By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's game output is improving but still pathetic compared to Wii/DS era

One also has to bear in mind, as I posted in another thread not long ago, that in order to ensure Switch got a packed first year, Nintendo opened fire with most of their big teams in 2017, (Zelda team, 3D Mario team, Splatoon team, Mario Kart team, Monolith) and since games take 3 years or more to make these days, this meant those studios couldn't be ready with their second Switch games in 2018 or this year.

Around the Network

The Wii and especially the DS were ridiculously easy to develop for. It's normal they can't match the same output.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I think the output on switch has been much better than the wii/ds in terms of quality and scope

sethnintendo said:
Chrkeller said:
The higher the fidelity the longer the development times. The DS wasn't HD nor did it support digital surround sound. Comparing development times to the Switch is stupid.

Lets see 1 system vs 2 systems.  Yep completely stupid.  Maybe they should have hired better programmers if they can't figure out "HD" development or buy a third party company like Capcom.  Shit small developers can make decent looking games with Unity.  I know there was some difficulty in progressing from standard to hd which you lost a lot of third party companies during that era but this is like a decade later.  How the fuck can you use the same excuse?  In 20 years are we still going to be using this excuse?  Also, Nintendo doesn't even use the highest graphic standards nor do they care.  You act like they are making the highest graphic games for PC.

It is very stupid.  The number of system(s) is irrelevant.  Breath of the Wild requires more development time than all Zelda DS games combined.  It isn't rocket science.

And you are acting as though other companies are kicking out top shelf games regularly, which is just a lie.  How long did we wait for RDR2?  As another example, what has Guerrilla Games released since Horizon?    

And buy Capcom?  Capcom all but blows.  How many quality games does Capcom release a year?  Go ahead and name their top shelf 2019 releases. 

Do some basic math son.  Link Between Worlds was 700 mb..  Breath of the Wild was 13.4 gb....  you are comparing two different scopes.  BotW is 19 times bigger than Link Between Worlds.  Can you make a 5 course meal as fast as I can cut up an apple?  I'm guessing no.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 04 October 2019

pikashoe said:
I think the output on switch has been much better than the wii/ds in terms of quality and scope

There are things missing still, yes, but I agree that the type and scale of the content has been more to my liking so far. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

I think all companies output will slow down as each generation comes out. Why? Because people expect all that fancy technology to be integrated perfectly.

"It needs to be 720p! Now 1080p! Now 4k! Now 8k!
It needs anti alising!
It needs 30fps! Now 45 for! Now 60fps!
The card should be unlocked!
It needs HDR!"

And of course all these companies are pressured to develop games to take advantage of all these "needs" before many will buy them. How many people won't buy a great game because of one, if not more of these issues? A ton. So developers have to take a lot longer and spend a lot more money to make them and they either can't and lose money from years or not releasing only to fold as a company or they do and their output is diminished. The future of the gaming industry is bleak because of many picky gamers that only will tolerate cutting edge.

I am with you, fine sir. Nintendo needs to pump out a few smaller games (at reasonable prices, none of this Link’s Awakening @full price crap), and they especially need to experiment with new IPs. I bet you are not a fan of Labo? That lineup actually produced 4 or 5 games, but I think it is “invisible” to many of us because we don’t want to go through the construction process and the software is bland without the wacky controllers. It was a nice concept, but I feel like Nintendo should have cut their losses after the first pair of labo kits didn’t take off.

The third party situation is actually amazing, imo; best since DS, at least. Granted, we still aren’t getting all the big new games, but if you had told me at launch day that eventually Witcher 3, Skyrim, Overwatch, Diablo 3, Mortal Kombat 11, every Doom, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Rocket League, Final Fantasy VII - XII, and more would be available on the system (not to mention we’re tracking for around 5000 games in total) - I would never have believed it.

Chrkeller said:
sethnintendo said:

Lets see 1 system vs 2 systems.  Yep completely stupid.  Maybe they should have hired better programmers if they can't figure out "HD" development or buy a third party company like Capcom.  Shit small developers can make decent looking games with Unity.  I know there was some difficulty in progressing from standard to hd which you lost a lot of third party companies during that era but this is like a decade later.  How the fuck can you use the same excuse?  In 20 years are we still going to be using this excuse?  Also, Nintendo doesn't even use the highest graphic standards nor do they care.  You act like they are making the highest graphic games for PC.

