that lighting and shadows survived the porting fantastically well so in places which look sort of rough you can find amazing light shafts down through forest area's to kinda hide what would be some low res assets on the trees and bushes, it's an absolute feat to play, Frame rate wise, honestly I only played this for a small while on the PS4 very early on and I recall the frame rate being something which I noticed a bit on that system (but that was before DLC packs and such landed along with patches galore, so it could be better now) but my point is, that I think that while graphically this version looks clearly like someone has gone into the settings and beat some of the settings to beyond low (big bodies of water look rough) it has to be said, that performance wise, this version is very solid, cutscenes with 4+ people seem to dip down into the 20 region when stuff gets up close, but the character models look so nice that it's very forgivable. Also... this is that game which people always bought up when ports came to Switch, First it was "well... it will get X360 ports, but you'll never see any PS4 games on it" then it became "well... it got X PS4 game, but you'll never see games like Witcher 3 on it" what is it now guys? "Well it got Witcher 3 on it...... but you....'ll .... never ... see... RING ADVENTURE LOOKS BAD!"

Really just blown away by the quality of the port, can't wait for my Cartridge of it arrives next week sometime, that will be the icing on the cake, to have all that Witcher 3 goodness all on one complete cart, while I did download this to see it, I'm obviously supporting this as well! :o it deserves a vote with the wallet imo.

Some screen shots going in here after I post this because first post failed with no error message (thankfully had ctrl C the text because... yeah this site is just completely unstable this week)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:

Also... this is that game which people always bought up when ports came to Switch, First it was "well... it will get X360 ports, but you'll never see any PS4 games on it" then it became "well... it got X PS4 game, but you'll never see games like Witcher 3 on it" what is it now guys? "Well it got Witcher 3 on it...... but you....'ll .... never ... see... RING ADVENTURE LOOKS BAD!"

Yeah that goalpost has been VERY mobile the past two years.

"It'll never get PS4 games, it can't handle them."

"Okay it'll get 60fps PS4 games cut to 30fps, but no 30fps PS4 games."

"Okay it'll get linear 30fps PS4 games, but not open world PS4 games."

There's pretty much nowhere to move it to now except to just bash the ports as "looking like crap". 

Hurrah it's here.... soon

Full on lighting to blow your eyes outta your head so you can't see the textures! Good thinking.... actually works quite well tbh.

Lovely shadows too to hide some of the ground detail being missing, some strange settings turned up here, but really works nicely

Water in the background, looks... basic but functional, IGN might be happy to see slightly less water in the game!

Some up close shots of the models in game, honestly I don't think there is anything else like this on Switch, Senua's Sacrifice looked nice but I really think Witcher 3 takes the medal for best in game realistic models to date in a Switch title.

a link to the full album here with a few shots in it extra, but seriously after about an hour or so playing this on my projector I think the work they've done to bring Witcher 3 to such an underpowered machine just cements what I always say... you can port anything, to anything, if the money and will is there to do it.

https://imgur.com/a/PwVEQvX

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Also... this is that game which people always bought up when ports came to Switch, First it was "well... it will get X360 ports, but you'll never see any PS4 games on it" then it became "well... it got X PS4 game, but you'll never see games like Witcher 3 on it" what is it now guys? "Well it got Witcher 3 on it...... but you....'ll .... never ... see... RING ADVENTURE LOOKS BAD!"

"Okay it'll get 30fps PS4 games, but not open world PS4 games."

There's pretty much nowhere to move it to now except to just bash the ports as "looking like crap". 

Honestly when you consider that it's a port of a very demanding current gen title on a handheld console which has the same hardware as a 2015 nvidia shield it is an absolute feat that the game functions in any way shape or form on the system, but I think I had my expectations well in check that this would look bad or run in the low 20s at all times, but so far from playing it I've been stunned at the performance, and obviously I have a pre release version which would be missing any day one patches, and I'm playing it on my OG Switch, not the Mariko unit which I've bought so possibly it might hold that 720p every so slightly more on that unit but I won't know this this weekend.

edit - Should point out, I refer to the Switch as a handheld console, I mean... it has handheld components in a hybrid form factor console, lest people jump on that!

Ganoncrotch said:
curl-6 said:

"Okay it'll get 30fps PS4 games, but not open world PS4 games."

Honestly when you consider that it's a port of a very demanding current gen title on a handheld console which has the same hardware as a 2015 nvidia shield it is an absolute feat that the game functions in any way shape or form on the system, but I think I had my expectations well in check that this would look bad or run in the low 20s at all times, but so far from playing it I've been stunned at the performance, and obviously I have a pre release version which would be missing any day one patches, and I'm playing it on my OG Switch, not the Mariko unit which I've bought so possibly it might hold that 720p every so slightly more on that unit but I won't know this this weekend.

Oh yeah, the fact we're at the point where a demanding open world PS4 game can run on a handheld in a mechanically uncompromised and visually recognizable form is still just bonkers to me. I've long been of the opinion that Switch's capabilities were widely underestimated but even I never expected to see something like this.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 October 2019

curl-6 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Oh yeah, the fact we're at the point where a demanding open world PS4 game can run on a handheld in a mechanically uncompromised and visually recognizable form is still just bonkers to me.

Especially when you consider that the closest comparison of handheld power would have been to the Vita which was heralded as the second coming of Christ for the power it had to render portable ps3 games.... with no compromises over the ps3 home versions!

but now you got The Witcher 3 from current generation, in its entirety on hardware which can run 5-6 hours from a battery which takes up 10 times more space in the unit than the cpu/gpu combo and it's a shock that it's blurry, I mean... it has a max resolution and frame rate on par with Dead Rising 3 and Watchdogs on the Xbox1.

Shikamo said:

The game looks much better using the mClassic (a graphic processor)

I wouldn't call it a graphics processor.
It is just a device that runs a few filters over the video feed...

curl-6 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

"Okay it'll get linear 30fps PS4 games, but not open world PS4 games."

I think the real issue is people perceive the Switch as a device that is like a mobile 7th gen machine, when fundamentally on a technology level it's an 8th gen machine in terms of GPU feature set... In-fact it even exceed the Playstation 4 and Xbox One in a few fringe aspects. (Although those other consoles have brute force on their hands.)

Which means ports of any Playstation 4 games were more than feasible, especially with how scalable engines have proven to be in recent years across different hardware configurations, even on PC with 10+ year old hardware capable of gaming.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Yeah, it looks rough, here an there, when you play in on the TV (especially if you previously played the PC version), however on my Switch Lite it looks just fine. I'm very impressed and I'd definitely recommend it for mostly handheld users.