By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's New Fit Game (Ring Fit Adventure™)

Interest Level?

Getting at launch! 9 24.32%

Might pick it up eventually 11 29.73%

Leaning towards no 3 8.11%

Not a chance! 13 35.14%

Other 1 2.70%

Total:37
Barkley said:
Jranation said:

So you think using Miis in a fitness party style game would suit that audience more than this?

I really wouldn't describe Wii Fit as a "Party Style Game". It was a game simply about exercising, weighing yourself and tracking your progress.

I think the fantasy elements and story will be a turn off to a large amount of people that Wii Fit appealed to. While to more traditional gamers it will be more appealing than Wii Fit was.

Wii Fit captured a large crowd of non-gamers and I'm sure they'd much rather have a Wii Fit style game that's just focused on the actual exercises than having some goblins or whatever running around.

This isn't going to be even remotely close to a 20m seller like Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus because it's got a much more limited market

Wii Fit was very much a game, but a lot of the skill and progress was linked to physical improvement, as well as the connection between mind and body - particularly some of the balance games. I probably have 1000+ hours of Wii Fit stacked together over the years (I should check, I think Wii and Wii U record time spent on an app) and I'd say what I find less appealing about this game is that it looks like a smaller and less customizable package than Wii Fit. I would LOVE more game elements in exercising without losing the customizability and content variety.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
I could still see this selling 2-3 million, maybe even 5. It'll be a decent seller, but not a megaton.

I also see that it can make 1-2 Switch numbers, although the target audience is not clear with this product. Wii Fit gamers are not very interrested in adventure mode, I think.

Maybe we see another party game which uses the ring-con. That could be fun.

CaptainExplosion said:
Dulfite said:
This looks far more interesting than any fitness game ever made, to me. But I want a digital version, is that possible or do you have to buy it in physical form with the bundle?

I never want to go back to physical games again so this may be a deal breaker if I can't get it digitally.

Yeah, doubt a digital release would work out (pun intended), seeing as you'd need the Ringcon to play.

Hopefully the Ringcon gets applied to more games, old and new, to save it from being a one trick pony.

I saw somewhere recently that a digital code would be available.  I'm sure we'll see Ring-Cons/Straps sold separately in the stores.  This would be handy if someone were to lose or damage theirs.

siebensus4 said:
JWeinCom said:
I could still see this selling 2-3 million, maybe even 5. It'll be a decent seller, but not a megaton.

I also see that it can make 1-2 Switch numbers, although the target audience is not clear with this product. Wii Fit gamers are not very interrested in adventure mode, I think.

Maybe we see another party game which uses the ring-con. That could be fun.

Yeah, but the vidoe also showed that the game also have standard exercises without adventure mode. And mini games. I think if you don't need an adventure mode for motivation, then you can go on with these, if not the adventure mode might be the motivation boost you need to stay invested.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Casual folk aren't as afraid of common video game tropes as some of you think. I mean have you seen some of the popular shit on mobile phones? Or how about Pokemon Go? I could see this appealing to a wide audience. This looks way more fun than Wii Fit. I may actually get this. And not because it provides a hardcore experience, because it definitely does NOT. It just looks like it makes exercise, something I hate, into something a hell of a lot more engaging. I think this is what became of Nintendo's Quality of Life project.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

Boxing and jogging are the only ones which caused you to break a sweat? The running, rows, squats, pushups, lunges, planks, jackknifes, Those are both moderate exercises, the

Wii Fit games were never intended for heavy workouts. More around strengthening certain muscles that standard workouts tend to miss that really help with form and balance; also, and this can’t be understated, there is a significant mind/concentration portion to the routines. It’s something you can do every day. It’s also a lot of fun, and it will compliment your other workouts. It’s also (and this might just be me) one of the more fun video games of the past 20 years.

If you’re looking for simple aerobics, yes Just Dance is probably one of the greatest things ever when it comes to that... and that’s a major reason why I would love to see an integrated tracker for all applications. I’d love to see all the different sorts of games integrated.

Also, I’d like to see a weight training game. I am a big fan of the free weights, and I think they’d work well for a game... I realize the potential for damage that might open them to being sued, though. That’s my guess as to why this never happened.

Wii Fit and Just Dance are probably the two games I thought were the best use of the accelerometer controls on Wii (as opposed to the gyroscopic and IR motion controls: RE4, Scarface, and Godfather did the IR aiming the best, and it was probably the golf games that used the gyroscopic controls best, I didn’t really get too much into the precision motion gaming).

I think I'd go with Red Steel 2, Skyward Sword, and Wii Sports Resort as the best use of motion controls on Wii myself.

I also played a fair bit of Wii Fit back in 2009/2010 after we bought it for my Mum, and I have to say some of the minigames were actually pretty fun. people may love to hang shit on it, but Wii Fit was a quality product that deserved its success.

HylianSwordsman said:
Casual folk aren't as afraid of common video game tropes as some of you think. I mean have you seen some of the popular shit on mobile phones? Or how about Pokemon Go? I could see this appealing to a wide audience. This looks way more fun than Wii Fit. I may actually get this. And not because it provides a hardcore experience, because it definitely does NOT. It just looks like it makes exercise, something I hate, into something a hell of a lot more engaging. I think this is what became of Nintendo's Quality of Life project.

I also suspect this is what their fabled Quality of Life project turned into.

However, I think the kind of customers that propelled Wii Fit to 20 million will largely overlook this, as it just doesn't seem as marketable or accessible. While it may be more engaging to an established gamer, it just doesn't sell itself as a trendy lifestyle/health must-have in the way that Wii Fit did.   

It's fate will be similar to LABO I imagine; it won't be an outright failure but its sales will be relatively modest.

All that said, at least it can't be said that Nintendo don't try new and unusual things, and I appreciate that in this increasingly homogeneous and predictable industry.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 13 September 2019

curl-6 said:
HylianSwordsman said:

However, I think the kind of customers that propelled Wii Fit to 20 million will largely overlook this, as it just doesn't seem as marketable or accessible. While it may be more engaging to an established gamer, it just doesn't sell itself as a trendy lifestyle/health must-have in the way that Wii Fit did.   

It's fate will be similar to LABO I imagine; it won't be an outright failure but its sales will be relatively modest.

All that said, at least it can't be said that Nintendo don't try new and unusual things, and I appreciate that in this increasingly homogeneous and predictable industry.

If I had to guess, it won't come anywhere near Wii Fit, but through no fault of its own. It'll probably do better than LABO, but not be a 10+ million seller or anything. We just don't live in the same era of gaming anymore. The blue ocean of new customers Nintendo found in the Wii era all went to smart phones. Bringing them back won't be that easy. Especially since the easiest way to get them to buy a Switch would be the Lite, but this game probably won't work on the Lite. Point being though, when I said "wide audience" before, I didn't mean that this will see Wii Fit like sales, just that a lot of casual people won't be turned off by the game mechanics, so it won't just appeal to the hardcore.

A lot of people think Nintendo is trying to appeal to the Wii Fit crowd but what if they're actually trying to appeal to parents with fat kids?

HylianSwordsman said:
curl-6 said:

If I had to guess, it won't come anywhere near Wii Fit, but through no fault of its own. It'll probably do better than LABO, but not be a 10+ million seller or anything. We just don't live in the same era of gaming anymore. The blue ocean of new customers Nintendo found in the Wii era all went to smart phones. Bringing them back won't be that easy. Especially since the easiest way to get them to buy a Switch would be the Lite, but this game probably won't work on the Lite. Point being though, when I said "wide audience" before, I didn't mean that this will see Wii Fit like sales, just that a lot of casual people won't be turned off by the game mechanics, so it won't just appeal to the hardcore.

Yeah the rise of smartphones completely changed the gaming paradigm compared to the Wii/DS era, and there's no putting that genie back in the bottle now. 

If I had to guess I'd say this will probably trundle to around 2 million or thereabouts lifetime. That should be enough to turn a mild profit, so it won't be a failure, I just don't see it becoming a breakout hit.

Vodacixi said:
I love the idea. Too bad it doesn't support co-op play. This would be awesome to play with a friendo or your couple...

Well, I don't know about that, but I'd love to pay a hooker to play it with me.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."