It is very stupid.  The number of system(s) is irrelevant.  Breath of the Wild requires more development time than all Zelda DS games combined.  It isn't rocket science.

And you are acting as though other companies are kicking out top shelf games regularly, which is just a lie.  How long did we wait for RDR2?  As another example, what has Guerrilla Games released since Horizon?    

And buy Capcom?  Capcom all but blows.  How many quality games does Capcom release a year?  Go ahead and name their top shelf 2019 releases. 

Do some basic math son.  Link Between Worlds was 700 mb..  Breath of the Wild was 13.4 gb....  you are comparing two different scopes.  BotW is 19 times bigger than Link Between Worlds.  Can you make a 5 course meal as fast as I can cut up an apple?  I'm guessing no.  

It's even a whole other world in terms of scaling, you can't just have a 5 course meal where each course is a different amount of chopped apple. You're talking about whole other levels in terms of graphics design, physics design models which didn't exist on the DS, the DS settings for shadows would have been "there are no shadows" that doesn't scale up to what we have today without teams being added to handle those things and it's not a linear scale just based on resolution as well, from a mechanical point of view the amount of complexity in the game world of breath of the wild puts most other titles to shame, never mind other games in the Zelda franchise.

Would agree with the "just buy capcom to get them making your games" They have 2 games this year of any meaning, DMC5 and Resident Evil 2 Remastered, not bad games but one is yet another sequel in a series they've not really evolved since the PS2 and the other a remake of a game from the PSone era which they've been considering and working on for over a decade - From wiki "Capcom first expressed interest in making a remake of Resident Evil 2 in 2002, following a successful release of the remake of the first Resident Evil, but production never started since series creator Shinji Mikami did not want to divert development away from Resident Evil 4. In August 2015, Capcom announced that the remake was in development," 

Also considering the news on their next game... https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2019/05/10/capcom-wont-be-releasing-any-more-big-games-until-well-in-to-2020/ not being until "well into" 2020, so I think definitely strange to compare Nintendo's output to Capcom and in anyway see Capcom as the more favourable choice from the 2.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Dulfite said:
I think all companies output will slow down as each generation comes out. Why? Because people expect all that fancy technology to be integrated perfectly.

"It needs to be 720p! Now 1080p! Now 4k! Now 8k!
It needs anti alising!
It needs 30fps! Now 45 for! Now 60fps!
The card should be unlocked!
It needs HDR!"

And of course all these companies are pressured to develop games to take advantage of all these "needs" before many will buy them. How many people won't buy a great game because of one, if not more of these issues? A ton. So developers have to take a lot longer and spend a lot more money to make them and they either can't and lose money from years or not releasing only to fold as a company or they do and their output is diminished. The future of the gaming industry is bleak because of many picky gamers that only will tolerate cutting edge.

Don't forget Ray Tracing!

SKMBlake said:
Is it you.

Look at what we have this year exclusive wise:
-Super Mario Maker 2
-Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
-Astral Chain
-Luigi's Mansion
-Link's Awakening
-Kirby
-Pokémon
-Their weird fitness RPG

And the console has almost 2000 games in its library in 2 years, which is very close to the Xbox One and PS4.

And yet you think it's pathetic ? Really ?

Yeah , I agree, it's OP.

Also from a money point of view, while people might not buy all of those titles, the list you put there would come to around €500 over a year of gaming, as well as buying 3rd party games it has to reach a point where you acknowledge that you gotta hold off for a few months sometimes to allow people save up their gaming budget to buy another title from you, especially if you want to keep Nintendos model of premium price remaining premium for the whole generation, say if it was someone like Sony, games like Horizon zero dawn can be gotten now for change, but Zelda breath of the wild which launched the same time is still retailing for €70, that means that when it comes to buying Nintendo titles there is sort of a security in buying them on launch for their launch price because you don't have it in the back of your mind... "hey... if I wait a month or 2 maybe I can get this on the cheap" Great sales tactic by them to remove that worry

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive