By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Witcher 3 on Switch is a good port or not ?

How does look Witcher 3 on Switch

Definitely crap, too blurry and downgraded 14 21.88%

Like what we could expect, no surprise 7 10.94%

A bit better than what we could expect 11 17.19%

It is much beyond what an... 24 37.50%

It is the most incredible... 8 12.50%

Total:64
Nuvendil said:
Safiir said:

This is exactly why users of consoles should have unlocked options of fiddling with the graphics settings. Heck I'd like to be able to have the options of over/underclock but obviously this ain't happening on unhacked units.

Allowing overclocking wouldn't be a good idea.  The Switch's heatsink and fan are sized according to the power draws Nintendo has restricted it to.  Pushing the system this far beyond that setting could be potentially dangerous for the system and also cause long term damage as the fan is forced to run at full speed while contending with temperatures beyond what it was designed for.  There's a reason multiple people have stated that this mod is a "use at your own risk" situation.

Yeah, precisely. Use at your own risk. So I'd like to be able to have the option of taking the risk.

Around the Network

I'm enchanted with the insane amount of detail this game has. The side quests instead of being a chore are actually genuinely interesting to do. Oh, and the world is beautiful as hell, can only imagine how would it be to play it on a high end machine.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Metallox said:
I'm enchanted with the insane amount of detail this game has. The side quests instead of being a chore are actually genuinely interesting to do. Oh, and the world is beautiful as hell, can only imagine how would it be to play it on a high end machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SMayL9geb4

Only real complaint I'm having thus far is that looting is very choppy due to the poor frame rate and I'm not sure what else. You have to press A several times to let it happen, and sometimes Geralt will start running. It's annoying, but I'm getting used to it.

I also like that everyone in this game is a total asshole, just like in other medieval portrayals.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Metallox said:

Yeah that's probably what impresses me the most about the game as well, the amount of thought and attention put into even the optional sidequests. Even the minor characters usually have interesting stories.

I had to bump it down to easy though, on standard I was getting my arse kicked. That's not really the game's fault though, I just have poor motor skills.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Metallox said:

Yeah that's probably what impresses me the most about the game as well, the amount of thought and attention put into even the optional sidequests. Even the minor characters usually have interesting stories.

I had to bump it down to easy though, on standard I was getting my arse kicked. That's not really the game's fault though, I just have poor motor skills.

Yeah, while there are many not so flattering things to be said about its RPG side of things (both mechanically and choice wise), it's the narative and attention to detail in sidequests what truly sets this game apart from its contemporaries.

As for combat, if you're using signs and potions in a right way and you still find it too difficult, try using "cavarly charge" while on Roach, galloping and hacking through enemies dealing extra damage while doing so. Later (IIRC)

Spoiler!
nekker decoction will help you deal even more damage and Roach won't panic while close to enemies.

HoloDust said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah, while there are many not so flattering things to be said about its RPG side of things (both mechanically and choice wise), it's the narative and attention to detail in sidequests what truly sets this game apart from its contemporaries.

As for combat, if you're using signs and potions in a right way and you still find it too difficult, try using "cavarly charge" while on Roach, galloping and hacking through enemies dealing extra damage while doing so. Later (IIRC)

Spoiler!
nekker decoction will help you deal even more damage and Roach won't panic while close to enemies.

Thanks. Honestly, it's just mostly that my reflexes and finger coordination aren't the greatest so I was missing dodges and parries often enough to get me frequently killed on standard. I'm enjoying it a lot more on easy mode haha.

I swear the latest update has upped the average resolution quite noticeably, like to a similar extent to something like Wolfenstein II's post-launch performance patch, to my eye the game looks a lot sharper now than in the first few days after launch.

Also, the game itself is freaking amazing and I am addicted, dunno what I am gonna do when Luigi's Mansion 3 comes out in three days, having to choose between them as far as which to play is gonna be torture.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 27 October 2019

Radek said:
curl-6 said:

I swear the latest update has upped the average resolution quite noticeably, like to a similar extent to something like Wolfenstein II's post-launch performance patch, to my eye the game looks a lot sharper now than in the first few days after launch.

Also, it is freaking amazing and I am addicted, dunno what I am gonna do when Luigi's Mansion 3 comes out in three days, having to choose between them as far as which to play is gonna be torture.

You mean the day one patch or is there a new one? This is the best AAA port from bigger consoles for sure!

I don't actually know, all I know is the last time I fired the game up four days ago it looked crisper in terms of image quality than in my first few days with it, most noticeable in outdoor areas with a lot of vegetation.

Safiir said:
Nuvendil said:

Allowing overclocking wouldn't be a good idea.  The Switch's heatsink and fan are sized according to the power draws Nintendo has restricted it to.  Pushing the system this far beyond that setting could be potentially dangerous for the system and also cause long term damage as the fan is forced to run at full speed while contending with temperatures beyond what it was designed for.  There's a reason multiple people have stated that this mod is a "use at your own risk" situation.

Yeah, precisely. Use at your own risk. So I'd like to be able to have the option of taking the risk.

Theres a few videos showing temps while overclocked... and they werent even close to overheating. Nintendo downclocked the chip for battery reasons

If they allowed it to be fully unlocked, the battery would last an hour. They knew that would be a major issue. Allowing the chip to run stock clocks, it would not cause over heating. Theres quite a few videos showing this. Nintendo knew how much it would suck if the system would only last an hour. 

I would love to be able to run it on full clock ability,  especially in handheld. That's the only way I play... I'd love to see how well games would run on full clock speeds in handheld.

I hope this response makes sense, I couldnt see what I was typing because of the stupid ass banner covering everything I typed.... damn... this shit sucks on mobile bad.